2018 mp7 turbo problems

mackcat12

On 1/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, mackcat12 said:

Thought I would give you guys a update, well after 7 weeks my engine finally came In yesterday.I was originally told it would take 2 weeks imagine that, so truck goes in Monday morning to get it installed they said they can do it in 30 hours so you can probably double that. I will update when they get it installed.

Surly they have it in by now

Yes the engine is in after  being in the shop for 3 weeks and guess what the truck still isn’t running right! Having the same symptoms as before and they told me they don’t know what to do to it, they changed the ecm this week didn’t do anything  for it so I had to take it to them loaded and let them drive it with computer hooked to it but they say everything is showing good  I have put 1,500 miles on new engine and it’s getting 3.9 to 4.1 miles per gallon still has the vibration and severe turbo lag I’m at my wits end with this truck and the people from Mack I guess I’m going to have to get a lawyer and see what my options are.I’ll keep you guys updated.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, mackcat12 said:

Yes the engine is in after  being in the shop for 3 weeks and guess what the truck still isn’t running right! Having the same symptoms as before and they told me they don’t know what to do to it, they changed the ecm this week didn’t do anything  for it so I had to take it to them loaded and let them drive it with computer hooked to it but they say everything is showing good  I have put 1,500 miles on new engine and it’s getting 3.9 to 4.1 miles per gallon still has the vibration and severe turbo lag I’m at my wits end with this truck and the people from Mack I guess I’m going to have to get a lawyer and see what my options are.I’ll keep you guys updated.

Makes me wonder if they are looking in the right place ODVIOUSLY NOT! have they done ANYTHING with the dpf or scr box??? restriction is what I'm thinking!??

Anyway should be out of warranty soon then it will be your problem!😡Make Some  NOISE BRO!

Fjh they have changed the scr one box and they replaced the turbo a year ago this month only thing they haven’t changed is the fuel system and the wiring harness the service manager thinks it might be the new turbo they installed but they won’t replace it. I sat down yesterday and emailed Martin Weissburg the president of Mack Trucks took me 2 hours to write everything I wanted to say I didn’t think it would do any good but he replied back to me and said he would have someone contact me tomorrow I was impressed that he emailed me back on a Saturday so we will see what they come up with

1 hour ago, mackcat12 said:

Fjh they have changed the scr one box and they replaced the turbo a year ago this month only thing they haven’t changed is the fuel system and the wiring harness the service manager thinks it might be the new turbo they installed but they won’t replace it. I sat down yesterday and emailed Martin Weissburg the president of Mack Trucks took me 2 hours to write everything I wanted to say I didn’t think it would do any good but he replied back to me and said he would have someone contact me tomorrow I was impressed that he emailed me back on a Saturday so we will see what they come up with

Way To make noise Buddy Hopefully this goes some where!

So I got a phone call from the head of customer relations talked to him about 30 minutes said he needed to talk to all the people involved in this and he would get back to me, he called today and said they want to send another engineer to me Monday to install a second data recorder to monitor the transmission he said they think the transmission might be causing the engine to derate said this data recorder will have a button for me to push when the truck acts up, so here we go again I’ll keep you updated.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, mackcat12 said:

They put the wrong engine in. It's supposed to get an em6 engine.

Id be hollaring at them for a new truck. If they can't get this one working they better replace the truck and take this one back. IMO when you buy a truck from a dealer/manufacturer you expect to get a truck that runs problem free for a substantial life. If it can't do that, well they better get you one that will.

I totally agree with that joeH as far as I’m concerned this is their last chance to get this truck right and if they can’t figure out what’s wrong this time they might as well go ahead and get me a new truck cause I’m going to raise hell until they do,this month makes 15 months they have been working on this truck,totally ridiculous it would have been cheaper on Mack to have replaced this truck long ago they said their cost on the engine alone was around $27,000 not counting all the labor and parts they changed and sending engineers here to diagnose and install data recorders and if the transmission has to be replaced I don’t know what that would cost them 

56 minutes ago, mackcat12 said:

I totally agree with that joeH as far as I’m concerned this is their last chance to get this truck right and if they can’t figure out what’s wrong this time they might as well go ahead and get me a new truck cause I’m going to raise hell until they do,this month makes 15 months they have been working on this truck,totally ridiculous it would have been cheaper on Mack to have replaced this truck long ago they said their cost on the engine alone was around $27,000 not counting all the labor and parts they changed and sending engineers here to diagnose and install data recorders and if the transmission has to be replaced I don’t know what that would cost them 

On the "it still runs so they won't replace it" comment a couple people made, it's getting crap for mpg. Operator expense is massive, and it's still going to need more repair than a good runner. It gets 3-8 mpg you said. 8 is great, 3 is junk. My volumetric concrete mixers get 2.5-5 mpg, and they sit onsite mixing and get a lot of idle time. I'm sure you've been kicking yourself all year wishing you still had the 88 you mentioned. That's the era all our trucks are from.

