673 starter

I do not know a number right off but a Delco MT 40 large drive  11 tooth is highly likely.  The solenoid is kind of rectangular. You need to count the teeth as some dogs had 12 teeth. A MT 42 ( round solenoid ) will also bolt in the same place but has core issues if not the same. If the drive and the  solenoid are not oriented the same as your old one just take the the allen screws out of the noise and make it so. 

Some older stuff had MT50's which looked just like the 40's but the motor was larger in diameter. Not needed with todays batteries. There were also some odd balls out there like Leece Neville and ? They will interchange.  There is some newer gear reduction stuff that will bolt up also but some are pricey.

Hope I have not led you astray as that is a bit older then the fleet trucks I worked on. However I thank they are the same. You can look at those units on line and have a good idea if it is the same as yours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carl M said:

Thank you heavygunner. That's about half the price I got from my local parts store. Does that turn clockwise? I was told there are clockwise and counterclockwise 39MT starters.

It says in the pic that it turns clockwise. But if I remember the website asked you a few more specifics about the starters options. 

Edited by HeavyGunner
  • Thanks 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, 66dc75 said:

I just paid almost $300 for one from my local starter/ battery guy for the Autocar. I thought he liked me obviously not.

When I was checking out prices it said free shipping too. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

2 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

I just paid almost $300 for one from my local starter/ battery guy for the Autocar. I thought he liked me obviously not.

Right out of high school I went to work at a local parts house; the owner that I knew all my life told me when pricing; If you can’t f..k your friends who can you f..k. I didn’t stay long after that

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

If you have a KW dealer near by I'd check with them.   Mine was a real delco and not a "delco style" like this one says and I know it was under $200.  

Amen to that...if something says "aftermarket" and doesn't give a name, that's a bad sign. I'd try to get a Delco or Leece.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2018 at 7:26 AM, Carl M said:

I picked up a 673 to replace my gas engine. It didn't have a starter. But if I find an older starter I will definitely have it rebuilt. Thank you for the info guys, it's appreciated. 

Some applications use a spacer between the starter and flywheel housing.  It is no fun to remove the new starter because the spacer is still on the old one. At least try to measure as best you can to see if it should work. I like the Denso but don't know about that on your application. The last core charge I saw on a reman MT40 was only $10.

• Like 1