ISX Head cracks

fjh

Don't know how many of you have these trucks CL700 with cummins isx  However ! We have  a fair few in my area after the death of the V8 ! the  one  we have in the shop now  we rebuilt approx 1000 hours on the build and we are working on the second reman  head  that has cracked is there any  one here had experiences with these and any thoughts on WHY! other than it being a cummins ! WHY Are these heads cracking  the cracks are at the injector holes out and between the valves! the EGR Has been Deleted dont know if this is causing too much heat ?  Should we be replacing the injectors?  are we setting the injector to tight? JUST seeking input!

Experiences Please!!

If any!

Thanx

My brother has inquired about egr deletes and was told that it cracks the head. Which to me is strange because it’s essentially the same engine as an isx. 

Two guys have said the same thing, one a Cummins trained guy, and another well respected mechanic. 

Yup thanx for the site Hayseed! It  does shed light on the situation a lot of his statements hold truth !  and each system design presents its own hertles for engineers  ! THE venturi tube has been redesigned countless times on the MP8 they are still struggling to make it work properly!

He is also correct that the Truck company s  tend to keep things to them selves  they really work hard on Captivating  Everything!

I am suspicious of the programing the guy got done here to delete this stuff as every cyl is cracked did they tweak the timing . did they tweak the turbo and so on if they just went in and told the putor to not throw a code for egr flow and washed their  hands then this Is very likely the end result! I think we all have messed with this stuff a bit tried this and that I know Mack pro And I have for a fact on the grey engine It never amounted to as big a mess as this to my knowledge! In fact I had a customer that had a million on a 460 that saw my be 6 months of EGR and the truck Never faltered  once ! no egr coolers failed no valves nothing! This here is volatile  ! If the head is going to turn into a shower head every 1000 hours its going to be an expensive tune up every 1000 hours! i think this guy needs to rethink his direction.

Edited by fjh

Timing is what i would say cracked the head after a tune of the ecm.Just talking to my self i think some of the tunes is ending up messing with the timing too much.Also the engines was timed slower back in 05 trying to mean eps standards and when the time slower the flame is later in the cylinger and may be flaming when it leaves the head.I am running a 1995 E7 in a bobtale and it has a thicker exhaust valve for the slower timing.Asfor as the isx i did not get into it that much before i retired and we sent most of the isx to the cummins dealer on count of cummins did not play well on warranty.

Edited by theakerstwo

glenn akers

Ya Glenn I hear ya I Don't like takin on this shit, how ever my manager is of the mind that. God hates a Coward ! Its bad enough dealing with Volvo Mack on warranty Items!  We asked the owner if He would reconsider the egr transformation ask I think that when cummins Sees this head warranty will be a laugh in the face ! all six were cracked turned into a true shower head! all the cracks radiate out from the injector holes  in all sorts of directions .:huh:

1 minute ago, fjh said:

Ya Glenn I hear ya I Don't like takin on this shit, how ever my manager is of the mind that. God hates a Coward ! Its bad enough dealing with Volvo Mack on warranty Items!  We asked the owner if He would reconsider the egr transformation as I think that when cummins Sees this head warranty will be a laugh in the face ! all six were cracked turned into a true shower head! all the cracks radiate out from the injector holes  in all sorts of directions .:huh: