Tailored for emergency

kscarbel2

Scania Group Press Release  /  December 7, 2017

Scania’s new CrewCab is full of new features. No compromises on quality have been made; it is a worthy member of the Scania modular system. Since it is a cab that will mainly be used by firefighters it has been specifically tailored for emergency assignments, keeping both ergonomics and safety in mind.

As befits a vehicle mainly intended for use by emergency services, the safety and well-being of crew members have been overriding considerations in the development of the new Scania CrewCab. As with any other truck developed by Scania, the CrewCab has undergone extensive crash tests. And for extra safety, there is an option where the crew using the truck will be protected by up to four side-curtain airbags.

The new CrewCab accommodates as many as eight passengers. Among the new additions are the Scania City Safe Window and a high air intake, both of which are available directly from the factory, as well as larger fuel tanks. “It is a real cab, not an elongated ordinary cab,” says Product Manager Teodor Severinsson.

Custom-made specs

Scania is also making custom-made solutions available; the Scania CrewCab can be ordered with any version of the DC09 and DC13 engine, and it is possible to combine it with a range of gearboxes, including Scania Opticruise or automatic transmissions. “The most important thing to remember is the freedom to choose, that the vehicle can be adapted, meeting the demands of a customer,” Severinsson says.

Like the other Scania cabs, the rear doors on the Scania CrewCab have several stop notches and open to a full 85 degrees. Boarding is staircase-like, with either a fixed or retractable lower step, and anyone who needs to get in and out of the cab will appreciate an easy climb and a low cab floor, making the entrance and exit both safe and quick and improving efficiency in the daily work.

“The handles in the doors are new and are a welcome addition, not least when wearing heavy clothing or breathing equipment,” explains Severinsson. “It makes it so much easier to hold on to the handle when getting out of the cab in a rush.” The boarding step area and the ground around it are clearly lit when a rear door is opened for entry or exit.

“World-class comfort”

A separate climate system with its own heating is available for the crew area. “The new climate system is easily controlled from the crew area and ensures that the new Scania CrewCab provides world-class transportation and comfort,” says Severinsson.

All in all, the benefits of the new features are that the crew arrives fully prepared for the task at hand. And it could also be said that by making it safe and making it great, the new Scania CrewCab will help to save lives.

Equipped for the crew’s safety

The new Scania CrewCab features:

• Accommodation for up to eight passengers
  • City Safe Window
  • High air intake
  • Rear doors that open to a full 85 degrees
  • New handles in the doors.

Options :

• Up to four side-curtain airbags
  • DC09 or DC13 engine
  • Scania Opticruise
  • Automatic transmission.

image 3.JPG

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 4.JPG

image 5.jpg

• Like 1

I like the styling on that, one of the few applications where I advocate an automatic as the operator has too much on his mind to worry about shifting! Also one of the few applications where I would tolerate use of the cell phone while driving! Police use is another!

Also one of the few applications where I would tolerate use of the cell phone while driving! 

Trust me on this one; the last place you want someone to use a cell phone or other electronic devices while driving is in an emergency vehicle. Most FD's and PD's use a computer type screen for dispatch and to pass on information to the responders. Just for fun put your laptop next to you while driving and try to read it while scrolling through the screens. After a couple of very close calls I finally gave up on using cell phones or the computer while responding. It just wasn't safe for the other drivers on the road.

It really pisses me off watching a cop talking on the cell phone while driving. Talk about being hypocritical.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Fxfymn for what it's worth my pet peeve bar none is the use of the cell phone while driving I'd like to see the second offense be suspending the drivers license for life! But I thought perhaps an exception should be made for first responders and police not to call home or b.s. with the old lady but for real emergencies like if the road is blocked around the bend of the fire truck or  police car an he can't get thru on the official radio, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they made it illegal and it went back to the pre cell phone days! When cell phones first came out I was in my four wheeler going home from the terminal and some stroke in an 18 wheeler talking on the phone almost ran over me leaving the T A truck stop at exit 1 on I 75 in Georgia!

But I thought perhaps an exception should be made for first responders and police not to call home or b.s. with the old lady but for real emergencies like if the road is blocked 

When we had a major traffic incident one of the first things I would do when I hit the road was to call our dispatch center on the cell just to keep the line open since the cell towers near the incident would quickly become overloaded and you could not make a call.  Newer radio technology provided many more channels to us, so that became unnecessary. 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!