got the jaguar out for the first time this year.

Ezrider

7 minutes ago, h67st said:

Something's wrong with your car...the needle went past the red line on the gauge.

lol yeah still have not messed with getting the tach to read right yet. but im pretty used to what the gauge reads compared to what the real rpm is. 2 extra pulses per revolution throws things off a bit

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Pretty cool. What engine is in that car? Sounds like an American V8 engine?

yeah its a small block Chevy currently running vortec heads and a lt4 hot cam. 

5ad3f62722129_2016-11-2015_08_07.thumb.jpg.452154fb367f8cc112dd4aae2f6f5c3a.jpg

5ad3f645d512f_2016-12-1809_08_14.thumb.jpg.550300f0892ba679d5d6cf0bf28f10b4.jpg

5ad3f6b13a231_2017-07-1317_41_49.thumb.jpg.f47f49ea709fa43c898df8fab2377696.jpg

here are a couple pictures from putting it together, i think it was last winter/spring i put this car together did the engine over the winter then did engine swap in like less than a week. iv still got some stuff to sort out on the car but over all it works really well. 

• Like 2

Old style "Ram Horn" exhaust manifolds or are those something different? I've really not been around Chevrolet builds in about 30 years or so. I went into the Navy in the early 80's and haven't much exposure to the newer stuff. Center bolt valve covers came out while I was in the military is how long it's been. I see you stayed with carburetor and a hi rise manifold.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

yeah there 2.5 inch rams horn manifolds. there mostly for fitment but they don't flow bad esp if you clean them up. they say there is only one header made that fits this swap and there not a very good design. ill probably make a custom set of headers for it eventually...lol in the next 1-10 years. the heads are vortec truck heads from 96-00 chevy trucks, best flowing factory head Chevy ever put out modified a bit in the spring seats and guides as well as springs and a few other things. to handle a .525 lift camshaft. exaust side ports have a little clean up work done and guide profiled 

its claimed to be a 400hp engine combo i think its a bit shy of that. have not had it on a dyno and its not totally dialed in yet either. 

plans include more power. 

• Like 1

I really like my XJ8. At this point after 4 years it is probably going to be replaced however.  I hate to let her go. I like the response from the 4.0 It's amazing to me that such a small V8 can drive so well & get such good fuel mileage.

10681495_10204154892904596_411599184_n.jpg

• Like 1

The XJ8 isn't much fun in anything but sunshine.  It likes to hydroplane in heavy rain and I have twice looped it around at the top of the exit ramp from I69 south bound onto US 30 west bound.  Both times very cold, but mostly dry roads.  Somehow I found the only small slick spot there was at the top of that ramp but managed to keep it off both the inside & outside walls.  The 2nd time it happened I did a little better job of keeping my wits about me. As she came around I bumped it into neutral then when we were rolling backwards I put it in reverse, nailed it, cranked it around and back to neutral then into drive and drove out of it almost like I knew what I was doing.  Maybe Hal Needham wasn't the best choice of hero's when I was 13, 14, 15....

• Like 1

I always called those "Rockford spins" when I played with my remote control cars way back in the 70's.  Haven't really felt the need to try it in a full size car......LOL!!!  At least haven't found a place big enough to experiment.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

only time i have ever ended up completely spun around unintentionally as in not screwing around in a semi-safe place. was probably 8-9 years ago something like that was December i remember i was driving a pickup out to Oregon from nd to visit my dad for Christmas. really early morning hours. i think i was around miles city mt if memory serves. im driving along cruse control set on 75-80 mph. had not seen a single rain drop or snow flake in the headlight but remember thinking oh looks like they just re-paved this road. (first clue right they don't repave roads in late December...lol) went under a over when i came out the other side i felt a little bit of a wiggle. first thought was must be getting windy out. then it dawns on me hey maybe the road is icy i should probably slow down a little bit. so i tap the break pedal to kick the cruse control out and it starts fish tailing i lost it did a couple 360's down the middle of the interstate ended up facing the right direction looked down and i was still at 65. eased off onto the shoulder of the road to clean my pants and move some things that had gotten thrown around in the truck and you couldn't even walk on the road without holding onto the side of the pickup. eased up the shoulder of the road till i could get off the highway and waited for the salt shakers to go by a few times. apparently some freezing rain had just moved threw the area just ahead of me. 

i ended up making a jag video sooner than i planned. i had planned to save that footage for a carb tuning video im planning on doing but i got a little excited and made a early video....lol i ordered some different stuff online for that so i have to wait till that shows up its got a really bad lean spot at steady state throttle just slightly accelerating so i ordered some different power valves also ordered a holly vacuum secondary spring quick change kit (hoping it will work on the summit racing house carb (motorcraft shoebox knock off) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I always called those "Rockford spins" when I played with my remote control cars way back in the 70's.  Haven't really felt the need to try it in a full size car......LOL!!!  At least haven't found a place big enough to experiment.

