2018 mp7 turbo problems

mackcat12

12 hours ago, Mackpro said:

This is so true! Corporate calls the shots after a certain point , I feel for the customer. We have had corporate fly in guys with data loggers more than once. 

If you had a fleet they may consider what you speak of how ever if your just Joe one hit wonder Not so much!

On 2/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, mackcat12 said:

Update dealer installed new turbo and I picked up the truck got a load on it and it is basically the same as it was before, when you start into a hard pull the turbo sound gets real faint and the truck starts lugging and vibrating so bad that every thing on the truck rattles,fuel mileage did increase after the new turbo  before New turbo it was 3.8 mpg after 5.4  when it was running like it’s suppose to I was getting 7.4 mpg. Called dealer he said he doesn’t know what else to do so he is going to have his district manager to come by and ride with me and we will go from there, this is getting very frustrating truck  has 10,150 miles on it now and should not be having these problems!!

I am having same problem out of my 2012 GU713, MP8 505 Maxidyne, runs good till comes up to temp then first hill falls on its face, changed turbo at a sum of 4300.00 for pos turbo, tech told me turbo for sure well not turbo money wasted. I pulled the egr cooler flushed at car wash truck got back about 75% power on hill always did good on flat loaded or empty hot or cold....

so going to replace egr cooler but dealer quoted 1600.00 plus tax and shipment charges... thanks a million WorldWide equipment what a joke for dealer!! Found online for 1000.00 total with shipping. 

So long rant short check egr cooler and egr valve..

OH by the way downtime is a way of life if u buy new Mack equipment I have owned Mack my entire life as well as my father.... I would have never said this of my RD800’s but the new Mack equipment is Junk pure Junk.... they are rags, will not hold together in the coal or oil fields Mack Trucks and WorlWide equipment Inc. sold us equipment for a job they knew these trucks weren’t designed to do. THANK YOU Mack Trucks for lying to us!

Edited by GWT

And to the topic of downtime guys myself and another guy where we haul coal we are off road never touch pavement! 

We have 7 2012 gu713’s 65000 rears all 505’s between us plus my RD’s if you add up all down time “GU713’s” from new it would probably be 30% + range. If not for our RD800’s I would have gone broke never again will I own a Mack truck especially for off road use but don’t think ever buy one for anything again they care less for their customers!! 

But please check your egr cooler that at this point fixed mine new one not there yet but just cleaning best we could gave back 75% power and stopped the quivering on pulls, felt like was going to shake itself apart at the end of problem we were running it because we have to and try to figure out problem but got so bad we had to just park it!

Edited by GWT

1 hour ago, fjh said:

If you had a fleet they may consider what you speak of how ever if your just Joe one hit wonder Not so much!

The first time they flew in a guy was when we were having all the wiring harness failures. You might put 2 or 3 on before you got a good one . That customer had about 10-15 trucks. Next time a tech was flown out it was over a unusual fault code for the DPF and Mack wanted to see for themselves what was going on. That customer had around 35 Mack dump trucks. This last time it was a individual single owner operator and a SCR fault and replaced the SCR hot box. The data logger really helped out on the last issue. 

I have questioned them about the EGR  and EGR cooler and they said the truck wouldn’t be running if it was either of them and it would throw codes, it has throwed the EGR code once and they couldn’t find anything wrong  I have complained about the turbo not working right since all this started they did change it because the original one would not calibrate but it still isn’t working like it’s suppose to you can count to 10 before it gets any boost then it’s real weak you can barely hear the turbo. Mackpro they keep telling me the data logger is the answer I’ve been waiting almost 6 weeks for one to show up district manager said they were going to bring in someone to install it I’m only about a hour and a half from world headquarters in Greensboro I told him I wanted a new truck and he said Mack probably wouldn’t do that because I’m still able to use the truck. I need to find out who to talk to at Mack that might do something for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I finally got in touch with someone at Mack and got the ball rolling they sent a engineer down to the dealership and I spent most of the day with him he checked my truck out real good he did about a hour of testing with his computer hooked up  and as with all the other testing nothing noticeable showed up. I took him for a ride and showed him what it is doing and  after that he thinks it’s EGR related he told the service manager to order a EGR pressure sensor and EGR valve, he said he is going to analyze all the data he recorded to make sure he didn’t miss anything.this guy was very knowledgeable everything he said made sense so we will see the sensor came in but still waiting on the valve soon as they get everything installed I will give you guys a update.

