70's U model

tl1975

Hi, new member here. I'm looking for a 1970s era U686ST (or U685ST)....tandem axle, prefer Maxitorque two stick 6 spd low hole or standard 5 spd coupled to a hi-torque rise Maxidyne. Any tips or leads is much appreciated. Thanks!

You have to do some digging. For example, massive food distributor B. Green & Company in Baltimore ran an all U-model fleet. And their trucks were cleaner (less rust) than units at, say, Spector and St. Johnsbury.

Brandywine used to have some.......they have a clean R-model and CL.

https://www.brandywine-eqp.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=4760529&p=1&make=mack&s=Year&d=D&year=1987&filter=trucks--DayCab&fr=xAllInventory

https://www.brandywine-eqp.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=4745033&p=1&make=mack&s=Year&d=D&year=1993&filter=trucks--DayCab&fr=xAllInventory

5 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You have to do some digging. For example, B. Green & Company in Baltimore ran an all U-model fleet. And their trucks were cleaner (less rust) than units at, say, Spector and St. Johnsbury.

Brandywine used to have some.......they have a clean R-model and CL.

https://www.brandywine-eqp.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=4760529&p=1&make=mack&s=Year&d=D&year=1987&filter=trucks--DayCab&fr=xAllInventory

https://www.brandywine-eqp.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=4745033&p=1&make=mack&s=Year&d=D&year=1993&filter=trucks--DayCab&fr=xAllInventory

Here in New England Hallamore motor trans -89 Cumberland farms over 100 + Holmes trans- Smiths transfer Carabbeta pre-cast  Taylor + Taylor Plymouth rock   ST Johnsbery- AAA- Fierline petroleum Gulf oil  just to name a few .and Paul Roncetti  .those are tractors not counting D/M on the construction side .

Ed

10 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

Here in New England Hallamore motor trans -89 Cumberland farms over 100 + Holmes trans- Smiths transfer Carabbeta pre-cast  Taylor + Taylor Plymouth rock   ST Johnsbery- AAA- Fierline petroleum Gulf oil  just to name a few .and Paul Roncetti  .those are tractors not counting D/M on the construction side .

⬆️ I understand. I'm going to try to do some digging. And Who is Paul Roncetti?

Edited by tl1975

On 3/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, tl1975 said:

Hi, new member here. I'm looking for a 1970s era U686ST (or U685ST)....tandem axle, prefer Maxitorque two stick 6 spd low hole or standard 5 spd coupled to a hi-torque rise Maxidyne. Any tips or leads is much appreciated. Thanks!

hey welcome to BMT...I'm kind of a rookie to BMT myself, but did you ever consider attempting to "put one together" so to speak? Like start from the frame/chassis - find one, start putting things together and go from there. Of course, it would be a lot easier to find an entire truck intact. A small landscaping material distributor near me has an older tandem axle Mack that pulls a dump trailer in the yard, and looks to be a U-Model...I've talked to the owner, he swears up and down that it's really a mid 80s R685 frame/chassis with a 1970's U-Model cab and hood. I'm not totally sure if that's all possible, or if it would even fit together properly, so hopefully someone else can share some input on that. Just trying to help out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...