Chevrolet Trucks - "Champs of the ALCAN Run"

kscarbel2

They mention that one of the Semis had a "Powermatic" transmission, Would that've been a Beefed up automotive trans? or was Allison involved??

there was also mention of a "Hydraulic Retarder" Anyone know more about that??

I Guess i could google it..

But  would rather hear from someone with some Knowledge on the Subject.. 

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

They mention that one of the Semis had a "Powermatic" transmission, Would that've been a Beefed up automotive trans? or was Allison involved??

there was also mention of a "Hydraulic Retarder" Anyone know more about that??

I Guess i could google it..

But  would rather hear from someone with some Knowledge on the Subject.. 

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/64343/

https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79667

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Chevrolet-truck-Powermatic-transmission-booklet-Disassembly-Assembly-/262249786113

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

No clue on the hydraulic retarder but Ford in that era offered a "Transmatic" that I think was an Allison-my bet same transmission as used in the Chevy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Horse said:

No clue on the hydraulic retarder but Ford in that era offered a "Transmatic" that I think was an Allison-my bet same transmission as used in the Chevy.

According to the first link Kevin put up, It's an early 6 speed Allison...

The Hydraulic retarder has Me intrigued, As the Only ones I've ever heard (& seen) have been European..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Related?

Turboglide's selector quadrant was Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Hill Retarder (early 1957 only) P R N D Hr[2] or Grade Retarder (late 1957-1961) P R N D Gr.

Turboglide offered a 'Grade Retarder' range for providing engine braking when necessary, a driving condition which could absorb close to 200 hp (150 kW) of power above to what was available via the engine compression, by counter-rotating the turbines in the converter and soaking up the vehicle energy by agitating the oil inside the converter housing. No low range was provided with Turboglide, as in the Drive range the ratio was always automatically and perfectly matched to the requirements of the operator (all ranges being always engaged, low and intermediate would freewheel on the 'sprag-clutches' as needed), and with the Grade Retarder providing a very efficient engine brake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboglide

There's mention of the Retarder here in the 1957-58 years notes.. Appears to be an Allison development..

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/historical-brochures/GMC/100_YR_GMC_HISTORY_MAR09.pdf

• Like 1

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

21 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Related?

Turboglide's selector quadrant was Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Hill Retarder (early 1957 only) P R N D Hr[2] or Grade Retarder (late 1957-1961) P R N D Gr.

Turboglide offered a 'Grade Retarder' range for providing engine braking when necessary, a driving condition which could absorb close to 200 hp (150 kW) of power above to what was available via the engine compression, by counter-rotating the turbines in the converter and soaking up the vehicle energy by agitating the oil inside the converter housing. No low range was provided with Turboglide, as in the Drive range the ratio was always automatically and perfectly matched to the requirements of the operator (all ranges being always engaged, low and intermediate would freewheel on the 'sprag-clutches' as needed), and with the Grade Retarder providing a very efficient engine brake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboglide

Yes, the retarder in old Allison transmissions functioned similarly.  It was particularly effective in diesel trucks, as a diesel (before Jakes) provided little engine braking.    

• Like 1

The Powermatic was a late WWII design for the M18 Hell Cat tank destroyer and the M26 Pershing as the Torq-matic and built by GM's  Detroit Transmission Division , all production was transferred to GM's  Allison division in 1946. I should have one in one of my containers from our '53 GMC potato hauler from when I yanked the 320 six for my 55 bel air gasser years ago.  Manual Valve body for gear selection. Bullet proof but weighs a ton.

powermatic.jpg.0314aa54311d6f99a6c56e0f8bf14188.jpg

s-l1600q.thumb.jpg.fc4f44af5f62e3b4d1f1607dff52dcca.jpg

s-l1600w.thumb.jpg.5f0dc9e876be956a27f4e658254b9611.jpg

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

In the summer of 1963 I worked in a truck garage outside Ithaca NY. Cornell University had an early 60's GMC single axle bulk milk tanker. Gas job with an automatic transmission, it had another fuel feed type peddle on the left side which said "retarder" on it. I was too young and dumb to know how it operated as I only drove it from the yard to over the pit to service it. Was this a mechanically operated application to something described above??? 

• Like 1

Brocky