Why Cummins for Volvos and not newer Macks?

It seems that apart from the Mack MHD, Cummins engines are not available in most of or all of the heavier duty Macks nowadays.

However, it seems that Volvo offers Cummins in most of its class 8 trucks along with the Volvo engines.

What is the mind set behind this? Is it to give Volvo the edge and more appeal than Macks?

Does anyone think Mack sales would be higher with Cummins availability? Do Cummins engines work well with manual Mack transmissions?

I know things have changed in the industry in terms of the availability of vendor engines but its odd that most Macks are only available with rebadged Volvo engines while Volvos are not.

I ask this with all seriousness, how does Volvo stay afloat? Seems they've bought out every truck maker they could afford over the years to gain an edge yet they have never really caught on or gained a loyal following. Yes they fair pretty well in the disposable fleet bubble trucks but I'd speculate not because of of brand loyalty but best (cheapest price) just like all other truck makers fleet trucks. So how do they stay afloat continually buying companies out and never seeming to make any significant headway in the truck market?  I've never heard someone say gee I wish I had Volvo.

• Thanks 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

34 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

I ask this with all seriousness, how does Volvo stay afloat? Seems they've bought out every truck maker they could afford over the years to gain an edge yet they have never really caught on or gained a loyal following. Yes they fair pretty well in the disposable fleet bubble trucks but I'd speculate not because of of brand loyalty but best (cheapest price) just like all other truck makers fleet trucks. So how do they stay afloat continually buying companies out and never seeming to make any significant headway in the truck market?  I've never heard someone say gee I wish I had Volvo.

I have a friend with a Volvo with over 1million miles on its Cummins which has not needed a overall yet. He bought it only because it had the Cummins and the deal not bcs it was a Volvo. If Mack offered a Cummins he would seriously considering upgrading to a Mack. So to your point, the brand does'nt excite him just the engine and price.

• Like 2

That's what's such a shame because Mack DOES have a loyal following and with more options appropriately priced would satisfy them and attract some new comers. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

6 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

That's what's such a shame because Mack DOES have a loyal following and with more options appropriately priced would satisfy them and attract some new comers. 

Yes and it still has prestige and strong brand equity/recognition. People who are not even in to trucks use the expression 'as tough as Mack Truck'.

• Like 1

I believe the bottom line is Mack is a side show in the arrogant Volvo mind set. They don't want to make Mack competitive with Volvo because Mack would kill them in sales. Too bad they can't seem to follow the Paccar model and let the two models compete fairly as in KW and Pete. Paccar creates an environment where both models can thrive.

There is not much difference in the KW and Pete anymore. most all of the frame and other components are Paccar branded. They share the engine as well along with cabs. I understand that the intent is to stop the production of each brands individual cabs soon.

A Volvo and a Mack are truly very different trucks considering cabs and some Mack exclusive components. More so than the Paccar product.

Just as the dual sales channel Chevrolet/ GMC strategy works well for GM, resulting in greater overall sales, the Kenworth/Peterbilt arrangement has worked well to target a broader range of potential customers, to Paccar’s benefit.

It all boils down to management’s latest thought process, one or more executive’s personal opinion, rather than what is actually right.

Paccar would not have the North American market share it enjoys today if it had only a single brand all these years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Just as the dual sales channel Chevrolet/ GMC strategy works well for GM, resulting in greater overall sales, the Kenworth/Peterbilt arrangement has worked well to target a broader range of potential customers, to Paccar’s benefit.

It all boils down to management’s latest thought process, one or more executive’s personal opinion, rather than what is actually right.

Paccar would not have the North American market share it enjoys today if it had only a single brand all these years.

I am always fascinated how the very similar Peterbuilt and Kenworth brands strive. All of my memory of them seem that only the badges were different and maybe some hood styles. Was there a time when they were more distinct under the Paccar ownership?

2 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I am always fascinated how the very similar Peterbuilt and Kenworth brands strive. All of my memory of them seem that only the badges were different and maybe some hood styles. Was there a time when they were more distinct under the Paccar ownership?

The two brands have never been similar in my eyes.

9 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

I have been in both the KW and Peterbilt assembly lines of late and they ARE the same truck other than the 2 out of 10 old style cabs for each.

I prefer the Peterbilt Denton plant. The feel, atmosphere, is completely different from the Kenworth plants.

I do like Kenworth's Bayswater plant though.

56 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

I prefer the Peterbilt Denton plant. The feel, atmosphere, is completely different from the Kenworth plants.

I do like Kenworth's Bayswater plant though.

I was in the Tennessee plant back in 1998. After I toured that plant I told myself I'd never buy a peterbilt truck. It was so unorganized, dirty and it seemed nobody wanted to work. The only guys that were taking a little pride in what they did were the guys making the fuel tanks. The rest didn't care if they were there or not. 

The dealerships had to have done a lot of prepping on the new rigs. Because they were terrible from what we saw sitting in the lot waiting to be shipped out. 

2 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I was in the Tennessee plant back in 1998. After I toured that plant I told myself I'd never buy a peterbilt truck. It was so unorganized, dirty and it seemed nobody wanted to work. The only guys that were taking a little pride in what they did were the guys making the fuel tanks. The rest didn't care if they were there or not. 

The dealerships had to have done a lot of prepping on the new rigs. Because they were terrible from what we saw sitting in the lot waiting to be shipped out. 

You're right, the Madison plant was an embarrassment. But Denton is just the opposite.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know what we're talking about:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2009/09/28/daily7.html

https://www.nashvillepost.com/home/article/20403534/peterbilt-closing-madison-plant

http://wkrn.com/2009/12/01/peterbilt-plant-closes-doors-for-good/

1 hour ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

Back to the topic. Is there any chance Mack will offer Cummins in its heavier trucks?

Why don't you shoot an email to the new Mack brand president, Martin Weissburg, and ask him?  Take your question direct to the man who should have that very answer.

Martin.Weissburg@Volvo.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Why don't you shoot an email to the new Mack brand president, Martin Weissburg, and ask him?  Take your question direct to the man who should have that very answer.

Martin.Weissburg@Volvo.com

I will do just that. Thanks for the info. In the mean time I was hoping to hear the insight and thoughts from others on this forum. The info on Peterbilt and Kenworth was interesting btw.

Is there really not enough room under the bonnet/hood?

Kenworth down here fit the 15l Cummins into the SAR, although I admit it has a recessed firewall. It does have a very short bonnet though  

Actually the 70’s and 80’s Kenworth SAR came from the factory with the 19l k series Cummins. 

Edited by Timmyb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Timmyb said:

Is there really not enough room under the bonnet/hood?

Kenworth down here fit the 15l Cummins into the SAR, although I admit it has a recessed firewall. It does have a very short bonnet though  

Actually the 70’s and 80’s Kenworth SAR came from the factory with the 19l k series Cummins. 

I personally think they could fit a x 15 in granite or Pinnacle.  A friend of mine had a snub nose Western star with a 3406 cat hood no longer than a Rd mack 

• Like 1