98 Etech E7 starts, runs for 3 seconds, then shuts off

Just started having issues with CH600. A couple of weeks ago It sputtered on me once. Then on tuesday I was hauling a load of dirt and it sputtered and shut off. Thought it was fuel filters, changed them out and it ran fine until I got down the road a couple miles. My tach then stopped working. Now after towing it home it will start and run for 3 or 4 seconds and shut off still no tach. Also brake lights are stuck on. I've cleaned the cab ground and swapped out some relays. I pulled the ecm off and checked the pins and they are not corroded. Running out of ideas of things to check. Thanks for any help. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

It's a Mack E7 Etech 1998.

I am having issue with my truck it starts and run for 3 seconds then it shuts off.

When the truck starts the gas pedal doesn't work.

The RPM doesn't work and when you turn off the key (switch) the dashboards light doesn't turn off. 

Thanks for any help

Edited by Veronique

Check the acc. Relay behind the dash,. It looks like a starter relay. You may have a relay next to the fuse panel on the right side, it looks like a cube,   if so, swap one of the others with it to see if the issue is still there, also clean the grounds in the dash, there is one next to the fuse panel, and behind the cluster, to the left..  there are other grounds outside too. Let us know how this goes..  

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed

15 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Check the acc. Relay behind the dash,. It looks like a starter relay. You may have that relay next to the fuse panel on the right side, if so, swap one of the others with it to see if the issue is still there, also clean the grounds in the dash, there is one next to the fuse panel, and behind the cluster, to the left..  there are other grounds outside too. Let us know how this goes..  

also make sure your engine brake is turned off to be sure unplug the relays! The three second run almost sounds engine brake killing the engine when oil pressure comes up!  An o-p shut down would shut down after a minute!

• Like 1

I just edited my first post,  I typed on my phone and saw that some of what I typed didnt post..  "F" has great approaches to diagnose these issues...   Pay attention...   Jojo

Hi Guys,

I believe the post was for an E-TECH not an E7 (Vmac1 or 2). No throttle response may be because of datalink faults. 

What model truck is it? Different models have different issues. Can you check for codes?

V

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

Hi Guys,

I believe the post was for an E-TECH not an E7 (Vmac1 or 2). No throttle response may be because of datalink faults. 

What model truck is it? Different models have different issues. Can you check for codes?

V

Good call V. Pays to read !

if it’s an rd check the vehicle module under the dash kick if the windshield leaks it can corrode the plug and cause the throttle to become inactive also! 

just something to look for!

• Like 1