1948 Mack LJ tractor - looking to possibly purchase

• 2 years later...

thats the best way to fly,,,,,excellent ...keep us posted otherwise,you beat yourself silly trying to run down parts...then nobody is ever happy with power and top end....just a bit of welding here and there,,,and your good to go....saves alot of money,,and heartache....congradulations,and welcome aboard...bob

11 hours ago, slingblade said:

Believe it or not,these are still pulling boxes around Iran,

They seem built on later chassis such as some heavy B-models with locally built L-model like cabs. I may be wrong since never put my hands on one or even an eye below the chassis.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Ive even seen photos of older trucks than this rolling around there Vlad,When I was working in Afghanistan just north of Kabul it was a real treat seeing the older Soviet trucks from the late 30s lumbering down the road still making their owners money,The old road tractors with safari front windows,long hoods with bullet headlights,the older Kamaz,Star dumptrucks that could be cranked with a handle,In Iran,the F model Macks with the flat roofs,actually built there.In Australia,they fondly refer to the F models as pizza ovens.

5 hours ago, slingblade said:

When I was working in Afghanistan just north of Kabul it was a real treat seeing the older Soviet trucks from the late 30s lumbering down the road still making their owners money,

Unbelivable and very interesting. I'm on a slow hunt for an old Soviet YaAZ-210 truck which was produced in 50's and looked very close to a L-model Mack. Actually it was designed using Mack chassis as a prototype. 20 thousand were produced and only one survivor is known at the moment here in Russia. I know a few were exported to Afghanistan and some other countries and keep a hope to find something in that part of the world. Seems like not the safest place on the planet to travel and the virus made the most of borders closed at the time.

31627423.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, Vladislav said:

Unbelivable and very interesting. I'm on a slow hunt for an old Soviet YaAZ-210 truck which was produced in 50's and looked very close to a L-model Mack. Actually it was designed using Mack chassis as a prototype. 20 thousand were produced and only one survivor is known at the moment here in Russia. I know a few were exported to Afghanistan and some other countries and keep a hope to find something in that part of the world. Seems like not the safest place on the planet to travel and the virus made the most of borders closed at the time.

31627423.jpg

Vlad,you might actually find one there,one evening I was coming back from Kabul and going through deep search at the entrance of the base was an old road tractor very similar to these dump trucks and it had my total attention and I stopped and got out to take a closer look,the tractor was pulling a lowboy and it appeared to have a triplex transmission with a V8 which barely fit under the hood even with the side skirts removed,Imagine driving this on the Lahore to Mazar I sharif route? 1,193.3 km of beautiful scenery,treacherous bad lands and some of the most dangerous roads on the planet? We have found the old T 52 and earlier tanks there with perfectly working guns that still ran,the locals told us stories of how they were told to hide the tank so they built a house around them,once we even found an original Renault tank from 1917 there complete and in working order.So its quite possible to find one of these there,however,If it can make money? the Afghans will literally run it into the ground wringing out of it every last dime till its useless,Parts are hard to find there unless they come off another truck,ive seen some of the best engineering there in duplicating parts or even utilizing components unrelated to them to make something work.During the Soviet occupation,troops sowed alot of seed there with the local population and the end product turned out exceptionally well,tall men with green eyes,built like Russians with broad shoulders,so if you can learn to speak Farsi or Dari,you would be able to spend some time there in your search my friend,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slingblade said:

Vlad,you might actually find one there,one evening I was coming back from Kabul and going through deep search at the entrance of the base was an old road tractor very similar to these dump trucks and it had my total attention and I stopped and got out to take a closer look,the tractor was pulling a lowboy and it appeared to have a triplex transmission with a V8 which barely fit under the hood even with the side skirts removed,Imagine driving this on the Lahore to Mazar I sharif route? 1,193.3 km of beautiful scenery,treacherous bad lands and some of the most dangerous roads on the planet? We have found the old T 52 and earlier tanks there with perfectly working guns that still ran,the locals told us stories of how they were told to hide the tank so they built a house around them,once we even found an original Renault tank from 1917 there complete and in working order.So its quite possible to find one of these there,however,If it can make money? the Afghans will literally run it into the ground wringing out of it every last dime till its useless,Parts are hard to find there unless they come off another truck,ive seen some of the best engineering there in duplicating parts or even utilizing components unrelated to them to make something work.During the Soviet occupation,troops sowed alot of seed there with the local population and the end product turned out exceptionally well,tall men with green eyes,built like Russians with broad shoulders,so if you can learn to speak Farsi or Dari,you would be able to spend some time there in your search my friend,

As I said in my previouse post - unbelivable and interesting! Currently I'm on my very first steps on Farsi. Seems to me of not much worth of a trip in those lands with no local speaking skills.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

As I said in my previouse post - unbelivable and interesting! Currently I'm on my very first steps on Farsi. Seems to me of not much worth of a trip in those lands with no local speaking skills.

The young adult males also speak english pretty well,but Farsi will be helpful when you get way out there in the mtns,and to be able to hear that they are going to rob you hahahaha,

• Haha 1