White with Dozer

j hancock

Looks like a White 4000. What a "backbreaker" on "Velvet Ride" suspension..... Used to see them on the roads a lot.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

10 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

a reasonable description

Bit doughnut with a hole in the middle and an encircling arm that articulated, or rocked.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I had a 69 Diamond Reo C609, (I think) with no front brakes. A real "treat" to drive bobtail in the rain. No front brakes coupled with not being able to keep the tandems on the ground made for an interesting combination.

21 minutes ago, j hancock said:

VELVETRIDE6.jpg

Invented by a guy named Willets and White one way or another had an exclusive on it.  We had a lot of 4564's in mid 60's. 250 Cummins, Rt-910 RR, Velvet  Ride and 38 rears.  I never thought they were a bad riding truck-for sure when compared to F-2000 D Binders we had with Hendrickson "rubber blocks"- -I think it was called Shear Ride.

I think the rubber doughnet got hard and inflexible as it aged. That one I had was stiff and rode just as bad as 44k Camelback or Hendrickson suspension bobtail on a short tractor. Mine had a 6-71 Detroit Diesel, (220hp) and RT-910 trans on 4.11 Rockwell rears. Ran good without a trailer but different story altogether when it had about 40k behind it. It did however stop very good then.....

6 hours ago, TS7 said:

How did that White 4000 move what looks like a Cat D8H without 500HP+ over those Vermont hills?

Same way everything was moved back then-with a lot of patience!  Think of it-534 Fords and 549 Binders competing with 220's 250's. 6-71's and 318's  And a 335 Cummins was a "big dog" back then:D

There has been literally gillions of tons of freight moved across all parts of this country with less than 250hp.

• Like 1

That is my point, a truck setup right could move a lot weight. A 534 Ford T-950 was a good low cost dump truck. A road builder I worked for in the 1970's still had some with automatics, they were better off road in sand than any other truck. These trucks were used maybe 5-6 months in a year at most.

• Like 1

Ahh gawd, a 534 Ford engine. Hard to make three mpg with those loaded most time in anything  but pavement. Damned bulletproof engine but economy?????

Those T-950 series were a good platform for dumptrucks.

Think of all the 170hp, and 180hp Mack Thermodyne diesel trucks/tractors out there before the horsepower wars heated up in the mid to late 70's. They still got the job done without air conditioning, power steering, automatic transmission, etc.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, j hancock said:

Off brand doing some humping in 1980 on Rt. 5 in the Windsor/Hartland, VT area.

No signs, lights or flags. Just do it!

White with Dozer.jpg

the spookiest part of the trip in this picture is loading the  machine over the tail as that trailer does not appear to be an rgn.

I think it's an old mechanical RGN as the front is sloped from my perspective.

If you look just in front of the left dozer track you see an angle chain run from the deck to the neck. Always had to hold them up unlike a hydraulic RGN which will hold it's place.

I pulled several of them in years gone by.....

Edited by Rob

Drove a 950 Ford tandem 534 with a 5by3 when we were building the city of Margate Florida.unlicensed job site truck! Took a gallon of hydraulic fluid in the hoist every night tried to split it one time and the tranny stuck in two gears! Had enough power to just use the main but I had to try! What a brute! Drove a well maintained one of them in a car hauler would outrun most diesels til you had to stop for gas! Running rural Pa and Wva had to fill up in little gas stations with the trailer sticking out in the street! Today's drivers don't know what they're missing!

• Like 1