Mack 5speed swap

Kenny_dodge98

Question

Whats a better trans to swap in my 90 ch613 has a 300e6 and a 5speed i pull logs so im loaded above 80,000lb every load and having so few gears really kills the truck like it takes me miles to get up to speed. iv found a mack 9 speed from a r model  and a eaton fuller 9 speed from a newer ch that had a e7 motor which would you guys recommended and why and what all do i need for the swap other then trans a air supply for shifter and a drive shaft 

If your dead set on changing transmissions then I'd look around the bone yards and older rebuilders for an RTOO12513. The brochure page I attached shows the ratios for the RT9513, the RTO9513, and the RTOO9513. the 125 series has the same ratios, they just have a higher torque rating. The OD ratio is only .02 lower than what you have, top speed would barely change.

Eaton 9513.jpg

• Like 1

We did this swap with our 94 300.  We put in a fuller 9L, with the original 5.73 gears it would top out at 62mph at 2100rpm.  We ran it that way for a few years, but we run tandem dumps and max gross in georgia is 64k, so we eventually put 4.64 rears in it.  Turned the pump up a little and she runs like a 350. You need new tranny mounts, and driveshaft.

+1 on the engine brake. It'll make a big difference. 1) cuts shift time to less than half, and 2) Jake keeps the turbo spooled up a bit.  I would try that before swapping transmissions. Makes the maxidyne & maxitorque a real heal climber. 3) when you use Jake to slow down through your curve it can keep your turbo at 10psi boost if your RPMs are kept at1800+ for long enough.

Note his problem isn't low end, it's 40+ mph.

Edited by JoeH

The finest truck I ever drove for overall performance and power was an R model with 300 Maxidyne, 2 stick 6 speed and it had 4.17 rears on 22.5 rubber. The power you had combined with decent fuel economy made it a great combination for a smaller stance engine compared to some of the larger trucks out there. It was not supposed to be like the Western Star I drove later with a KT600, 13 double OD and 4.10 gears on 24.5 tall tires. That was a beast and the thirstiest truck I ever drove. Long live true Macks.