2018 mp7 turbo problems

mackcat12

11 hours ago, fjh said:

Yup seen it happen a few times ! It even happened when it was a not Swedish owned ! How ever these guys can't really afford  need to piss many more people off,small or big! Volvo/ Mack  market share is dropping like a stone!

Yup, Volvo sure has trashed Mack in my opinion. I mean, what's really left that is actually Mack? Transmission I guess, some suspension? They have even managed to screw up the diffs. Sad.

The best thing that can happen for Mack is to have Volvo spin them off and sell to a group of investors and let Mack become what it was, The Best Truck ever to grace the USA. Just like Autocar when it was let go, they made small compact trucks for trash haulers like Mack MR's and now they have a new conventional model coming out and hopefully it will take off and expand to a road tractor.

Mack could do the same and go back to their engines and drive trains. Build them like before and hopefully the industry wide damage with not kill this great piece of American ability.

• 1 month later...

Would you guys think I’m crazy if I was considering another MACK? Mack has offered me a hell of a deal on a new truck and a shocking amount for my truck on trade, the truck would have to be ordered because they don’t have what I want in stock, I would go with a MP8 engine and Allison transmission this time, got a bad taste in my mouth from the MP7 and Mdrive, I have priced other brands and they aren’t even close to the price MACK has quoted me, what do you guys think? Am I crazy?

14 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

Would you guys think I’m crazy if I was considering another MACK? Mack has offered me a hell of a deal on a new truck and a shocking amount for my truck on trade, the truck would have to be ordered because they don’t have what I want in stock, I would go with a MP8 engine and Allison transmission this time, got a bad taste in my mouth from the MP7 and Mdrive, I have priced other brands and they aren’t even close to the price MACK has quoted me, what do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Also seen this happen this gets you possibly happy and they can sell this truck to someone that don't know any better! what ever works I guess! Usually comes with a keep you mouth shut stipulation I think!!🤔

The Mp8 is a some what  better design in my mind however Don't expect good mileage with an allison! we have quite a few running here and are trouble free for the most part!Allison is a better choice for a dump configuration And almost any niny can drive it with out wrecking things! Leaves you open to letting your wife or girlfreind driving it for you while you sit home drinking beer! 😉

Edited by fjh

51 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I agree; just don’t see putting good money in bad money. Especially AGAIN

I’m saying get another Mack. If they want you to be happy by giving you a fantastic deal.......take it! You earned it. The law of statistics says you won’t get another lemon.

Quote of my Volvo/Mack factory trainer......”Longest lasting engine we sell is an MP8 at the lowest HP increment available”.

Edited by Mack Technician

9 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I’m saying get another Mack. If they want you to be happy by giving you a fantastic deal.......take it! You earned it. The law of statistics says you won’t get another lemon.

Quote of my Volvo/Mack factory trainer......”Longest lasting engine we sell is an MP8 at the lowest HP increment available”.

I understand what your saying; BUT; Volvo/Mack trainer wouldn’t be good enough for me, just sayin. I believe the lower hp probably helps a bunch but it REALLY clarifies the problem. I don’t mean NO harm; just telling my opinion!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

The problem with today's Mack is the fact that it isn't a Mack just a Volvo in a Mack hood. I have owned a Mack truck for 35 years and this last one is the biggest piece of junk  ever. It has been in the shop and on the hook more than the other ones put together.I could have paid cash for a brand new truck with all the repair bills and down time. Mack just turns a blind toward the problem. Factory rep said they are only designed to be a three year truck and anything after that was my problem. Built my home and family with a Mack truck and sent my children to college with one.So sad to see a great American product as this to just go down the toilet like this.I have to have one more truck to finish my career and you can bet it won't be a Mack this time around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdsMack1963 said:

The problem with today's Mack is the fact that it isn't a Mack just a Volvo in a Mack hood. I have owned a Mack truck for 35 years and this last one is the biggest piece of junk  ever. It has been in the shop and on the hook more than the other ones put together.I could have paid cash for a brand new truck with all the repair bills and down time. Mack just turns a blind toward the problem. Factory rep said they are only designed to be a three year truck and anything after that was my problem. Built my home and family with a Mack truck and sent my children to college with one.So sad to see a great American product as this to just go down the toilet like this.I have to have one more truck to finish my career and you can bet it won't be a Mack this time around.

