Why Cummins for Volvos and not newer Macks?

Im sure a cummins can squeeze in a new anthem but do you really want a short hood truck with a big big engine under it? I know I would not want that set up just for maintenance reasons alone. I still cant wrap my head around this concept of stuffing a large engine under a small hood.  I remember in the 70s when makes built a truck around the engine. Knowing that will one day will come that the need to removed it again or at minimum most of the bolt on parts will need to come off for service.  In todays market I see no real need for MACK to only offer a short hood truck and limit its engine options. Mack has even pushed it self out of the Glider market.. I cant name one aftermarket builder that buys mack gliders and builds them to simplified specs for the more hands on trucker or company. I think thats why Pete and KW continue to do better with owner operators. they can still get a long hood and work on stuff with more simplicity.

• Like 2

The KW SAR exists because of Australian overall length regulations, in most of the U.S. there are no such regulations so no need to build a short nose truck like the SAR. As for putting a big block Cummins 6 in a Mack, Mack did it as recently as 2006 in the CL... Surely the plans if not the tooling for the CL is still around and can be updated for the X15 and EPA2010 emissions?

To succeed in truck making you have to be agile and custom configure your trucks to meet market demands. That's why Paccar and Daimler have both grown their market share and why International is recovering. Volvo? After the brilliance of putting the White Integral Sleeper into production, Volvo has been chasing away customers to competitors for decades now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Given that several truck makers may be merged or spun off during the production life of any new truck that they're designing, Volvo would be wise to design their trucks to fit every makers engine!

Yes true. I wonder if we might see in the trucking industry the trend in the auto industry where manufacturers are able to get more power out of smaller engines that could only be available in larger displacement years ago. We see in the four wheeler industry 4 cyl replacing 6cyl, 6cyl replacing 8cyl and even 3cyl replacing 4cyl. Maybe in the trucking industry we might see more 13 liters replacing 15 liters. 

I think I read once ( maybe here) that this may be happening already in some ways in the trucking industry.

The ISX will not fit due to the short hood on an Anthem/pinnacle the MP series barely fits into the doghouse carved into the cab firewall. The ISX engine is wider and longer then an MP. The Volvo hood is longer to accommodate the vendor engine. Granite has the same issue. 

I'm seeing alot of guys that have d16 Volvo's commenting on Volvo's facebook Posts of the new vnx that they will not buy a new vnx unless they offer the d16 they don't want a cummins , the d16,mp 10 is a nicer motor than the cummins , more refined. 

• Like 1

One of the advantages of the Volvo D16 over the Cummins ISX15 is the Volvo's superior engine braking, which counts for a lot when you're running at over 50 tons. Volvo's "logic" is that it's not worth the bother to do the emissions certification and parts support for an engine that sells maybe a couple hundred units a year. What Volvo fails to see is that the certifications are already done and paid for, and the parts are already in stock. As for volumes, if they had priced their 16 liter engine more reasonably and leveraged commonality of parts with Volvo's other product lines the North American volume would move up from hundreds to thousands per year.

I also find it odd volvo is pushing and marketing this new heavy model more than they did for the last gen vnx and way more than they ever did for mack titan that had their own engine . It's all over social media like flies on stink

Tell Volvo there is more to selling just a few hundred heavy haul trucks. Those sales eventually filter down to the dumps/mixers etc. When a customer has to go to Paccar or Western Star as the only option in heavy haul they tend to buy other products from them and steal away customers from Mack. Examples in Ct are O&G/ Rawson, Tilcon,  Manafort  and Herb Holden.  American Industries is a recent exception but they still use Paccar for heavy haul.

That's one of the reasons for Daimler's success- They can supply anything from a car to a van to a heavy hauler most anywhere in the world in quantities from one to the thousands. With nothing below a 10 ton or so truck and limited heavy haulage options in many markets, Volvo Truck can't offer "similar one stop shopping".

3 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Ho would you compare the quality and performance of the MP 10 versus the X15?

Well the cummins only has 25k Miles so far only issue is fuel filters need to be changed 300 hours or so and it doesn't like to start after you change them ,the starter will heat up and the engine light comes on . It has a electronic fuel primer that doesn't work as well as the owners manual says it should. The Cummins seems to have slightly more power but it needs to be in the higher rpms.  The engine brake holds back a little better better than the mp10 again if it's above 1600 RPM but below that the mp10 is way better because the cummins engine brake dies to nothing and the mack one keeps working you use the air brakes less with the mack . The mp10 is quieter and less rough more refined and they pull hard from 1100 and up the cummins is more a higher RPM engine.  My brother says he prefers the mp10 . His opinion

I drove a granite with a MP8 for the first time the other day pulling a 3 axle low boy with a PC160 and a few spare attachments. was only about 80k gross and I was fairly impressed with how smooth the engine pulled the truck up to speed. The engine brake was very strong as well,  I popped the hood and what a mess.... All I could think was that although the engine was pulling great I know one day will come that all that emissions crap will fail and render it a POS and cost the owner thousands. If I was to own one of those trucks I would seriously look to pull all that stuff off and just let the diesel do its thing . 

14 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

I drove a granite with a MP8 for the first time the other day pulling a 3 axle low boy with a PC160 and a few spare attachments. was only about 80k gross and I was fairly impressed with how smooth the engine pulled the truck up to speed. The engine brake was very strong as well,  I popped the hood and what a mess.... All I could think was that although the engine was pulling great I know one day will come that all that emissions crap will fail and render it a POS and cost the owner thousands. If I was to own one of those trucks I would seriously look to pull all that stuff off and just let the diesel do its thing . 

I If you want to see complication lift the hood on a BINDER with a Binder engine in it! You can barely see the engine with all the crap bolted to it It Is disgusting ! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fjh said:

I If you want to see complication lift the hood on a BINDER with a Binder engine in it! You can barely see the engine with all the crap bolted to it It Is disgusting ! 

The binders remind me of the Ford pickups from the mid 80's. Open the hood and you couldn't find the engine. Just vacuum lines, wires and stuff.