Superliner variations

Can anyone tell me what engines each of these RW model numbers designate?  I realize some of these were very low production variations.  

RW612 
RW632 
RW633 
RW643 
RW652 
RW653 
RW712 
RW732 
RW733 
RW743 
RW752 
RW753

10 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Why did they skip 2 for engine models? Is there a secret engine we don't Know about?

Maybe the supply of dilithium crystals dried up during development and engineering was afraid they couldn't complete their "five year mission".

I don't know but had wondered that in years past. Always thought Hercules, or Continental should have been in the power mix but both of those were absorbed by the White Motors corp. and they built trucks also.  

• Haha 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

3 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Why did they skip 2 for engine models? Is there a secret engine we don't Know about?

2 was for Thermodyne Gas engines, NLA by than

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

2 was for Thermodyne Gas engines, NLA by than

A gasoline powerplant would never have crossed my mind into the mid and late 1970's as everything was switching to diesel quickly.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm talking about the 4th and 5th digit in these codes.  For instance, what's the difference between a 32 and 33?  Or a 52 and a 53?  And what's a 43?  These are all different model engines, correct?  

The 50 series referred to Caterpillar engines. I believe the 40 series was Detroit with 30 series being Cummins. I'm not really certain on any of them except Caterpillar.

59 minutes ago, sodly said:

I'm talking about the 4th and 5th digit in these codes.  For instance, what's the difference between a 32 and 33?  Or a 52 and a 53?  And what's a 43?  These are all different model engines, correct?  

56ec89e59200c_MackEngineCodes1a.thumb.jpg.5bf78bc36f6855dd65c2be8b3219656d.jpg.3e3c9a584849f29a4faec578c713fb88.jpg

56ec89fb5f574_Mackenginecodes2.thumb.jpg.5014f6970f31bd4c91341aa29b68b4a8.jpg.7e649b0099112812574cafbeffaf548e.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 4/15/2018 at 9:08 PM, sodly said:

Can anyone tell me what engines each of these RW model numbers designate?  I realize some of these were very low production variations.  

RW612 
RW632 
RW633 
RW643 
RW652 
RW653 
RW712 
RW732 
RW733 
RW743 
RW752 
RW753

I am sorry my post answering this question with a full explanation was not understood.

So. let's see if this will work

612- lighter chassis, Mack brand engine (six or eight cylinder), single axle suspension.

613- lighter chassis, Mack brand engine, tandem suspension

632 light chassis, Cummins brand engine, single suspension

633 light chassis, Cummins, tandem

643 light chassis, Detroit engine, tandem

etc.

1 is Mack, 3 is Cummins, 4 Detroit 5 CAT        FOURTH DIGIT

2 single axle, 3 tandem                                        FIFTH DIGIT

This system started with the MH Ultraliner (1980) than Super than Mack CH and CL  etc.

Hayward RWs used the old engine code system.  The new system identifies the ENGINE BRAND not a specific model of engine.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

38 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Mack Superliner II introduction letter showing new model identification system.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=29843

Thanks for posting this Jim.

As always , I learn something new all the time on here.

A little off topic but…….I found the trim levels very interesting. I always thought it had to do with floor covering, and door panels and such. I had no idea it was colour. I have a trim level 3 (blue) in my RD. A trim level 2 (silver) in my R  . 

Keith 

On 4/17/2018 at 8:37 AM, j hancock said:

I am sorry my post answering this question with a full explanation was not understood.

So. let's see if this will work

612- lighter chassis, Mack brand engine (six or eight cylinder), single axle suspension.

613- lighter chassis, Mack brand engine, tandem suspension

632 light chassis, Cummins brand engine, single suspension

633 light chassis, Cummins, tandem

643 light chassis, Detroit engine, tandem

etc.

1 is Mack, 3 is Cummins, 4 Detroit 5 CAT        FOURTH DIGIT

2 single axle, 3 tandem                                        FIFTH DIGIT

This system started with the MH Ultraliner (1980) than Super than Mack CH and CL  etc.

Hayward RWs used the old engine code system.  The new system identifies the ENGINE BRAND not a specific model of engine.

Aaaah... the light is coming on now!  Thanks, j. hancock!