Stemco Hub oil cap?

bran1har

Im wondering if anyone has any information on this. Ive had a hard time finding the hub cap that I need for the front axle on my 1979 Mack U model single axle dump. I just bought it, going through everything. I cant for the life of me find a part number on the cap itself or find the right one anywhere on the internet. I took a couple measurements with tape measure from the outside, never actually unbolted it, bolt circle: 6'', 6 bolts, 5/16 hardware, overall diameter of whole cap is 6 1/2'', id of flange: 4'', overall height of whole thing about 1 3/4''. I found this one (https://www.finditparts.com/products/454233/stemco-340-4059) seemed to be closest, if the only 6'' bolt circle one anywhere on the internet, but the flange measurements seemed a bit different. Anyone got any insight, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

Edited by bran1har
forgot something

You could check the specs on Stemco 343-4176.  It is slightly different.  New design?  Superseded part design over the years?  

Looks like you just need a window kit.  Stemco makes replacement parts for 2.75" and 3.5" windows.  Check out the Stemco Wheel End Catalog pdf. on the computer/google search.  Page 56.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 10:41 PM, carlotpilot said:

never had any luck trying to replace a window on one that old steel screws and alum caps just don`t mix

99 times out of 100, you'll twist the screws off. Every once in a while though, you'll be able to get them out. I'll always try the screws before I pull the whole cap.

If you do manage to get the screws out, add a healthy dose of anti-seize, and they will be easier to get out next time. Seems you have to change these quite often, as the plastic window gets brittle with age and cracks.

• Like 1
  • Like 1