Jamaican Bulldog

Which Mack models shared the same chassis or platform?

Someone recently told me that the Mack MH, Superliner and CL all were on the same chassis and that is one reason the E9 V8 fit in all of them. If that is true, I am curious which other Mack models shared the same chassis especially if they were not produced at the same period?

I know the R model and U model shared the same chassis but not with the DM even though they shared cab and hood styles.

As a side note I always thought it was interesting that even the F models shared grill and windshield styles with the R, U and DM models but had come out earlier. Did the F and R share the same chassis too?

I'm not totally up on it, but I'll take a shot:

R, U, F- Slightly narrower than the standard 34" width, but splayed out in the front. Some F models from the late 70s on had  a deep center section of the frame.

RD, DM, ect.- similar, with thicker, deeper. doubled up frame rails

Mack Western, Superliner I- straight rails with aluminum optional, one piece front crossmember/engine mounts. and axle mounted steering gear.

MR and LR- similar to RD and DM with deep center section on MR and IIRC some LRs had a drop center section

Superliner II, MH, CH, CL early Granite- a development of the R/U/F frame

CH and CX from around 2004- Volvo frame

Granite from around the same time- Volvo frame.

I'm sure I made some errors there, please correct them.

• Like 1

I believe the granite (cv713) made until nov. 07 is the same chassis as an rd. The switch from cv to ct and ctp brought the change to a Volvo frame.

Learning lot of interesting stuff here. Thanks. 

Where there any advantages or disadvantages when some models switched to the Volvo frames?

I am going to be building a 1/24 scale replica of the Mack MH Magnum with E9 V8. Since there were no scale model kits of the MH made I was thinking of using the AMT scale model kit of a Cruiseliner as a donor chassis and mount a resin MH cab kit and resin E9 V8. 

Based on the valuable responses from this topic and also from a model truck forum, someone mentioned that the E9 might not fit the Cruiseliner chassis and suggested that I use a R model chassis as the donor kit. What do you guys think? Did the real Cruiseliner chassis accommodate V8s the size of the E9?

Mack put the E9 into Cruisers.  Factory code WS721 as an example.

If the model maker followed OEM dimensions, it should work.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Mack put the E9 into Cruisers.  Factory code WS721 as an example.

If the model maker followed OEM dimensions, it should work.

Thank you. That must have ben a rare one. 

I put an Auslow Models Resin E9  Australian spec 500 h.p. in an AMT Cruiseliner with no issues at all.

• Like 1

If you're going to build a model of MH you need a frame of MH, RW2 or CL. Neither of them were represented in a model. No 1:24 and no 1:25. And too probably neither model in any scale at all. Cruiseliner frame accomodates E9 and Superliner 1 either and those frames were the same as I mentioned above. R-model rails could get E9 since there were factory V8's of earlier series mounted onto R700 trucks. But neither R600 or R700 chassis had anything in common with a MH about shape. So only way to make a correct model is a custom-built (scratch) frame rails. And they're not simple to reproduce.

There's another option though which would put you into a story of special kind. I suppose (about almost sure) Australian MH's were built on R700 style frames. So in theory you could get AMT R-model (which is 1:25) and put MH cab on it. If you use AIM one those are 1:25 too. But right hand steering and many other Aussie things would be "a must" points.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, Vladislav said:

put MH cab on it. If you use AIM one those are 1:25 too. But right hand steering and many other Aussie things would be "a must" points.

Do you mean AITM in New Jersey? They do no do a MH cab only F ,G , H, MB and W coe cabs. KFS and Auslow both did a MH conversion cab in 1/25. Here is the one I bought years ago. This conversion is made for the AMT modified Cruiseliner kit.

I've done a Cruiseliner with the E9 resin engine kit from Auslow and an other Cruiseliner with a 866 V8 and added a charge air cooler and piping with no issues. Also did an E9 conversion the the Italeri Superliner from P&P again with no issues.

Danmodels from Romania is was going to do a full conversion kit of the MH Magnum.   search DANMODELS on E Bay to see his resin kits and conversions. They are awesome.   Paul

resin-mack-truck-kits-2.jpg.3bfbae9556fd9a15abd0a6d423c77a72.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I bought a 1/25 MH from this site in Australia. He does both day cab and sleeper cab MH.

https://www.robbosscalemodel.com/?fbclid=IwAR1nYLp7odRDr9KY7B40bmW7uzzhyAq8s-_wgh5-zHXogLOvx21fBRnnmAc 

Looks the same s the one I got from Auslowe in Australia.  Nice.

19 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Looks the same s the one I got from Auslowe in Australia.  Nice.

Auslowe doesn't show the MH anymore but they have really cool Mack stuff.

Auslowe doesn't show the MH anymore but they have really cool Mack stuff.

Auslowe is re organizing. The owner was a bit disgusted with people coping his items so some were dropped. Him, the ower of Sourkraut Models, Whitefang Models, Models by Dave and Jerry from Modeltruckn are all members on my truck model site.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Auslowe is re organizing. The owner was a bit disgusted with people coping his items so some were dropped. Him, the ower of Sourkraut Models, Whitefang Models, Models by Dave and Jerry from Modeltruckn are all members on my truck model site.

What is your model site?

What is your model site?

http://rustycab.proboards.com/

• Like 1

He is only selling plastic kits now.