Edited by mackcat12

I agree 1965 I talked to him about that and he said Mack would do something and he would check on that for me, he said he wasn’t aware how long this had been going on said this should have been taken care of long ago, the service manager I have been dealing with at the dealership took another job so now I don’t have his knowledge so I’m at the mercy of the dsm and Mack engineer’s

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mackcat12 said:

I agree 1965 I talked to him about that and he said Mack would do something and he would check on that for me, he said he wasn’t aware how long this had been going on said this should have been taken care of long ago, the service manager I have been dealing with at the dealership took another job so now I don’t have his knowledge so I’m at the mercy of the dsm and Mack engineer’s

Make a copy of this thread and get it to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the EGR differential pressure sensor and EGR valve changed and it didn’t change anything, so talked to the dsm and engineer and they said they want to change a couple more sensors and see if that does anything and if that don’t fix it  they are going to replace the engine, so  I will update when I have more info.

They said Mack probably would not replace the truck because I’m still able to use the truck I said yes I can still use it but it’s not running right it’s burning excessive fuel not to mention all the downtime Friday truck got 4 mpg Saturday it got 7.9mpg it fluctuates like this every day most of the time  it’s in the 3 to 5 mpg it should be in the 6 to 8 mpg range, I just wonder how long it would take them to change out the engine.

Well if they can drag it out long enough maybe the warranty will be off then you can buy the new engine or better still you can by a fleet of trucks and maybe they can spend a month or two fixing this one atleast you may have half a chance of getting some work done! While they change out the engine 

! 🤔

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They still changing parts on this truck and nothing has helped but they finally got a data logger installed this week after a 3 month wait, engineer had them change vcb sensor and another sensor on the filter base and something else that required dropping the oil pan, the engineer wanted to know what oil they had been putting in my truck and apparently they have been putting the wrong oil in my truck he said there was a specific oil for the common rail engines and they haven’t been using it so I have to go back and let them change the oil I don’t know if this will cause any harm to the engine or not so I guess it’s up to this data logger to figure out what’s going on with this truck not sure how long it will have to be installed, truck will be a year old August 17 So that’s where I’m at I will update when I know more

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man that sounds like a bad deal on your end, I work a fleet and have started replacing some cvs trucks with gus with the mp8s and never had an issue at all with them in the little while we have had them, im pretty sure we are still under 150k on all them. Just a sensor here or there but nothing major that we couldn’t figure out since we have the software on our laptops. 

• 2 months later...

Ok guys after almost a year of Mack working on my truck they have finally decided to put a new engine in my truck! The data recorder showed absolutely nothing engineering said there was nothing wrong with the truck they have changed so many parts I’ve lost count , truck started using oil and has a terrible vibration, they brought another engineer in last week and he had them drop the oil pan and inspect the pistons and they found they were scored so they called me today and said they were going to replace the engine only took 11-1/2 months but they have to order everything so it will probably be another month before everything is done.I will keep you posted 

8 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

Ok guys after almost a year of Mack working on my truck they have finally decided to put a new engine in my truck! The data recorder showed absolutely nothing engineering said there was nothing wrong with the truck they have changed so many parts I’ve lost count , truck started using oil and has a terrible vibration, they brought another engineer in last week and he had them drop the oil pan and inspect the pistons and they found they were scored so they called me today and said they were going to replace the engine only took 11-1/2 months but they have to order everything so it will probably be another month before everything is done.I will keep you posted 

Well at least it’s a step in the right direction and not anymore maybe it’s this or maybe it’s that guessing while you’re stuck with a payment and not making money. Good luck to ya. This post is what’s making me unsure of buying a new Mack. And if I recall correctly you said your dealer was actually pretty good to deal with. Mine is horrible. Lack of quality dealer support can make you wanna drive the truck offf a cliff on a test drive with them in it!

• 1 month later...