Pete/Kenworth trucks

2000CL713

my father is looking into getting something different for himself. hes always drove Macks mostly. he had one sterling years ago and maaaan was that thing a POS. he also had a volvo 880 OTR truck as well all decked out. very nice truck.

he wants to get a pete or a KW but hes leaning mostly towards KW only bc they seem to have little more room in the cab from front to back but either truck will do if they are within his specs. he wants an auto and no emissions bullshit.

him nor i have ever owned any KW trucks. what are models/years/engines to stay away from? 

dump truck is the type of truck we are looking for in case anyone wanted to know. 

new resized.jpg

make sure to get an extended cab truck if you go for a T800. the standard T800 cab is SMALL!!

i can touch the passenger side door from the driver seat, and it feels like i am sitting in an airplane the cab is so small. 

and i am only 6 foot tall. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Our light equip group has two T800 dumps with cummins and automatic transmission. No issues except one (engine OEM related) intermittently lost a driver for an injector. Took a lot of screwing around to finally condemn the ECM. Those extended bump-back cabs are really nice. 

What year are the t800s? Also which cummins and auto? 

new resized.jpg

I'm driving a T800 now, and I like it. I like the small cab myself, but i'm just used to it I guess. The previous trucks I drove were a T660, 379 Peterbilt, and a KW W900L, and they all have small cabs. The KW cabs are the same on the T800 and W9.

The only thing I would recommend staying away from is the Paccar engine.  The T660 I drove had one, and it was the sorriest piece of crap engine i've ever driven. The company had a lot of them, and they stayed in the shop for one thing or another all the time. The one I drove had 400 and something thousand miles on it when Jeff traded it, and it was on it's third turbo.

The T800 i'm driving now has an ISX Cummins, over 200,000 miles now, and no issues so far.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Its a single axle box truck 26k gvw- but I have a 2006 Pete 335 with a c7 cat.  250 hp , allison 3000, 24' box.  It replaced a 2003 IH 4300- that thing was the yugo of trucks.  Always an electrical glitch.... would lose throttle response driving down the road, pull over, shut it down for 30 seconds and everything golden for a while.  DT466e- was not bad once we replaced the wasted injector but at 190 hp would not get out of its own way.  I lke the smaller Pete cab, we did replace the seats with Sears Atlas 2 heated and ventilated air rides, but in all its a heck of a lot better truck than the IH was , and less maintenance.  Disclaimer - it makes about 100-150 miles a week in local deliveries in 50 mile runs...nt my primary business to drive.  all you can do is drive whatever it is.... I think they all make a POS sometimes......

Between a Kenworth or Peterbilt,  I would go with a KW, T800.   I am use to a small cab, running my Superliner for years and then other R model cabs.  I like the older Petes, (359 and 379's)   but just don't care for the newer ones.   I am currently driving a 2016  KW T880 , with a ISX Cummins. Good power ( I drag around 2 belly dumps most of the time, grossing about 128,000).  Only issues I have had are a lot of times after I wash it,  one of the connections at the exhaust regen shit gets moisture in it and shows a fault, mechanic resets it and we go again.  Really nice truck, rides good.  Has lots a room, head room is unreal.    Would be a great OTR truck with a sleeper.  My opinion a T800 is better for construction or logging .

iv drove pete 379's and 389's 379's i really liked the 379's 389's other than the headlights are awesome did not impress me much. i liked the petes better than the w9's and the t-800's but if i was looking to buy another truck id probably look pretty strongly at a t-800  all the above were good trucks. 

Edited by Ezrider

good to hear alot of people like the KW T800. we are looking at alot of those. but i have to admit i hate the slop of that hood lol going to be a challenge to make one of those look good lol would be nice to get a T800H. those seem to have a short flat hood with set back axle but they are hard to fine i have hard. worse case get a T800 with both breathers outside (slopped hood). 

so stick with the 2008-2012 isx only? or are the order ones just as good with the c-13 and c-12. 

new resized.jpg

my 05 T800 with 475 C-13 and 8LL runs side by side with the 2000 W900 with 550  C-15 and 18 speed, and the T880 with 550 ISX cummins and auto trans at 80,000 lbs 

Edited by tjc transport

7 hours ago, tjc transport said:

my 05 T800 with 475 C-13 and 8LL runs side by side with the 2000 W900 with 550  C-15 and 18 speed, and the T880 with 550 ISX cummins and auto trans at 80,000 lbs 

how has your c13 been? any issues? most people say to do the single turbo swap and new tune file. 

new resized.jpg

only real issue was the center exhaust manifold cracked around 245k miles. 

so while it was apart we put new turbos on it too, because they recommend replacing between 200 and 250k. 

other than that the only breakdown since we got it 9 tears ago was last week when the lower rad hose split getting off the highway and i was down for 45 minutes waiting for a new hose to get to me. 

overall it is a good truck. at 6 foot and 300 lbs, i would like a bigger cab, and i would rather have a 18 speed trans for hills. with the 8 speed i find myself either in too low, or too high a gear on hills because i can not split the high side of the trans.