The truth has been spoken

• Like 1

fjh I have not received my truck yet the build date got delayed by the Mack strike then by thanksgiving,it finally got built and Was sent to Ox bodies on December 20, I talked to ox bodies yesterday  and they started the dump body yesterday supposed to be delivered to my dealer on January 27 so as soon as I get it  and put some miles on it I will give you an update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I finally received my truck and I really love the MP8 and Allison combo this thing is a powerhouse, but this one has some bugs in it too, second day driving  the hose coming off the expansion tank blew off leaving me stranded on the side of the road, the cheap clamps they used won’t hold the hose inside the nipple so they changed it so the hose slid over the nipple and put on a metal clamp.problem solved! Then a few days after that I noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the truck looked everywhere couldn’t find a leak anywhere, drove it all week and it didn’t leak anymore, came to work on Monday coolant was dripping really fast so I looked over the engine on the turbo side and I saw where it was coming from, the oil cooler🤦🏻 So you all know what’s involved in fixing that so after 4 days at the dealer I finally got it back yesterday morning and drove it all day, so far so good🤞🏻 I really do love this truck I guess it takes a while to get the bugs out of them but there shouldn’t be any for what I paid for this truck dealer said gasket was messed up from factory so hopefully everything else will be good, I’ll keep you guys updated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

I finally received my truck and I really love the MP8 and Allison combo this thing is a powerhouse, but this one has some bugs in it too, second day driving  the hose coming off the expansion tank blew off leaving me stranded on the side of the road, the cheap clamps they used won’t hold the hose inside the nipple so they changed it so the hose slid over the nipple and put on a metal clamp.problem solved! Then a few days after that I noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the truck looked everywhere couldn’t find a leak anywhere, drove it all week and it didn’t leak anymore, came to work on Monday coolant was dripping really fast so I looked over the engine on the turbo side and I saw where it was coming from, the oil cooler🤦🏻 So you all know what’s involved in fixing that so after 4 days at the dealer I finally got it back yesterday morning and drove it all day, so far so good🤞🏻 I really do love this truck I guess it takes a while to get the bugs out of them but there shouldn’t be any for what I paid for this truck dealer said gasket was messed up from factory so hopefully everything else will be good, I’ll keep you guys updated.

Thanks for reporting in Bro!

Congrats ! semi Good news I suppose ! Would have been better You had no issues to start out with! however  See what happens I guess Good Luck with this new found  happiness  hopefully  all will proceed  without any more glitches ! We are fighting with a simular  issue as your old truck at the moment,  We are getting the same blank stare from mother Mack , so hopefully we will find something on our own!  Low power and pulsing boost for no good reason! the data capture prooved didly skwat ! c what happens I guess!

13 hours ago, mackcat12 said:

Fjh I feel for you, if the data capture doesn’t show anything Mack doesn’t know what to do and won’t use any common sense to try to figure it out, hope you can figure it out .

Not A problem Bro I ain't involved ! Unfortunately the data capture didn't  show what is really going on  boost is fluctuating under a steady hard pull  makes one think it's either something to do with the EGR valve or VGT controlment ! Its all rumor from my prospective  the boys at our other shop are fighting this one! would Be interesting to get to the bottom of it! It may end up like your situation who knows! They won't  let us throw parts at it and rightfully so I suppose!

So an update if you guys are interested a shot in the dark hit the target .after all the data capture and other bs  bla bla bla the boys took a stab at thinking outside the E service shit and checked the Venturi tube found it was obstructed replaced the tube and sensor and all is good power is back and the boost no longer has fluctuations ! They thru 10000 at this with the help from e service guys hopefully they will pay us for the actual fix! We didn’t ask just did it.🙏

• Like 2