Super Granite

Nothing really Super about it. It would be best of they had a cooler model designation then just a Granite though.

Fairly common up here. Most for the Canadian market are ordered and built as single steer with factory tridem drive and have the second steer strapped to the frame for delivery up to Simard suspension in Quebec. Trucks ordered south of the "great white north" have the twin steer factory installed at Macungie. Simard I believe holds the patent on the twin steer design and has a deal with Mack/ Simard for the shared installs.

It's a set up commonly ordered for maximum gross hauling ordered by a few cement companies here in Ontario.

The ones I've worked on are MP7 powered with Allison auto trans and tridem drive on air ride. 

Replaced an SCR can on a "Super Granite" last week. For as big a truck as it is with a mixer on its back, that MP7 and Allison go like heck. 

Edited by bbigrig

The 10x4s We get down here are called "Metroliner" & are Cummins ISLe5 powered//

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{a5dc5c98-61a5-4997-b9a6-a011e9448066}_metroliner_vocational.pdf

Twin Steer Granite's just Granite "vocational" ..

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{346210fd-1874-41d2-93ad-30a188a20102}_granite_vocational.pdf

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On 6/21/2018 at 2:36 PM, james j neiweem said:

That's the one. Saw a dump set up on U tube like that. Would make a nice heavy haul tractor if  Volvo allowed Mack to have a big six or V8.

The Dump set up on you tube you may have seen was a deal between Mack and Simard to make large tonnage haul trucks in a smaller package....i think they were called Dramis...the first trucks built were on Granit chassis but Simard decided to go with Kenworth and Western Stat as the Chassis supplier.

The truck could haul 55 metric tonne if I remember correctly. 

Had an MP8 engine with Allison trans.

Edited by bbigrig

They still put Gold Bulldogs on Pedigree all Mack component ordered trucks.

In Canada, Mack rear axles are not as common any more. There were a fair number of issues with 200 series carriers in the 90s and 2000s that made customers turn to Rockwell/Meritor or Eaton for heavy and highway use. The Mack axles are also more expensive on the spec I believe.  Even in the last 10 years, the Mack axles have seen a high failure rate for how few are being ordered here. I see lots of Mack Axles in the States, just not up here so much.

We have had a truck in the truck for almost 4 weeks waiting for a ReMack Mack Diff all because of the special carrier housing required for the torque rod of the M ride suspension. Unlike other carrier housings, the casting is different for the upper torque rod mount.

The heaviest Macks up here hauling logs etc in the most severe conditions use planatery rear ends not available from Macks product line.

Edited by bbigrig

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

10 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I thought the same thing. What did they do to turn such a bullet proof product into a dud

Volvo. plain and simple. 

they will not be happy until the mack name is completely ruined. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

13 hours ago, bbigrig said:

The heaviest Macks up here hauling logs etc in the most severe conditions use planatery rear ends not available from Macks product line.

You can get a Titan here with Planetary Hub reduction rears as a factory fit..

http://img06.en25.com/Web/VolvoAUS/{666ac387-2b28-4fb9-b351-0d5529648f9d}_titan_brochure.pdf

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

You could get the Titan from factory with planateries here when they still built the Titan. Some of the last for the Canadian Military had tri drive planetary rears. I'm not sure if those rears are optional on the granite chassis.

received_2169264396626263.jpeg

At the time that Volvo acquired Mack Trucks, our own planetary hub reduction axle design, "Planidrive", was long since out of production.

Badged as SR70 and SR80, high-performing Renault planetary hub reduction axles were offered for many years, pre-Volvo.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30384-heavy-duty-macks/

Finnish Sisu brand planetary hub reduction axles may be special ordered today for severe service applications.

Photo 1.jpg