Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've heard of people using a steering box and column from a R model.   Also remember someone on here talking about freightliner parts.   I'd like to learn about the freightliner parts myself.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a steering box off a mack fire truck  and mounted it in front of the axle about where a freightliner or pete is mounted. I got a air compressor off a later motor 675? and a vaine pump that fit on the pump. I had to make an extention on the oil dipstick. I modified the adapter plate between the pump and compressor. I then got a steering colum off an old r model and used the spine for the steering wheel so I could use a latter wheel. I cut the spline off and welded it on a dom tube after some lathe work i made a shaft that i could slip a yoke on that i took off a volvo conventional i had to modify that too. I then made a new outer steering colum out of dom so i could use the spring preload tensioner like mack did. I made a bracket that i mounted the oil tank on between the injector pump and the inner fender. I have no idea what the pump was on but it ran the wrong direction so i took it apart and reversed the vaine center housing, I got a nice heavy front bumper and made brackets to mount it so i could spread out the extra stain on the front frame end.  The bumper ended sticking out about 5 inches more then the one that was on it, i then covered the spread with a sheet of aluminum plate. that stock steering box assm. is damn heavy so if you go about removing it be real carefull i did it buy my self and i had my hands full. I don't think this job is for the faint of hart U need a lathe milling machine stick mig tig welder torches and a plasma band saws another words a complete machine shop right next to the truck it helps. In the end i can use 2 fingers to steer it setting on the road. It was  quite a pain in the butt to do but i enjoyed doing it. If i can talk my cousin into showing me how to put some pictures on this sight i will be more than happy to show the setup. I know one thing i can do fabwork way better than i can spell. I hope you can get some ideas to help you out. Happy welding. O mack did have a b model power steering set up they sharred it with brockways  I saw one on a brocky up in n y.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Truck shop there is two models an early one and a latter one if i remember you want the latter one but it is a real bastard to git it mounted with the engine in place before i took on this project i spent some time with kevin all he did the change over several times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, davehummell said:

Truck shop there is two models an early one and a latter one if i remember you want the latter one but it is a real bastard to git it mounted with the engine in place before i took on this project i spent some time with kevin all he did the change over several times.

I know Kevin All and a little on the steering box. When I was looking, some 15 years ago, to do the power steering change over I traded Kevin for some parts and knowledge. The box mounts in the same location as the original, have to drill frame for different mounting bolts. I got a power steering box from him to work with a 6cyl. engine, I have a V8 and this convention will not work for a V8, just no room. Besides mounting the new box the lower end of the steering column shaft need to be cut and a universal joint keyed to the shaft. A short splined shaft mounts on the box and mates with universal joint. Supply and return hydraulic lines need to be run to a pump and reservoir.

I still think I have the power steering box from Kevin if anyone is interested. $200 plus the shipping. I'll go look for it if someone is interested. PM me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

AZB775V8 Have you walked through his yard of trucks and parts very interesting. Last time I was up there he was putting a hopped up v12 Detroit in a john deere tractor talk about making custom parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, davehummell said:

AZB775V8 Have you walked through his yard of trucks and parts very interesting. Last time I was up there he was putting a hopped up v12 Detroit in a john deere tractor talk about making custom parts.

No, I have not been to his yard. Been in AZ for 15 years and only back to PA for family and Macungie show a few time since. He is up for new and different things like that JD project. I made the aluminum fender panels for his black and red B75 that he used the radiator for the intercooler and put another radiator in back of for engine coolant. Can't remember if it was an intercooled Mack or Cummins engine. Think he sold that truck years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 5:50 AM, theakerstwo said:

I remember the B models having a generator that the pump mounted on the end of it.

Mine has said set-up. I've yet to really get to look at mine though. Just bought it and getting it moved to my place is proving to be a hassle

Link to post
Share on other sites

hate to say it but I'm gonna, OK how many old timers covered millions of miles in a B model with no power steering? unless your jockeying trailers around all day with an old B model with a small steering wheel and a 517 front axle, over the road, you don't need power steering! yes there were some B models with factory PS but it was an option and not every truck got it

  • Like 1
  • Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
3 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

hate to say it but I'm gonna, OK how many old timers covered millions of miles in a B model with no power steering? unless your jockeying trailers around all day with an old B model with a small steering wheel and a 517 front axle, over the road, you don't need power steering! yes there were some B models with factory PS but it was an option and not every truck got it

Just trying to help with PS for those how need or wanted it. You are correct there were more truck produced into the mid 60's without power steer than with. That is when you could tell a trucker by the size of his forearm. Got a B with and an LT without. Choosing I'll drive the B over the LT any day. 👍  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was amazed at how easy my B steered when barely moving - as fast as the starter would turn the engine. The engine was blown so I jockeyed the truck around with the starter.

It might be easier to adapt an electrically assisted steering column?😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

 With bias ply tires, mine would not turn unless the truck was moving.  Once I put radials on it, you could steer it not rolling.  It was bearable for many years, but finding the air assist sure makes it much easier today.  Not perfect(like power steering), but better.  I got lucky and found a good unit.  They are not cheap to fix/repair.

  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes as you get older powersteering  is a good option. I live in fear over my back going out on me again every time it gets longer to recover. And now I just got over tennitise in my right wrist now I got it in my left wrist. The first time I took my truck down the road by the time I got it backed in the garage I was layed up for days. So for an old crippled up fart the powersteering is really needed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna figure it out for mine one day.  Basically because I run out of elbow room in the cab when trying to hang on the wheel.   It does go down the road fine but sucks to maneuver in tight spots.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 12:12 PM, AZB755V8 said:

I know Kevin All and a little on the steering box. When I was looking, some 15 years ago, to do the power steering change over I traded Kevin for some parts and knowledge. The box mounts in the same location as the original, have to drill frame for different mounting bolts. I got a power steering box from him to work with a 6cyl. engine, I have a V8 and this convention will not work for a V8, just no room. Besides mounting the new box the lower end of the steering column shaft need to be cut and a universal joint keyed to the shaft. A short splined shaft mounts on the box and mates with universal joint. Supply and return hydraulic lines need to be run to a pump and reservoir.

I still think I have the power steering box from Kevin if anyone is interested. $200 plus the shipping. I'll go look for it if someone is interested. PM me.

If you still have the power steering box I would be interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I just found this post as I begin working on my 1963 B61T power steering and I thought I would jump in here. 

My B61T has a small belt driven pump mounted high up on the left side of the engine.  The two hydraulic pump lines run to and from a proportioning valve that is the link between the pitman arm and the steering knuckle.  Two more hydraulic lines from the the proportioning valve run to and from the power assist cylinder that runs parallel to and on the back side of the front axle.  I don't have any power assist in the steering at this time and I suspect the hydraulic pump isn't doing any work.  I will confirm that when my hydraulic test kit arrives this Friday.  There is a noticeable leak in the proportioning valve so I expect to rebuild that soon.  Has anyone seen this setup?  Neither my Mack service manual nor my Mack parts book shows any power steering options.  The only nod to power steering is the mention of ST-A (Hydraulic Steering Fluid) "Use Type "A" Suffix "A" Automatic Transmission Fluid" in the lubricants section of the manuals .  I'm  hoping to find Mack part numbers when I remove the proportioning valve this weekend.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...