Cleaning on the shop:

Rob

It's from an Oshkosh P-40 crash truck. It was mounted backwards in the chassis. That one is 425hp but is "turned up" and I really don't know the power rating but I'm told it's well over 500. It runs very well and literally exploded the transfer case that was mounted behind it in response to an aircraft running off the pavement. Govt. funding replaced the unit complete and the airport authority let me have the engine.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Still setting on it's stands in the shop. Got all the brakes relined, rebushed all the S cam carriers, welded up and remachined the cams themselves, acquired all new brake hardware, and never put it back together. Still need to get new chambers as haven't done that yet.  Here is a poor video of it running.

I just had it running last week and it started right up although it's been about five years since last start.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

27 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

You know your shop is big enough when you loose a 12v71 in the clutter.....LOL.

I'm finding things I haven't seen in years. Look closely at the layer of dirt on everything.....

16 minutes ago, j hancock said:

That's enough projects to keep you off street corners at night and away from the local pool hall.

Don't forget the "Cathouse" too.....

On 4/15/2018 at 8:41 PM, Freightrain said:

You know your shop is big enough when you loose a 12v71 in the clutter.....LOL.

Today was nice so I worked outside at the shop. Spent about 1/2 the day dragging the driveway, (gravel) which hasn't been graded since the business was closed. My roadway drag is made from a set of Peterbilt frame rails welded together back to back about six feet long. I used Peterbilt rails because they aren't much good for anything else. Originally they were from this:

Not quite heavy enough by themselves so I line them with concrete blocks for additional weight. I welded a couple of "D" rings to them and chain it to my skid steer so has not problem pulling it around.

Going to weld some addition mounts/retainers to it tomorrow to mount a second row of block for additonal weight. I need this thing to cut down and scrape and it's just too light right now.

Edited by Rob

I need to make something to drag my gravel drive.  It needs some flattening.  Though it is about due for another 80 ton or so to fill it in again.  Crazy how this stuff just sinks to China every few years and the grass returns.  I spray it a few times a summer to keep it from turning too green(though the yard won't stay green?)  WTH is that all about?  Maybe I need to start driving on the yard LOL!

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 minute ago, Freightrain said:

I need to make something to drag my gravel drive.  It needs some flattening.  Though it is about due for another 80 ton or so to fill it in again.  Crazy how this stuff just sinks to China every few years and the grass returns.  I spray it a few times a summer to keep it from turning too green(though the yard won't stay green?)  WTH is that all about?  Maybe I need to start driving on the yard LOL!

You got that right...I cut 4 inches of soil off, put down #2 first, then some #4 and #57 and it still sinks every couple years.

I put a 24x24 pad of concrete in front of the garage door, makes for a nice work area since the garage is full.  No more dragging a jack through the gravel and loosing ever nut you drop!!!  Just wish I could afford to put more down.   

Larry

My concrete pad is 70X100 and I'm finding crap lost over 10 years ago and it's big stuff!!!! 24X24? Maybe I should do something like that so don't have to look so far.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I have a 12X36lbf I beam about eight feet long down at the property I've used for years to drag the roadway. It works well but is done a couple times per year. Easy to angle and three passes usually do it. One pass left, one pass right, then one pass centered and the washboarding is gone for a while. 

59 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

You need to get a blade for the Cub.

Cub Cadet blade.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I have a snow blade, but I'd have to put a few thousand pounds on the top of the tractor to get enough downforce to do any good.  Though yesterday I spent a good amount of time raking gravel back INTO the drive from last years snow plowing.   I try to keep track of where I'm at, but I screwed it up bad this past winter.  Ugh.

Overall my drive is pretty flat, I tend to make sure I drive all over it, and not just in the same tracks every day.  I almost have more driveway surface then yard?  Not such a bad thing....less to mow.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Here is my road drag at the shop.

Works pretty good really. I use a bolt through the chain links to set the angle. Rode the thing back a couple of hours this morning and it's shaving the the high spots down. Going to use a Ford frame rail to mount another row of block to the drag so that should help out a bit too.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Here is my recently modified pet road drag. Works a lot better and I named it "Bull". You can easily see he's ready for work:

A set of Peterbilt frame rails finally earning their keep on the bottom and a Ford frame rail on the top to support the second tier of block. Some scrap steel tube and flat from the shop, a little cut, heat, beat, and welding and it works very well.

Quite happy with it at this point.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Yes it was a P4 series. Don't know why I thought it was a P40. Looked just like this:

Now as far as a 12V-71T in your garage; it's kind of like having a 325 pound wife with three chins. You get used to it cause it ain't going away any time soon so you better learn to like it.

I figure Detroit Diesels are like old fat women. Slow, sloppy, loud, and never STFU.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Did you mean to say an Oshkosh P-4??

And if I had a 12V71 in  my garage I would want to hide it too. But I wouldn't have a 12V71 in my garage. 

If you ever run across a 12-71 that you don't want in your garage, I'll take it.

6 minutes ago, h67st said:

If you ever run across a 12-71 that you don't want in your garage, I'll take it.

I'll look a little later today.....

I maintained that engine for a lot of years when it was installed onto the generator. Kinda know it's history since I took over from the original maintainer when he retired. When I replaced the set, the generator came home with me.

Believe it or not, it doesn't leak oil like so many others. Never really did.

• Like 1