b61 wanted

robert pinto

im currently looking for a b model single axle for sale. i am looking at one for sale right now but it has an air clutch and air split shift. i heard these had alot of problems. gentleman that is selling it says theres no issues. should i stay away. can they be made to work well or clutch be easily replaced.

5 minutes ago, wingman said:

My B65 has an air-clutch and uni-shift 10sp. It was an old Mason-Dixon fleet tractor. All I can say is that it works!

If you could post up a couple photos of the air clutch setup as I've never seen one.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'll try at some point here when I can. You can only see it from underneath. It is fairly complicated and looks not easy to repair if something goes wrong. It's one of my trucks waiting to be fixed-up and sitting in my barn, and is not on the top of my list to work on yet!

I understand fully. The way conventional B series clutch linkage runs I can't imagine how they would route an air cylinder unless there is additional linkage involved. Standard B series clutches, (push type) really don't take much effort so never realized air assist was an option. I see no reference to it in my 1965 TS-442 service manual either. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Interesting.  I agree, the clutch linkage on a B is simple enough, reliable and not heavy at all.  Why would they want to put an air cylinder on it?  I just assumed maybe for an Aussie RH drive or something with a real weird engine/trans combination.  I know it is more common on early COE.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...

It is an air-assist because you can still push the clutch in with no air built-up, but with more effort. It does have a unishift 10sp. When I get to restoring it, I will have to find another shift knob because the one on it doesn't work. I'm nor sure if I could just put a external air splitter on it like the eatons have. It will be awhile before I get to it because of other projects higher on the list. It runs buts has a bad piston(the guy I got it from was ether happy). I got the parts to fix it and another engine if need be.