Vibration that 2 mechanics and Mack dealer can’t figure out

RobM626

In my opinion Leave no stone unturned !this may or may not fix your other issue ! However It is something a miss and worth spending 150 bucks or so to try! I just spent 150 on my Honda CRV because my fuel mileage is dropping (No codes ) And i'm chasing this ! They found nothing so I am still where I was how ever I needed to know !  They to a read on it checked the Cat operation ETC everything was in spec so its something the puter ain't seeing physical issue maybe Trans not staying in lockup maybe dirty throtle body who knows going there next thou!  :(

25 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

But going back to the clutch problem would that be a cause??

just asking because my uneducated mind dosnt see a connection    

I know that’s the part I don’t get either. That still doesn’t solve the clutch problem. Only thing I can think of is that maybe I’m dealing with 2 issues instead of One. This truck is a mess... too many people had there hands on it. And I don’t know what anyone REALLY DID. 

14 minutes ago, fjh said:

In my opinion Leave no stone unturned !this may or may not fix your other issue ! However It is something a miss and worth spending 150 bucks or so to try! I just spent 150 on my Honda CRV because my fuel mileage is dropping (No codes ) And i'm chasing this ! They found nothing so I am still where I was how ever I needed to know !  They to a read on it checked the Cat operation ETC everything was in spec so its something the puter ain't seeing physical issue maybe Trans not staying in lockup maybe dirty throtle body who knows going there next thou!  :(

Electrical issues really suck... I know technology advancements have improved a lot of things but it also made a lot of things more difficult. It’s like you need 2 types of mechanics/technicians. One for mechanical work and the other for electrical. I’ve had trouble finding someone very proficient at both

2 hours ago, fjh said:

Guess that rules out a broken crank then  Huh! :thumb:

Looks like it... I think I’m still gonna pull oil pan on next oil change and check it out...

Do you think it’s possible for a fan hub to cause vibration to resonate to the clutch/transmission? 

Fan hub can cause vibration through whole truck. Don’t think it would cause the wear to the clutch as you describe. The wear you describe seems to me like it would be something in the flywheel housing & trans bell housing area.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Fan hub can cause vibration through whole truck. Don’t think it would cause the wear to the clutch as you describe. The wear you describe seems to me like it would be something in the flywheel housing & trans bell housing area.

Yea I think ur right

Sorry is this vibration evident while stationary? if so ,take the belt off and run it pretty easy to rule out the fan ! Did you get the ECU straightened out yet ?

I  still question the balance of the Flywhweel its self , Also what trans are you running ?Mack or fuller? 

I think your wasting your time pulling the pan your oil metals would have showed if something serious was happening down there!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fjh said:

Sorry is this vibration evident while stationary? if so ,take the belt off and run it pretty easy to rule out the fan ! Did you get the ECU straightened out yet ?

I  still question the balance of the Flywhweel its self , Also what trans are you running ?Mack or fuller? 

Yes vibration is while stationary.

I gonna take belt off later today and see if it makes a difference. Went by Mack yesterday after work and they told me I need to make an appointment or leave the truck.

the flywheel was my original thought and it’s looking more and more like it. It’s an Eaton 8LL.

do you think pto backlash could cause vibration?

Edited by RobM626

On 3/18/2018 at 12:57 AM, Mack Technician said:

There use to be a lot of that going on at our shop, but the rule was stealing from a used truck on the line was fine.......never touch customer. Nice to have a spare ecm around when trying to dispel an  issue.

Is there a date code on an ECM?

9 minutes ago, mrgumby said:

We were all just sitting around one night shooting the breeze and a buddy said the only thing you haven’t tried is a new comp so the next day just for nothing we changed it.  Bam no more vibration

was that on a mack engine? I ask because I think on a cummins or Detroit it can cause vibration if the compressor is not timed or something.  I recall a old timer telling me about that when i was putting a compressor on my 285 Mack. I have never done a compressor on cummins or detroit so Have no clue.

18 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

was that on a mack engine? I ask because I think on a cummins or Detroit it can cause vibration if the compressor is not timed or something.  I recall a old timer telling me about that when i was putting a compressor on my 285 Mack. I have never done a compressor on cummins or detroit so Have no clue.

On a Crummins I know the compressor has to be timed with number 1 at TDC so the the compressor hits TDC at the same time as number 1 does and I have been told this is needed to make it run smoother 

This wouldnt explain the un even ware on the clutch and to my thinking there could only be a few things that would cause uneven ware

When it is said that the clutch wares unevenly in what way does it ware unevevly ???? is there a photo of crook the crook clutch ????

Also I seem to recall reading on here it was miss firing for some time with crook injectors ???? this causes the motor to run out of balance, I hope it wasnt run for long like this as may have damaged something in the motor 
Does this type of motor have balancers spinning and timed internally or just a harmonic balancer on the front ( never worked on a E7 so no idea )

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul
  • Like 1

I Agree! I think that is a very  viable thought and worth a try! Would cost very little to zero dollars to do that  if you do it your self! that will isolate the engine from the trans with the exception of the pilot bearing! :thumb:

On 3/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, Lmackattack said:

The compressor is not timed on a Cummins, the accessory drive that operates the compressor is timed. If it's not timed the marks on accessory drive pulley will be off for running over heads.

• Like 1

One ping only

3 hours ago, turckster said:

What you need to do is separate engine and trans. by unbolting the clutch and running the engine. if the vibration disappears  then the issue is not the engine. That will give you a direction to follow, anything else is speculation. 

2 hours ago, fjh said:

I Agree! I think that is a very  viable thought and worth a try! Would cost very little to zero dollars to do that  if you do it your self! that will isolate the engine from the trans with the exception of the pilot bearing! :thumb:

Since this started after the hit and the shop seems to have been less than decent with the collision repairs. Is it possible that the engine / trans assembly misaligned because of the hit and when the trans was removed for the clutch it went back in misaligned?  Now that asked would loosening the engine and trans mounts  allow any misalignment to some what correct and misalignment?  Or am I just off on my thoughts

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Since this started after the hit and the shop seems to have been less than decent with the collision repairs. Is it possible that the engine / trans assembly misaligned because of the hit and when the trans was removed for the clutch it went back in misaligned?  Now that asked would loosening the engine and trans mounts  allow any misalignment to some what correct and misalignment?  Or am I just off on my thoughts

One item that should be showing wear if the input shaft is out of alignment is the nose dowel on the input shaft. If it has wear every time you clutch it the driving discs 

will be off center. IMO 

• Like 1

One ping only

6 hours ago, Truck Shop said:

The compressor is not timed on a Cummins, the accessory drive that operates the compressor is timed. If it's not timed the marks on accessory drive pulley will be off for running over heads.

The single cylinder compressor is timed to a cummins engine.Not many guys know it and i dont know if it matters but look at a shop manual

glenn akers