2016 cascadia no wheelie light.

Hobert62

I have a 2016 freightliner cascadia at work.  It has the DD13 and a 12 speed automatic.  I have it since new and it has around 190,000 miles on it.    Since new my no wheelie light come on every now and then.  Does anyone know its real meaning?   Company is to cheap to include owner/operator manuals in our trucks.image.thumb.jpg.3ce5b70acf426fd1c8933dbe865be29a.jpg

is that thing built by tonka?                  I DON`T HAVE A CLUE BUT I`LL FIND OUT                        well now i have lots of clues and i`m sure some right answers! but the jury is still out and i think there is a tonka engineer involved somewhere     :blink:

Edited by carlotpilot

24 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

is that thing built by tonka?                  I DON`T HAVE A CLUE BUT I`LL FIND OUT

Can't be built by tonka.    Not enough metal in it.

We all just joke about it, and call it the no wheelie light.   

Hill Start Aid Over Ride warning light. Basically a hill holder system

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

7 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Hill Start Aid Over Ride warning light. Basically a hill holder system

Would an automatic transmission equipped truck need that? I've heard of those in passenger vehicles with manual transmissions. Not saying you're wrong, that question just popped into my head when I was reading your answer. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

24 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Cascadia doesn't have enough power for a wheelie....  Kids....

Obviously a different type of truck but my automatic F250 has a "Hill Start Assist".

I'm feeling not so smart so I'll ask why would an automatic need hill start assist? Isn't that what your left foot on the brake would be as you started to lean on the go pedal you lift you left foot off?

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Ricky told me........It's a HSA or Hill Start Assist. It's only used on manual automated transmissions. The button/switch is to tell the transmission to tell the ABS not to hold the truck when the brake pedal is released on a grade. The percent of grade is programmable into the TCM up to three percent grade. The Volvo I sit in and aim has one with an IDrive 12 speed.    .....Hippy 

• Like 1

That all sounds about right.   When I take my foot off the brake on a hill it dosent dump the air out of the brake system until my foot is on the throttle and I can feel the clutch is starting to engage.   It doesn't do it all the time only about 1/2 the time.

The worst thing with the drivetrain is sometimes starting out on a  hill it decides its in the wrong gear and in the middle of starting out it will decide to downshift.   Problem with that is it will freewheel backwards like its in neutral until I get my foot back on the brake.   It only does this sometimes too.      

I only go a little over 200 miles a night with 11 stops.   I do kinda miss my clutch pedal, but I do really like the auto for what I do.  

37 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

The worst thing with the drivetrain is sometimes starting out on a  hill it decides its in the wrong gear and in the middle of starting out it will decide to downshift.

I find the same thing with the Volvo. Trying to get out into traffic from a side street or a driveway. Stand on the pedal to go, the truck moves then, nope that's not the gear we (TCM-ECM) wanted to be in! We'll get back to you when we have selected the proper gear. I understand this all takes only a second or two but it seems like five minutes with a line of traffic coming!   .....Hippy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

That all sounds about right.   When I take my foot off the brake on a hill it dosent dump the air out of the brake system until my foot is on the throttle and I can feel the clutch is starting to engage.   It doesn't do it all the time only about 1/2 the time.

The worst thing with the drivetrain is sometimes starting out on a  hill it decides its in the wrong gear and in the middle of starting out it will decide to downshift.   Problem with that is it will freewheel backwards like its in neutral until I get my foot back on the brake.   It only does this sometimes too.      

I only go a little over 200 miles a night with 11 stops.   I do kinda miss my clutch pedal, but I do really like the auto for what I do.  

The system is supposed to work on a hill either on the up or down side. Since most new "drivers" right foot everything that was why it came about. Got to protect the idiots.from them selves. 

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The DD12 automatic is known for sometimes starting in too high of gear. We have a slight ramp into our shop and I've had several do that. But ours have a performance

mode when programmed for manual shift. The one problem that will eventually arise will be after setting over night It will suddenly not want to shift from neutral to 

first or reverse without warming up for awhile. And the problem will only get worse. I will look up the repair for it tomorrow when I get back to the shop. Personally

I hate the sons of bitches it's made our lazy drivers even lazier.  And out side shops can't touch that transmission Detroit has locked up the info on it. Your stuck 

going to Freightliner.   And yes brake wear has gone up having auto's in the fleet. It's suppose to be a truck not a car. 

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

Most of the manual options in our trucks have been turned off.    I can manually upshift and downshift though.   If I shift it manually and don't let go of the shifter it will hold in that gear.    

The most unsafe part of it is when coasting it will go into neutral, oil pressure, tach, and everything goes right to an idle until I hit a pedal to cancel it.     It sucks when your trying to go down a slippery hill and have to either ride the throttle or the brakes to keep it from kicking out of gear and freewheeling.   

When dropping off a steep grade you have to shift to manual flip the jake on and down shift it to the correct lower gear where the jake will hold.

Not doing so can cause over speeds on the engine and Detroit will void the warranty.  I find it to be less B.S. when the shift lever sticks through the floor

and not a stalk hanging on the column. 

Truck Shop

• Like 2

One ping only

3 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

I find it to be less B.S. when the shift lever sticks through the floor   and not a stalk hanging on column    Truck Shop

Agree 100%.   

Ours as soon as we throw the jake on it will downshift 2 gears and continue doing so to stop the truck. In the 3rd setting it will keep the tach between 1800 & 2300 rpm.  It just keeps down shifting. If I use mine I usually keep it in the 1st stage then it only drops 1 gear normally. 

On February 11, 2018 at 12:16 AM, carlotpilot said:

is that thing built by tonka?                  

You may be right.   Sunday night I didn't have left turn signals on my trailer.  After messing around I found it was a blown fuse.    When I got back in the truck I noticed the digital readout on the dash where the odometer normally is said "turn signal on".   I guess that's there incase you don't see the flashing green arrow right beside it? 

13 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

really    you mean it still uses common old ordinary fuses ?

surprisingly yes.   It has about 10 of the mini blade fuses between 2 diffrent fuse panels I found.  I don't understand how the truck works though.   There was prob 30 empty circuits.   

Glad you figured out what your light was. After reading some of the comments about the truck deciding when to shift and and doing goofy things it confirms that (IMO) autos in a class 8 are too quirky for me to feel safe. I drove one with the clutch used when starting or stopping and I absolutely hated it. Seems it would always shift when I didn’t want it to and again in my opinion would have been safer if it would have done what I wanted instead of what it thought it should do. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Glad you figured out what your light was. After reading some of the comments about the truck deciding when to shift and and doing goofy things it confirms that (IMO) autos in a class 8 are too quirky for me to feel safe. I drove one with the clutch used when starting or stopping and I absolutely hated it. Seems it would always shift when I didn’t want it to and again in my opinion would have been safer if it would have done what I wanted instead of what it thought it should do. 

When I first got mine I couldn't stand the way it shifted.   There's a  3 mile section between 2 of my stores that the truck will shift 11 times between the same 3 gears.   I don't rember but I think I shifted 1 or 2 with my 10 speed when I had it.  I learned to just turn the radio up and not let it bother me.   

As for the light I'm still going to call it my no wheelie light.  It just sounds cooler.    

• Like 2