Vibration that 2 mechanics and Mack dealer can’t figure out

RobM626

Ohh man is that true. If reciprocating parts are not weight matched during overhaul, all kinds of vibration problems come forth. Is the same shop you are attempting to use the one that did the inframe or overhaul? If so, there may be a hidden story there.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

34 minutes ago, Rob said:

Ohh man is that true. If reciprocating parts are not weight matched during overhaul, all kinds of vibration problems come forth. Is the same shop you are attempting to use the one that did the inframe or overhaul? If so, there may be a hidden story there.

No ...

mack did the inframe about 4 years ago. Everything seemed fine then I started having a problem after my truck got hit in the front after someone in my yard slammed into the truck with a front loader

Shop#1 did the camshaft and a clutch.

Shop #2 did injectors, oil pump, 2 clutches,transmission, pto, vibration damper

30 minutes ago, RobM626 said:

No ...

mack did the inframe about 4 years ago. Everything seemed fine then I started having a problem after my truck got hit in the front after someone in my yard slammed into the truck with a front loader

Shop#1 did the camshaft and a clutch.

Shop #2 did injectors, oil pump, 2 clutches,transmission, pto, vibration damper

When the front got hit,did it get hit hard enough  to hit damper on front? Sounds like a connection there.   terry:D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RobM626 said:

Everything seemed fine then I started having a problem after my truck got hit in the front after someone in my yard slammed into the truck with a front loader

Is that the hidden clue there?   Cracked bell housing?

• Like 1

Upon first inspection it didn’t look like there was damage to the engine. But like I said that’s when my problem started . I remember picking my truck up from body shop and I went to put the truck in gear and the clutch was soft. Then I started hearing the transmission making more noise than usual. The sound of it spinning got louder. The clutch was making a chattering noise. It got progressively worst. I brought truck to Mack they “adjusted clutch” and then shortly after I needed to replace it and that’s when I was told my cam was bad. I did the cam and a bunch of other stuff. Got the truck back, it was great for a few days then vibration and noise came back . Went back to shop he dropped tranny again and replaced input shaft and input shaft bearing. Was good for a few days then vibration was back... went back to shop, they told me there’s nothing wrong I’m a perfectionist. Kept driving truck. Then I had a bad misfire and noticed my oil level was rising . Oil sample confirmed I had a high amount of fuel in oil. Brought it to a different shop and I replaced injectors. While that was being done I had them pull the pan and check the condition of the rip rollers and cam. Brand new cam had some scoring so we checked the lobes with dial and they were ok. They noticed the oil pump was bad so I replaced it along with the clutch. AGAIN. Drove it for a couple days then vibration came back. Went back to shop and they said it’s the transmission. I put In a new tranny.... got it back and was horrible... worst than my old one. Brought truck back. They said my pto is bad. Put a new pto on . A little better but still bad. Brought it back. They said clutch was defective and replaced it. Truck felt great for a few days. TheN I replaced vibration damper. Now the vibration is back and getting worst by the day.I told every shop what happened and the complete history and it doesn’t get me anywhere

8 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Telling us your truck had been hit by a front end loader would have been some real handy information to put into your first post.

I’m sorry. None of the mechanics or the mack dealer thought anything of it so I didn’t think much of it either until I started realizing it may be the crank/rotating assembly

DBD28890-6F91-46CC-A219-C8B5524E16D7.png

Sounds like its been hit hard so if i had to do any checking i would pull clutch back and dial indicate the flywheel both ways and that can be done with trans still in.If it ok then pull front damper off and dial indicate the crank for run out It may be bent.Sounds to me like your being jert around by some of the repairs.Who would replacea trans for a virbation any way.Only way a trans can virbate is if front or rear shaft is bent.Now some people get a virbration and a gear growl mixed up and they are not the same.

• Like 1

glenn akers

What Glenn stated. You need to cut to the chase and get this project sorted. Was the radiator destroyed in the impact? If so you have a real strong possibility of the crank snout being bent. That in itself would wear a damper out very quickly as it tries to qwell the harmonics set up through the rotating assembly. Any glancing, or direct blow, (impact) to a crankshaft is reason for strong suspicion to it's usability as they are very ductile in construction and bend easily. However that being stated, I don't see heavy damage to the front centerline of the truck from your photo. If the end loader did not hit the truck square pushing the radiator into the fan and crankshaft pulley/damper, there may not be any damage there. Easy enough to pull the damper, mount up an indicator and measure runout of the crank snout as the shaft is rotated through 360 degrees.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

54 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

Looks like a nice looking truck though.  

always did like the look of most R models due to their classic stance, along with the later "RD", and "RB" series. I still prefer round headlamps but that's just me I'm certain.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob said:

What Glenn stated. You need to cut to the chase and get this project sorted. Was the radiator destroyed in the impact? If so you have a real strong possibility of the crank snout being bent. That in itself would wear a damper out very quickly as it tries to qwell the harmonics set up through the rotating assembly. Any glancing, or direct blow, (impact) to a crankshaft is reason for strong suspicion to it's usability as they are very ductile in construction and bend easily. However that being stated, I don't see heavy damage to the front centerline of the truck from your photo. If the end loader did not hit the truck square pushing the radiator into the fan and crankshaft pulley/damper, there may not be any damage there. Easy enough to pull the damper, mount up an indicator and measure runout of the crank snout as the shaft is rotated through 360 degrees.

