Air valve leaking

For some reason the center air valve (yellow) leaks when its cold does anyone else have this problem? Its only below 40 or so degrees leaks pretty good out of the bottom where the exhaust port is the brakes do release but the light does not go off charges a full 120 PSI but gets pretty irritating.

Pretty common once the valves are a few years old due to the hot/cold cycles the cab endures. I think it's an "R7" valve but you'd need to check as I've been away from trucks for a while. O ring kits are cheap but the valve is usually about $20.00 so not really worth rebuilding, (to me) locally.

Sorry for my inaccurate post but the valve is either a PP-1, or PP-7 and not an "R-7" as I posted earlier. R-7 is a relay valve. PP-1 is the most common to release tractor brakes and PP-7 is for charging semi trailer brakes.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

19 hours ago, Rob said:

Pretty common once the valves are a few years old due to the hot/cold cycles the cab endures. I think it's an "R7" valve but you'd need to check as I've been away from trucks for a while. O ring kits are cheap but the valve is usually about $20.00 so not really worth rebuilding, (to me) locally.

that may be true, but what I usually do is just grab the valve and wiggle it back and forth a few times, that will usually stop the air leak.

Hi Rob!

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hi Tom;

Most of those valves only leak during the cold months and are perfectly silent during the warm summer season.

I have several in my parts bin of all types and one of these days when I start working on trucks again, I may use a few on a couple projects.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.