Vibration that 2 mechanics and Mack dealer can’t figure out

RobM626

11 hours ago, RobM626 said:

What kind of place should I bring it to check that out? A body shop or alignment place?

A body shop that does heavy trucks. What area of NY are you in?

I've always used Axel Anderson in  Medford on Long Island for truck Chassis straightening and all wheel alignment.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 7/7/2018 at 10:45 PM, 41chevy said:

A body shop that does heavy trucks. What area of NY are you in?

I've always used Axel Anderson in  Medford on Long Island for truck Chassis straightening and all wheel alignment.

I’m in Westchester county. Minutes away from the Bronx . I usually go to spring tech in the Bronx for alignment and suspension stuff. I gotta ask if they do chassis straightening 

Just now, RobM626 said:

I’m in Westchester county. Minutes away from the Bronx . I usually go to spring tech in the Bronx for alignment and suspension stuff. I gotta ask if they do chassis straightening 

Medford is kind of a troop out there. I’m very familiar with the island. That place good though?

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I trust them for chassis work a 100% they straightened and took the twist out of my R chassis  that I laid over on its side at about 40mph. track better than when it was first bought.

They use a Bee Line frame table. No heat, no major disassembly all laser and computer specs to check and make it factory. If you can find a shop near to you with the Bee Line system thats the best and most economical way. Sure there a shop Westchester with that machine.

Here is a shot of their chassis table.

3b39b829-730c-4ff2-c287-7d3608a907c2.jpg.1f804bceba5cb809048db61f4c4e6ae6.jpg

Wow nice. Out of curiosity, what did they charge you to straighten it out?

3 hours ago, RobM626 said:

$3800  and was on the machine for 2 1/2 days, cheap IMO

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, RobM626 said:

I know I would go to a place that was recommended; that had great results after what you’ve been through!!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Started back up again after a week... driving me crazy.im gonna bring it to someone to check the frame out ... 41chevy may be right. The motor and tranny may be out of alignment...it’s definately not in the motor. It has to be something with how the clutch and transmission are lining up. It changes constantly throughout the day. The clutch will go a lot softer than usual and when that happens it feels like the power/torque isn’t going to the wheels. The take off from stop also sucks when that happens and the vibration gets worst. Then all of a sudden I’ll be driving and the clutch will get nice and firm again and it feels more torquey and the clunk when I press and release accelerator doesn’t appear as much. 

I didn’t even wanna come back on here and say my issue started again because I’m sure all you guys were sick of hearing about it lol

RobMan

Gudday m8

we all feel n the pain with U

a report is good coz we all B learn n something

Q:? Can U see movement on the clutch bellhousing bolts  or signs of movement B tween the 2

we have a CH Mack n got a clutch job dun

L8r noticed wen up on service ramp some bolts could do with a washer or 2 under the head of bolts

tried to undo n broke bolt.... send back to clutchman n all the bolts had to B removed n re threaded

appantly they used tooo long  abolt n hi torque ugga dugga n they bolts bottomd out

jist say n

best o luck o

cya

13 hours ago, Swishy said:

RobMan

Gudday m8

we all feel n the pain with U

a report is good coz we all B learn n something

Q:? Can U see movement on the clutch bellhousing bolts  or signs of movement B tween the 2

we have a CH Mack n got a clutch job dun

L8r noticed wen up on service ramp some bolts could do with a washer or 2 under the head of bolts

tried to undo n broke bolt.... send back to clutchman n all the bolts had to B removed n re threaded

appantly they used tooo long  abolt n hi torque ugga dugga n they bolts bottomd out

jist say n

best o luck o

cya

There’s definitely some kind of movement going on because when I make turns or go up or Down a hill I feel changes and noises change. I checked the motor mounts they looks good and tight. I gotta have a look at the bell housing bolts. They are all new . The last time I put a clutch in a couple were missing and they put all new bolts in.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, RobM626 said:

Started back up again after a week... driving me crazy.im gonna bring it to someone to check the frame out ... 41chevy may be right. The motor and tranny may be out of alignment...it’s definately not in the motor. It has to be something with how the clutch and transmission are lining up. It changes constantly throughout the day. The clutch will go a lot softer than usual and when that happens it feels like the power/torque isn’t going to the wheels. The take off from stop also sucks when that happens and the vibration gets worst. Then all of a sudden I’ll be driving and the clutch will get nice and firm again and it feels more torquey and the clunk when I press and release accelerator doesn’t appear as much. 

