Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Cleaning on the shop some more:

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:32 AM, Rob said:

I'm wanting to continue to clean and make room on the shop floor so am working at the front to unbury one of my RL-797LST trucks. This one has a perforated liner and I had a new set manufactured. New pistons by Arias, rings by Hastings, and NOS bearings. The gasket set is OEM Mack and was still supported about five years ago. Later this week or early next, I'm going to get the engine and trans out, then pick the cab from the frame as I have another in much better condition purchased since the photos were taken. Was going to rebuild this cab and got a start on it but it really is rusty in the structure so drawing it to a close. It'll be great as a parts donor and the replacement will be built up on a stand. I'll then get the chassis out back of the shop to gain floor space. I'm wanting to get back onto my B-61 and see if I can get it on the road this summer.

012_1.JPG

013_1.JPG

Just wondering if you could get a picture of the radiator mounts, both on the frame and the radiator, and the front spring hangars on this truck. The high HP motors had a different set up than the Mack straight sixes and I've never managed to get a close look at how it all goes together. I can see that the radiator was deeper and the front cross member isn't there but I thought this and the spring hangers were a one piece casting. Also where does the lower radiator hose attach? All for a future model project.

My other RL797LST is all together and I'll grab photos from it too. Same engine and driveline in it too.

Rob

Made these brackets today to mount this engine into a cradle. Both sides fit well but are not finish welded up yet.  I'll run for some 2X2X1/4 steel tube tomorrow to get some legs built up. These will weld to the bottom flat of the brackets shown in the photos.

Here is a photo of the SAE flywheel housing pads:

IMG_0495.JPG.232afb9aaccbaeabd87e71d56c8cbbf0.JPG

I made the mounts from this 6" section of beam:

IMG_0498.JPG.c772c87305f82d8dd617f85d7fb57794.JPG

After jigging up and cutting them in my bandsaw, then laying out the holes and drilling by hand:

IMG_0502.JPG.a360d8e23abf0b0434d4079858d48091.JPG

Large 5/8"X11tpi bolt to test fit. After I discovered the hole alignment was good, I bolted them up solid. IMG_0505.JPG.7e9b9ba5796dbfc9be981ed9ef2f4c0b.JPG

Tomorrow when I get the steel for the legs I'll weld everything up solid.

• Like 1

Yes it is an 866 engine and original to the chassis. The truck does have a Mack transmission so the rear mounts are on the transmission. These holes shown are to secure mountings for my engine stand and are not used in the truck. This is why they were fully caked shut with grime. The sixes, and V8 engines used the same radiator in the RL700 series. The V8's used dual upper radiator hoses, and the six cylinder engines used a single upper hose. There was a blanking plate which bolted onto the unused top tank radiator port.

I'll try to remember to snap you some photos tomorrow. I've been traveling and not working the shop for a few days.

Rob

Does this mean that if a non Mack transmission was used then the motor would mount by the bell housing? Looking forward to the pics.

Thank you.

Alastair

1 hour ago, Whiskymack said:

Does this mean that if a non Mack transmission was used then the motor would mount by the bell housing? Looking forward to the pics.

Thank you.

Alastair

For the most part that is accurate although I've seen a variant of Spicer transmissions utilizing the same moutings setup as Mack. All Fuller transmissions mount to the SAE flywheel housings from what I've seen over the years.