In my younger days I had two 1978 Trans Am's. A black automatic & a gold 4 speed.  County roads & large parking lots could make for a lot of fun. I just called them "doing Rockford's"!

We used to do what was called the "Jefferson Slide" at a local middle school grounds. We used to accelerate about four to five city blocks on "Bruce" street, racing at top speed into the school yard which was a grass field and a couple city blocks square, cutting the wheels sharply while still on the throttle. Would spin four to five complete revolutions if dry. If raining, just a long slide sideways. This was a lot of fun while school was in session and you'd see several kids and teachers lining the glass windows watching. Doug Thorley and Thush mufflers ensured we got a bit of attention. Got the hell out of there pronto too as don't really think this would have been considered "legal" to do.....

Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Jefferson+Middle+School/@39.7608273,-89.6359295,585m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x88753965a5114423:0x38f40661aa672cf8!2sThe+Jefferson+Middle+School!8m2!3d39.7608273!4d-89.6340992!3m4!1s0x88753965a5114423:0x38f40661aa672cf8!8m2!3d39.7608273!4d-89.6340992

My Ford "Ranchero" excelled at this. Can't figure out how to copy and paste the photo of the view.

I've since settled down but "Momma" was right there with me laughing all the way.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

We used to do what was called the "Jefferson Slide" at a local middle school grounds. We used to accelerate about four to five city blocks on "Bruce" street, racing at top speed into the school yard which was a grass field and a couple city blocks square, cutting the wheels sharply while still on the throttle. Would spin four to five complete revolutions if dry. If raining, just a long slide sideways. This was a lot of fun while school was in session and you'd see several kids and teachers lining the glass windows watching. Doug Thorley and Thush mufflers ensured we got a bit of attention. Got the hell out of there pronto too as don't really think this would have been considered "legal" to do.....

Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Jefferson+Middle+School/@39.7608273,-89.6359295,585m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x88753965a5114423:0x38f40661aa672cf8!2sThe+Jefferson+Middle+School!8m2!3d39.7608273!4d-89.6340992!3m4!1s0x88753965a5114423:0x38f40661aa672cf8!8m2!3d39.7608273!4d-89.6340992

My Ford "Ranchero" excelled at this. Can't figure out how to copy and paste the photo of the view.

I've since settled down but "Momma" was right there with me laughing all the way.

here ya go rob. we didn't get too crazy right at school some of the teachers were real joy kills but we certainly had our places we went to act a fool. including one stretch of road that had so much rubber left on the asphalt it could pass for a legitimate drag strip...lol 

image.thumb.png.5e741a09b83ebe604c5dd5edcbef3c2b.png

haha, yeah we got a little snow i think it was Thursday they were calling for quite a bit but i think more of it came down as rain than they expected might have not traveled exactly as they expected either. it melted the next day its been well above freezing every day sense. i think were supposed to break into the 60's this weekend. almost all our snow is gone now a tiny bit left in some shady grassy area's and the piles from plowing this winter are not gone yet. but its been a long winter this year. so glad for it to finally start feeling like spring. 

• Thanks 1

we have not had a lot of big single snow falls this year just lots of 1-4 inch storms lots of cold. first snowfall in october most recent last week has made it a long winter. we have even been sub 0 within the last couple weeks. so 40's and 98% of all the snow being gone is such a welcome change. 

i think we got a lot more snow last year than you guys did though. esp around Christmas time. we got hammered 3 times back to back less than a week apart with each one dropping more than a foot of snow over 2 feet on Christmas day we had waste deep snow everywhere and were running out of places to stack it. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, Terry T said:

I really like my XJ8. At this point after 4 years it is probably going to be replaced however.  I hate to let her go. I like the response from the 4.0 It's amazing to me that such a small V8 can drive so well & get such good fuel mileage.

10681495_10204154892904596_411599184_n.jpg

My pop had an XKE he used to drag race in the mid to late 1960's Have to scan the photo at Suffolk Dragway. I think it was a 1962 or so.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

6 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Pops Jag about 1965 at Suffolk Dragway. Blown 327 SBC, 2nd and hi  only trans and 5:13 Chevy 3/4 to rear. Oh the Blower was chain drive double roller no belt.

2v2JwUrGNxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki

Been a long time since I seen a double roller drive on a Dyers blower but do remember them.

• Like 1