Yes I kick myself every day for selling old faithful that truck never let me down, the guy I sold it to runs it 20 hours a day and the only time it’s been down is for maintenance I still have a 1986 Mack I’m never selling it!! It gets 6.5 mpg with the EM6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Truck still isn’t running right have had more engineers and different data recorders and they all show nothing, I contacted Martin Weissburg thinking he would get something done for me and all he did was pass me off to someone else that I had to explain all the problems to for the 50th time and got no results so I emailed Matin again asking for Mack to replace the truck I got no response from him, then 2 days later I received a letter fedexed to me from Mack  saying that they had had  multiple people ride with me and they did not see the problem with the truck which was a lie, and that they had put in a new engine and they were all coming to the same conclusion that the truck was operating as designed. They compared my truck to 162 trucks specd the same as mine and those trucks averaged 6.1 mpg and mine was 5.9 and that was acceptable  but my truck is getting 2.7 mpg to 4.9 mpg based on miles driven and gallons used but they don’t want to talk about that , the exhaust is black with soot running down on the chrome heat shield my tarp arm which is in line with the exhaust is brown and they say nothing is wrong with this truck. I talked to a lawyer and he said I would probably win if we went to court but Mack would probably drag it on for years so I’ve decided to get rid of this piece of shit and buy a different brand, Mack has offered me no help in any way almost making me feel like I’m a liar I asked the district manager if nobody  saw the problem with the truck then why did you replace the engine and keep working on this truck if there was no problem , I got no response, so I’m done with Mack Trucks!!! If anything changes I’ll keep you guys updated 

Wow. Just catching up on this thread, what a mess!

When they replaced the engine, I assume it was just a basic that required all of your external components to be swapped to the new (reman I'm sure) engine? So you've still got the same egr cooler/turbo and all that?

Theres a guy around here that back in the 90s had several trucks, they had braking issues. At the time I worked at the dealership and this guy fought this problem for probably a year as we threw every valve, shoe, drums, whatever Mack told us to throw at it we did.

Never did fix the problem and Mack refused to give the guy new trucks. These were cl's. He ended up suing Mack over it, I don't think he got squat.

The 2 trucks he was having the problem with he parked in a barn while the lawsuit was ongoing, several years.

He never bought another Mack. And this is when they were solid trucks, not Volvos with a dog on the hood.

Good luck to you man!

• Like 1

Well bro!  Kind of figured if this didn't get resolved this would be your choice ! Even if you do buy a new Pete please keep in touch here, Its real sad it has come down to this !How ever have seen it happen a few times before same deal as the Steeler's post the disputes escalate to this point and the customer walks ! He tells two friends and they tell to friends and so on it's still does not seem to faze them ! Trouble is that they already have spent the cost of new truck chasing a a ghost a possible wiring anomaly sensor wired backwards or something thy didn't see it and now were here! Sad thing is if you were a multi national corporation they would have tossed a new truck at you by now!

Edited by fjh

^^^ the reason to buy used: someone else takes the hit on depreciation and Lemons.

I figure if its not too old and has 300k+ miles it must have been a good truck, and any major kinks have been worked out. 

Buy a used truck and stop making payments on the Mack.  Keep a well documented explanation of everything you've been through with it so if they threaten to take you to court you're prepared. Their argument that ride alongs didn't see anything wrong probably won't hold up for the exact reason that they put a new engine in, etc.  Ultimately they'll just repossess the PoS anyway, and your credit will take a big hit, which is why you get a replacement truck before stopping payments on this one. Your credit score is really the only reason to sue Mack, so you can get out of the truck with your financial reputation intact. After the fiasco with this one I don't think you even want a replacement truck from them.

• Like 1

Personally I think my ideal truck would be an early granite with a blown motor. Would use the cost savings on the junk motor to drop a mechanical e7 into it. Would need a little dash overhaul to accommodate it, but worth it to be emmisions and computer free.  After what I've read about Volvo's BS injector cups on the mp engines I don't want anything to do with the mp series.

Not sure what "legal" issues there would be with a cop at a DOT stop if he doesn't like that your engine is older than the truck.  9.5/10 times I'll bet he wouldn't even notice.  And I've only been DOT stopped 2 or 3 times in the 11 years I've been driving our trucks, so I'd probably never run into the one cop that notices an older engine in a truck.

2 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

fjh you are right I talked to the former service manager at my dealership and he said if i was a huge company they would have already replaced my truck no questions asked

Oh ya, for sure. We do a lot of work for a nationwide garbage company. When we have issues, they make one call to Mack corporate and things happen. I feel bad for the small guys.

12 hours ago, steeler said:

Oh ya, for sure. We do a lot of work for a nationwide garbage company. When we have issues, they make one call to Mack corporate and things happen. I feel bad for the small guys.

Yup seen it happen a few times ! It even happened when it was a not Swedish owned ! How ever these guys can't really afford  need to piss many more people off,small or big! Volvo/ Mack  market share is dropping like a stone!

• Like 1