Cat 1693 or Detroit 8V Superliner

9 hours ago, davehummell said:

57bcr, Thanks for reminding me i had to work on one of those 1776's it was in the shop more than the owner liked. back in the day most guys ran 1693 ,around me to the coast i drove a supped up 350 small cam or a 370 external fuel line cummins . I drove both 1693,s and lots of 3406,s You wouldn't like the fuel millage on a 1693 on today's fuel  prices Back in the day i picked up in elpaso and i would drop the trailer and go over in mexico and fill up for .17 gallon

Nice fuel  prices for sure,Dave! If I recall,Freightliner could run a lower doghouse  when the truck  was equipped with the 1676. Which played hell when the re-power came along! I was never a V-8 guy myself. It seemed  they were alll good runners until the  inevitable  happened. I still  think the 8V71 was about the cheapest  to rebuild and probably  the  most  reliable  of the V-8's. Those big V's could  pass everything  on the road,but I passed them at the repair shop with my little 6! Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I remember paying less then 5.00 for an oil pan gasket on my old 220 cummins. I was in new mexico and ran into a team that was going my way i had the 350 cummins and i thought  it ran real good they were running a kt450 i never saw that truck after we pulled out. A guy in the valley had a kt 600 i was told it ran away from most things on the road.

• Like 1

Oh man the 1st kt 450 I saw was in a borg warner truck kw conventional  out I'd aurora  when they were around sweet looking engine remember  them al borg warner.that was like 76 until early 80s when a worked at the skelly  truck stop at 55 and rt 30