I didn’t even wanna come back on here and say my issue started again because I’m sure all you guys were sick of hearing about it lol

Changes occur on different road conditions, turns and inclines, tend to push me more to a chassis issue.   Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

13 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Changes occur on different road conditions, turns and inclines, tend to push me more to a chassis issue.   Paul

Yup. Before the last guy did the work it was really hard to tell, it was really looking like/sounding like a motor issue. I’m pretty certain it’s not now... every time the tranny comes out and gets lined up and tightened up and clutch adjusted properly it’s great for a few days. Once u start driving and especially putting a load on the truck the problems all start to come back at the same time...another weird thing is, my clutch goes out of adjustment soooo much faster than it ever has ( on this truck or any other truck I have ever driven) I used to b able to go a Couple years without a slight adjustment for free play. Now after a couple months I lose a lot of my free play.

2 hours ago, Swishy said:

???

Cracked chassis 

unnoticeable when the crack closes up

OR loose chassis rail or cross member

cya

I have a double frame and rust started eating between the rails separating them... so much so on the back of the truck that my dump body doesn’t sit on the rails flush like they used to. I had to weld plates on the dump body rails to help shim it a little but it’s still not perfect. While driving it sounds more like a roll off carrying an empty box that’s not chained to the rails rather than a dump truck...

Wish we'd known that when this thread started months ago- Sounds like you may have a structurally questionable frame even before it was hit. If the frame is shifting around enough that the dump body doesn't line up with it anymore, it clearly can warp around and throw the powertrain alignment off in more ways than can be easily counted.

7 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Wish we'd known that when this thread started months ago- Sounds like you may have a structurally questionable frame even before it was hit. If the frame is shifting around enough that the dump body doesn't line up with it anymore, it clearly can warp around and throw the powertrain alignment off in more ways than can be easily counted.

To be honest, every time I get under the truck to grease it and what not, I never saw the frame rust and separation past where the dump lift cylinder is.. I never thought much of it. Everything else seems tight on the truck. I’m gonna take some pictures tomorrow and post them maybe you can tell me how bad you think it looks... I know looks probably don’t mean as much as measurements do though. This is all a learning experience for me. I always thought a truck frame was STRONG. Especially a double Mack frame. I never thought these things were possible. Naive guess, or just dumb.

4 hours ago, RobM626 said:

To be honest, every time I get under the truck to grease it and what not, I never saw the frame rust and separation past where the dump lift cylinder is.. I never thought much of it. Everything else seems tight on the truck. I’m gonna take some pictures tomorrow and post them maybe you can tell me how bad you think it looks... I know looks probably don’t mean as much as measurements do though. This is all a learning experience for me. I always thought a truck frame was STRONG. Especially a double Mack frame. I never thought these things were possible. Naive guess, or just dumb.

Maxidyne is probably an excellent chassis and structural repair tech/welder and has been doing it probably their entire life. It seem from their posts they have vast experience in what is most likely to be your issue. But I'll bet they will tell you the same thing as most others in their business will, unless you physically put your eyes and hands on it and carefully inspect it you are only making a guess. An educated guess but still a guess. Photos will show only a small part of the story. Maybe they are close enough to look at it for you or recommend a quality shop or tech the know near you. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Maxidyne is probably an excellent chassis and structural repair tech/welder and has been doing it probably their entire life. It seem from their posts they have vast experience in what is most likely to be your issue. But I'll bet they will tell you the same thing as most others in their business will, unless you physically put your eyes and hands on it and carefully inspect it you are only making a guess. An educated guess but still a guess. Photos will show only a small part of the story. Maybe they are close enough to look at it for you or recommend a quality shop or tech the know near you. 

I was really thinking about checking out that place you recomended put in Medford. Someone else referred me to a place in the Bronx not far from me but I gotta find out a little more about them. The last thing I need is another shoemaker. 

Do you guys think it’s even worth fixing a rusted out frame? I keep hearing that they are going to pass a law in nyc like they did in California where you have to have an 08 or newer emissions truck. I heard it’s coming 2020. I don’t know for sure but numerous sources told me it’s happening. I feel like I’m dumping all this money into a truck I may not even be able to use for much longer