Vibration that 2 mechanics and Mack dealer can’t figure out

RobM626

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

With the pan dropped, did they check the crankshaft for twist which will show up as runout in the center of the crankshaft most times. This needs done at each main bearing crankshaft journal with an indicator as the crankshaft is rotated. Rebuilt a couple of engines where the crankshaft was not straight in the center from torsional stress and exceeded yield of the forging.

It's damned hard to be at the mercy of the mechanic; especially if they are on the wrong track. The small and "old time" shops tend to work with a customer if what they installed turns out to be incorrect or doesn't fix the problem. Very frustrating to "eat" what was misdiagnosed 100%. We are human and make mistakes and I always ran my business(s) with that thought in mind.

The last guy that worked on the truck pulled the pan and pulled every set of mains he said he couldn’t find a problem. He was also the one who found the burr and had his machinist smooth it out. It’s almsot impossible to do a full analysis if crank is bent with it still in no?

It is easy. You pull one main cap at a time, set up an indicator on that exposed journal and rotate the crankshaft by hand noticing the deflection, (which is twist) while it is still installed. They usually do this prior to snapping/breaking and is usually a result from "dumping" the clutch while heavy.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It is easy. You pull one main cap at a time, set up an indicator on that exposed journal and rotate the crankshaft by hand noticing the deflection, (which is twist) while it is still installed. They usually do this prior to snapping/breaking and is usually a result from "dumping" the clutch while heavy.

He did do that. But he told me there’s a possibility that there can still be a problem with the crank that will go unnoticed with the crank still in the engine. 

They also ran the motor many times without transmission installed. It sounds better. Much better. You dont have the gears spinning and chattering when it’s not installed so it makes you think the problem is after the flywheel

I would be interested in the setup he used to measure the crankshaft deflection. 

Was a sustitute flywheel tried? Was the crankshaft flange face indicated and measured? Was crankshaft vertical play in the block measured? Was balance on engine flywheel checked when removed from engine? 

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2 hours ago, terry said:

I had a vibration once in a 237, it was running but the crank came out in two pieces!     terry:MackLogo:

I've changed two crankshafts in 237's that have been driven in and the crankshaft was busted. Both right at the thrust bearing.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

I would be interested in the setup he used to measure the crankshaft deflection. 

Was a sustitute flywheel tried? Was the crankshaft flange face indicated and measured? Was crankshaft vertical play in the block measured? Was balance on engine flywheel checked when removed from engine? 

I wish I knew the answers to those questions but unfortunately do not

3 minutes ago, RobM626 said:

I wish I knew the answers to those questions but unfortunately do not

Can you ask? There are seemingly many avenues that were not tried or evaluated in the course of trying to repair this truck; all at your expense.

I don't mean to be belligerent but you have been through the mill on this and it's exactly the kind of "Bitch Problems" I always got stuck with when working trucks.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Can you ask? There are seemingly many avenues that were not tried or evaluated in the course of trying to repair this truck; all at your expense.

I don't mean to be belligerent but you have been through the mill on this and it's exactly the kind of "Bitch Problems" I always got stuck with when working trucks.

Ill try and stop there one day and see if anyone remembers the details

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 8:10 PM, Swishy said:

Was there ever a FIX to the original problem

inquirin minds need to kno

WotSezU?

cya

Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t been on here much lately. I ended up doing some work on the suspension . Changed springs and insulator pads and bushings and it tightened things up in the back. I’m pretty sure my problems are coming from the frame . I got a lot of flex going on throughout. Area behind cab where hoist for dump body sits as well. 

We were supposed to sell this truck and the 06 granite and buy a new truck to replace the 2, but the 06’ sold and the 00’ didn’t so we ended holding the 00’ and not buying the new truck yet. Dumbest decision to date. Don’t even get me started   On that lol. Gonna see how much longer we can get out of it. We slowed down a lot the past year. We lost 2 of our main contracts and don’t really have the work to warrant a new truck at the moment. Hopefully things turn around soon.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, cstaples said:

Sounds a little crazy but any chance the truck is bent? Like the frame sideways or pulled out of square? This will cause big problems with motor/transmission alignment.

It’s definitely frame related. Took it to someone few weeks ago and he thinks the body destroyed the frame. He thinks the body had so much deflection in it that it caused it to not sit on the frame anymore and the constant pounding of the body on the frame threw it out of wack. Idk it makes sense. I’m fixing the truck a little cosmetically as much as I can and trying to sell it. I have one offer. We will see what happens

go grab u're self a long straight edge

check n compare

top, bottom & sides of chassis (web + flange)

then do the same to the dump body

also check measurements from front bolt th@ correspondes with the both side of the chassis to a given point close to rear the better

Hoo nose wot U will find

cya

Unless Im dumb and I am 

If it has a Mack motor and trans a bent chassis wont have effect 

This vibrates and chaters etc when your not driving it says on page one or two 

Theres a lot of wives tails BS going 

Mack trans hangd off the motor 

People are way over thinking this

Paul

• Like 1

Ok that maybe a little harsh but 

Mack E6 and Mack trans are mounted in three spots 

Unless that chassis is twisted up like a Twistie I very much doubt and can not see how it can be the problem 

You could bend it side ways and as long as those three mounts line up reasonably well it will be fine 

I have never worked on a heavy truck were anything even remotely lines up once they have a few years on them 

I need jacks and porta powers sometimes just to get things apart and back together and still have none of these dramas 

Truck flex and twist a unbelievable amount in their day to day lives and dont have these dramas 

It isnt your chassis 

As we say out here "tell him his dreaming"

Paul 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, Hayseed said:

It all seems to go back to when the Loader Backed into you.... I'd be getting some string lines out & making sure the Chassis is Square & parallel ...

If It was My truck (which It isn't) I'd be taking It to the nearest Ritchie Bros yard, Cleaning My gear out of It & let some else deal with It.

The down Time & repairs will (or should I say IS keeping) keep you poor trying to Figure It Out...

On 6/29/2018 at 1:34 PM, 41chevy said:

I posted that a while back for the chassis being out of square or bent from the loader hit. The engine could be out of line  and when the trans was R and R'd it could not go back in square. Only takes a few degrees mis alignment.

^^^^^^ We posted this nearly 18 months ago....!!!! &  here we are still talking about the Same Thing...

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, RobM626 said:

It’s definitely frame related. Took it to someone few weeks ago and he thinks the body destroyed the frame. He thinks the body had so much deflection in it that it caused it to not sit on the frame anymore and the constant pounding of the body on the frame threw it out of wack. Idk it makes sense. I’m fixing the truck a little cosmetically as much as I can and trying to sell it. I have one offer. We will see what happens

Then maybe we'll get to know the new owner very well here.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Unless Im dumb and I am 

If it has a Mack motor and trans a bent chassis wont have effect 

This vibrates and chaters etc when your not driving it says on page one or two 

Theres a lot of wives tails BS going 

Mack trans hangd off the motor 

People are way over thinking this

Paul

Mack motor Eaton 8ll trans

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

^^^^^^ We posted this nearly 18 months ago....!!!! &  here we are still talking about the Same Thing...

Lol I know I was just replying to a comment and updating what was going on. I don’t have the patience or money to keep dumping in the truck. The issues with this truck were stuff that no one could find the root of

• Like 1