a friend just bought a gas Mack that hasn't run in at least 10 yrs.or more, rusted well inside any suggestions before putting in gas?

I'd use separate clean fuel tank to get it running. I had a rusty fuel tank I sent out and had it cleaned and coated. You will be plagued with problems if you use that rusty tank. 

• Like 1

I've had tanks boiled, and shot blasted internally several times. Personally, I don't like the coatings as I've seen the product come loose and it's a mess. I've driven old trucks home which have been setting for years by removing the suction line from the transfer pump and interconnecting a remote filter assembly with 5 micron element into this line. Sometimes the filters themselves are expendable, (carry a spare) sometimes not a problem at all. I too would pull the tank and have the rust issues addressed. 90, and 135 degree nozzles on a blast hose do wonders but the process has to be slow, deliberate, and dedicated. Finding a blaster with intelligence seems to be a problem as most just understand "point at it till clean". The tank then needs thoroughly rinsed to remove any shot blasting material. I don't usually use sand but rather steel shot.

Sometimes once you get them home and discover the tanks actually leak like this ole R model:

045.thumb.JPG.6a1e883d1acf5e4acbc124cb4010a017.JPG

While I didn't show it, I cut this tank open about 3.5" wide leaving  a 1/4" overlap flange ridding all the pitting and blasted the inside as it was crusty. I then welded a section from an R model donor tank over to close it up. It works well and seems to have lasted a long time.....

048.thumb.JPG.100ef91b5080059f66a5e8a414bddb92.JPG

052.thumb.JPG.eda7bf775dd5a21b468835469417c967.JPG

After plugging all the holes and pressurizing with about 4 psi finding no leaks, I called it good after dressing the welds down a little bit for smoothness. The tank is still on the truck and hasn't marked it's territory so probably going to be alright.....

• Like 1