Help needed to get to Macungie

Doug T B42X

I have a 1975 Diamond Reo DC10164 I would like to bring to Macungie.  It was re-engined some years ago with a Cummins VT555. It was in regular service as a garbage packer until November, 2016.  The   packer body was removed and it was garaged until I bought it the following November.

It is extremely hard to start.  I can start it with ether, (which I am told is not good practice) and once it starts, it stays running and sounds and runs fine.  While I would appreciate any help given online, I am quite new to the hobby and don't have the expertise to get it running by myself.   I am looking for someone who can come out and fix what has to be fixed, and show me what you are doing so that I can learn it. I am also comfortable working with someone who is not physically able to do the work, but can direct me.  I am mechanically inclined, and a quick learner.  I also need someone to inspect the truck and tell me what I should fix right away, and what can wait until later.  I am not looking for perfection.  It is an older truck, and I just want to get it to a state of good repair, where it operates reliably and I can drive it safely.  It does not need a lot of work - just fixing the starting problem and whatever turned up on inspection.  I will pay you for your time, and can work around your schedule.  The truck is located in Melrose Park, Pa. 19027.  Melrose Park is just outside Philadelphia.   I can be reached at (215) 870-2724 or dougt83@hotmail.com.  Thank you, Doug Tedeschi

DSCF4373.JPG

• Like 1

there may not be anything wrong with it. the few triple nickel engines i have run over the years were all hard starting. you had to crank them over damn near forever, or use ether to get started, pretty much like the old ford IDI V8 without working  glow plugs.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..