Cleaning on the shop:

Rob

3 hours ago, gxbxc said:

Look for snow in yellow stone until almost July .my son and I went out there the first of June and had snow every night or day.

thanks a bunch. Been talking to a former Navy buddy whom is in Montana and he suggests about the same to ensure all the upper passes are open up his way.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Dragged this out yesterday afternoon from the former car wash bay. It was really buried back there. It's a 72" X 12ga finger brake. Going to make some underbody boxes for my service truck so needed to get it out.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ran through three burial sites when digging the footings, and other trenches for the shop several years ago. Thinking they were all livestock but I'm not any kind of anthropologist, so just shoveled them aside. Property was both a cattle and hog farm for many years so probably, (most likely) animals that perished on the farm. You dig 18" deep on that property and can still smell the stench of urine which make me immediately think "Momma" is upwind of me.

9 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Dead bodies?    Heck he will probably find a village living in the back of the shop once he gets there. 

Just like Paul found on the back forty of his place in Virginia. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Pulled the engine from my 74RL797LST this afternoon. My gantry crane did a great job but it certainly was "tight" being in such close quarters to the other truck, and office wall. Going to need to go with polyurethane wheels instead of rubber as traction is not so good with all the down pressure on the tires I can apply. 

Didn't take too many photos but here are a few I did take:

I'll build an engine stand and hopefully get the cab off tomorrow to shove the chassis outside. I really need to continue to make room for other projects. This was a greasy mess in the flywheel housing and front of the transmission.

Edited by Rob

Didn't get my engine cart/stand made today because "Momma" had to go to the foot doctor unexpectedly. We had a pretty good rain the other day and you all remember how she just loves to stomp in mud puddles and this was no exception. If you remember I graded the shop drive last month and although pretty flat, it's not perfect. Shortly after it stopped raining, "Momma" found this big ole puddle next to the house, removed her shoes and socks, and jumped right in. I swear those big old feet of hers, (I think they look like flippers with toes myself) got to causing the customary tidal wave as the water was displaced with each downward force of her foot until the puddle was nearly depleted when I heard a loud "yelp" for help. Seems she landed on something like a sharp rock with one of her last shock wave inducements to the earth. It was all red and swolled up the next morning so she called the doctor for an appointment. Got in this morning and not a minute too soon as that right club was really growing in size. I guess she got some kind of damage to a nerve or tendon which they gave her a shot right in the foot for to calm it down.

I got out to the shop early afternoon and discovered the right mount needed to be about 1/4" shorter than the left as the flywheel housing for the starter nose was protruding into the area of the mounting surface these mounts bolt to. Easy enough to clamp it up in the band saw and remove the needed material for the adjustment but this leaves too little room for the bottom bolts to use a flat washer with. I'll probably modify a flat washer with a grinder to make a "flat", but the photos should show what I'm speaking of.

Here is what I started with and these SAE holes have never had a bolt in them as the truck has a Mack transmission using rear mountings on it:

Same mounting pad after a 5/8 X 11tpi tap is run through the holes to clean them out:

Mounts fitted:

Initially I made both mounts exact but if you look closely at the mount labeled "LT", it can be seen the proximity of the bolts to the horizontal plate. I had grabbed the left mount to shorten for the right side..... Oh well by the time it's blasted and painted nobody will know..... 

Rear photo of the engine with the mounts bolted on. They are very solid and vertical square tube will weld to these to be rigid.

Edited by Rob

10 hours ago, j hancock said:

Nice to have the right tool for the job.

Certainly does; especially when working on this big shit with only myself. If I wasn't so able to intermingle among all three of my personalities, I'd never get anything done.

Little over six minute video to waste your time:

Edited by Rob
Boring.

• 5 months later...