mack differential

one of the front differentials on one truck seems to be taken a shit. it a Mack 202 carrier with air lock power-divider and 3.94 gear ratio. think the part number is 11KHA5458P2

can anyone tell me more about this diff or maybe lead me in the right  direction to fine a replacement. not coming with much in google search.

any help or info would be grateful.  thanks. 

new resized.jpg

Looking for a maybe a good used one or rebuilder. This is actually my first fucked up one we ever had since owning dump trucks for 20 years almost so I'm not sure who the go to people are for this or which is a better route to take..... for some reason i can fine CRD92's just about anywhere all over but seems like the 202 one's are little more pita to track down. 

Im in FL if that matters. 

also whats the difference between a CRDP202 and CRD202?? 

and would be classified as a S462? http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/ContractAdmin/Contracts/PurchDocs/023-16/RRTruc01/S462 46000 REARS.pdf i ask bc i dont understand why some say 3.92 gearing and some say 3.94 gearing. i dont think they would offer 2 very close like that in a 202 spec or are they both the same and people just say either or ratio?? 

new resized.jpg

I would have it rebuilt with a local builder if there are any around you    don’t know Florida that well or where you are  I’m not a fan of used diffs for an every day work truck unless you know the history of the diff  i Did a quick search on google.   https://www.suncoastrebuilding.com/.    Here is one don’t know there reputation but maybe some one on the forum might be in Florida and can recommend someone

Have you considered remack? Reason I say that is I’ve been told a diff by remack is new everything. I had mine rebuilt replacing just what was broken and honestly it worked out the same.  

i wouldnt mind a reman but i was told by someone that works at mack that they dont deal with these rearends anymore. sooo not sure if they just send them out to get rebuilt when someone comes in with one or what or does someone other then mack have reman ones? 

new resized.jpg

iv had this truck for close to 10 years the rear has never been apart. only thing thats been open is pulling the axles to remove the hubs for some reason. the diff/carrier and housing have never been apart since iv owned it. 

new resized.jpg

Most folks never blow a 200 series, maybe a good sign if you can't find one readily available on the street corner. You often just get a banjo crack under the upper window side, take in water and destroy the bearings.

Of course..... I WAS clucking like a wet hen when you said you put a 460XT ECM in it..... 

Edited by Mack Technician

4 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Of course..... I WAS clucking like a wet hen when you said you put a 460XT ECM in it..... 

whole diff truck then that one lol the 460xt truck is going strong. working today as we speak :)

new resized.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Most folks never blow a 200 series, maybe a good sign if you can't find one readily available on the street corner. You just get a banjo crack under the upper window side, take in water and destroy the bearings.

called 3 places no one has one and i found like 2 online used that look like they been thru hell and back but they where the wrong ratio and no power divider. 

new resized.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Oops, no soap box for Jason today. Was hoping to preach on the financial benefits of stock engines.

i see. this truck i found the first chunk of metal back in oct of last year or some shit. didnt think nothing of it. never gave me a problem so i said fuck it. SEND IT! lol

looked the truck over again this weekend and found anther little piece but could be i didnt find it last time so who knows. i cant speak for whatever happened before i got the truck but as long as i had it its never opened it up or much less broken an axle. this truck has always had a slight vibration from day one. just enough to notice it but its been do that the whole time iv had it  other then that you would really never guess anything is wrong with the drivetrain. no weird noises or sounds. everything works as it should. 

seems like the best way it to just pull it apart and look since there is no real sign of anything other then those pieces i found. 

new resized.jpg

3 minutes ago, 2000CL713 said:

i see. this truck i found the first chunk of metal back in oct of last year or some shit. didnt think nothing of it. never gave me a problem so i said fuck it. SEND IT! lol

looked the truck over again this weekend and found anther little piece but could be i didnt find it last time so who knows. i cant speak for whatever happened before i got the truck but as long as i had it its never opened it up or much less broken an axle. this truck has always had a slight vibration from day one. just enough to notice it but its been do that the whole time iv had it  other then that you would really never guess anything is wrong with the drivetrain. no weird noises or sounds. everything works as it should. 

seems like the best way it to just pull it apart and look since there is no real sign of anything other then those pieces i found. 

Had a guy come in once with his top pinion driver and gear driver completely unhinged. The top gear retainer plate snapped the three bolts, let go, and spur was coming through the right-side bubble cover of the diff top. Pinion/gear looked like surface of the moon, but chunkier. Guy slapped a $20 (plus time and material) for me to stay over night and have him going by 5AM with same gears. Put him together and it went 1 1/2 hauling seasons, daily driver, before it let go. Mack Diffs are tough-unto-death. That was a quad with lighter series 92/93 diffs.

It was not a good practice, but times like that are fun because you get an answer to the question "How long could these failed gears actually go before they frag out?".       

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

. Mack Diffs are tough-unto-death. That was a quad with lighter series 92/93 diffs.

funny you say that. a guy i work with has like 6 dumptrucks. he has everything from older 1995 CLs to newer GUs with autos and his drivers have broken the rear ends in all those trucks repeatedly. if you do the math he probably breaks 6 rears a year, every year and yes that includes the ones that where just fixed the year before. at one point he couldnt buy enough rear end parts fast enough as they would break them lol 

• Sad 1

new resized.jpg

Sounds like a D-Give-A-D attitude infecting his business?  Don't interpret that as "never die", they do often die slow and can look ugly for a long time (like yours coughing up teeth for the last 9 months).

Smart soft-terrain operators use to pull the window at the top and get a new set of free pinion gears at the end of the warranty period. We would install them in chassis for having pits. Not so much on the 200's though. We eventually started a sales spec policy at the dealership, nothing under 200 for off-road.

Check your ratio, tooth count top and bottom, on the failure and on the received rebuilt carrier......... trust no mortal !!!

diff.JPG

diff 3.JPG

Edited by Mack Technician

oh yea i completely agree. this wasn't fault of the rear ends themselves. he hires the worst drivers bc they are so called "his friends". when we work with them we just pull over when we see them coming up behind us in the pits bc they are hauling ass. truck  bouncing all over the fucking road. tires are just skipping over the bumps. its crazy. they blow up a few motors as well. they rip off just about every bumper they put on. one guy ripped on the driverside door coming into the yard by catching the gate with it. i have no idea how someone does that with the driverside door but he ripped it clean off the hinges. we would tell the owner the owns these trucks and he wouldnt do anything about it. then when they kept braking all the CLs he traded a few of them in for the CUs thinking they where breaking bc they are junk when like we told him from the start its the drivers. now hes had the CUs for about a year and replaced all the rear ends in 2 out of the 3. relaced the full a/c system in 1. bumpers on 2 of them. emissions problems in all 3 which they need to go to mack for that bullshit all the time. always having lights popping up on the dash. and now as of last week one of them sounds like the motor is about to let go.but hey. its good thing he traded those CLs in bc that was the "problem" as he claims lol 

thanks for the screen shot on the tooth specs. ill be sure to check! 

• Like 1

new resized.jpg

6 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Oops, no soap box for Jason today. Was hoping to preach on the financial benefits of stock engines.

I think i agree but wasn't the 460xt a stock engine.