Radiator wasn’t destroyed and damper didn’t look damaged but I replaced it anyway. I’m gonna check the crank out and let u guys know what I find thanks again

14 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

Sounds like its been hit hard so if i had to do any checking i would pull clutch back and dial indicate the flywheel both ways and that can be done with trans still in.If it ok then pull front damper off and dial indicate the crank for run out It may be bent.Sounds to me like your being jert around by some of the repairs.Who would replacea trans for a virbation any way.Only way a trans can virbate is if front or rear shaft is bent.Now some people get a virbration and a gear growl mixed up and they are not the same.

The tranny replacement was a complete waste of $6000.

The impact did not look any kind of substantial to me from your photo. More cosmetic and maybe a frame rail bend but both easily repaired. I do believe you will find problems with the rotating/reciprocating assembly. Once you get the thrust and bearing clearances figured out there are several more areas to explore.

It would be so much easier if that engine were out of the chassis mounted into a stand. I'll be straight that rebuilding/overhauling an engine and not incorporating a new oil pump in the parts list is beyond me and calls into question the integrity of the rebuild/overhaul itself. I'm hoping they didn't shove wrong bearings into the engine as not fully evaluating what was needed. I've seen reman engines with undersized bearings installed when the journals mic out for standard sizes or just barely undersize. This happens when one or two journals are clearanced and the balance are "assumed" to be the same. By virtue this engine being half assed during the rebuild, I question everything but again that's just me.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

The impact did not look any kind of substantial to me from your photo. More cosmetic and maybe a frame rail bend but both easily repaired. I do believe you will find problems with the rotating/reciprocating assembly. Once you get the thrust and bearing clearances figured out there are several more areas to explore.

It would be so much easier if that engine were out of the chassis mounted into a stand. I'll be straight that rebuilding/overhauling an engine and not incorporating a new oil pump in the parts list is beyond me and calls into question the integrity of the rebuild/overhaul itself. I'm hoping they didn't shove wrong bearings into the engine as not fully evaluating what was needed. I've seen reman engines with undersized bearings installed when the journals mic out for standard sizes or just barely undersize. This happens when one or two journals are clearanced and the balance are "assumed" to be the same. By virtue this engine being half assed during the rebuild, I question everything but again that's just me.

I question everything too. But trying to prove your points to the people that did the work is a whole another story... they just point fingers at the next guy and leave you to pay the bill for the next repair... no one mans up and takes responsibility for anything.  Doing the job right and pride in workmanship has faded away completely 

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Those front bumpers ain't easy to bend and they're functionally part of the frame assembly... Perhaps the frame was tweaked?

They aren’t ... and that bumper was 2 weeks old when that happened... I put a new bumper on because old one lost it’s shine then that happened.. and the shoemaker body shop saw it was new so he made a cut on each side and bent it back then welded reinforcements on the insides of the bends probably hoping I wouldn’t notice.. when I did he gave me some bullshit that he was trying to save me money... $9000 for that repair and he couldn’t put a new $600 bumper... everyone is a bunch of shoemakers in the nyc area

Sure wish you were closer as I'd like to get close up of the catastrophy you are working with and had the pleasure of paying for. Any chance you could get the engine out and ship it here? I have an engine run stand but would need to make mounts, (easy) for an E-7 series to run it.

Front bumpers fold like paper when they contact dirt, another truck, or in this instance an end loader. They pull back fairly easy too with controlled hydraulic force but it should have been replaced in your case if insurance was involved.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Sure wish you were closer as I'd like to get close up of the catastrophy you are working with and had the pleasure of paying for. Any chance you could get the engine out and ship it here? I have an engine run stand but would need to make mounts, (easy) for an E-7 series to run it.

Front bumpers fold like paper when they contact dirt, another truck, or in this instance an end loader. They pull back fairly easy too with controlled hydraulic force but it should have been replaced in your case if insurance was involved.

I wish I was closer too... it’s gonna be hard getting that motor out and sending it, especially with spring coming  and downtime being a hard thing to deal with. Let me see what I find out this week and I’ll let you know ... thank you

I have a friend in TX dealing in salvage trucks with two E7-350 engines that are known to be runners. No more information than that but I'd wager a thousand would get one of them purchased as they are informed of the dilimma you have been through and willing to cut a deal.

Nothing in it for me and you will deal direct if interested.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I have a friend in TX dealing in salvage trucks with two E7-350 engines that are known to be runners. No more information than that but I'd wager a thousand would get one of them purchased as they are informed of the dilimma you have been through and willing to cut a deal.

Nothing in it for me and you will deal direct if interested.

I’ve actually been scouring the internet look for motors just in case I need to replace... I will definitely keep that in mind... someone else suggested that may be the better option ... I really do appreciate all the help... I find it amazing how resources like this are able to connect and help people in different parts of the country/word. Thank you

10 minutes ago, RobM626 said:

I’ve actually been scouring the internet look for motors just in case I need to replace... I will definitely keep that in mind... someone else suggested that may be the better option ... I really do appreciate all the help... I find it amazing how resources like this are able to connect and help people in different parts of the country/word. Thank you

Whatever you end up doing I want to know the problems with your existing engine. I wouldn't mind disecting this to find the reasoning behind the problems, and what was overlooked.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

Whatever you end up doing I want to know the problems with your existing engine. I wouldn't mind disecting this to find the reasoning behind the problems, and what was overlooked.

I will absolutely keep you informed