What is wrong with people today?

kscarbel2

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

So I gather schools and universities will now have a check with a plus or minus instead of a GPA so no body gets "embarrassed" by being on the bottom or top of their class or the stigma of being under or over qualified for their career choice.  Hope with their diplomas they also get a "safe zone"kit.

I heard an interview with the author of The Coddling of the American Mind and he is a college professor specializing in moral psychology and wrote this book after he and some colleagues  across the nation we're seeing the same infantile, immature not ready for the world behavior in college classrooms. He went into depth of the whys and how's of how we got here and hit the nail on the head as far  as I'm concerned. It was a very interesting interview, enough so that I plan on buying the book. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

What also doesn’t help is when schools have begun replacing classes like wood shop with classes like requiring a 4th year of math by which point everyone is now learning how to graph 3 dimensionally, something that will never be used in and career any of them will ever pick other than being a public school teacher. At a local public school they’ve even replaced gym with dance class (mostly because it’s an art school where they don’t have enough money to have a building with a gym and instead have to use the floor designated for the dancers to fulfill their physical education) and have to rent out space in 4 other buildings within 2 blocks just to have space for normal classes and even so they can have a cafeteria for students to eat. Everyone makes it work but it’s still unfortunate that these talented kids who had to earn their place at this school must walk outside in the snow so they can get to their lunch while at school. But I will say at this school students must try out and prove themselves to get in and all their grades must be C or above, with all honors or AP classes, otherwise they’re removed. Atleast there’s some hope there.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

• 2 weeks later...

The bar for failing test scores in North Carolina’s state public schools may be significantly lowered under proposed new legislation.
House Bill 145, introduced by the North Carolina General Assembly last Thursday, proposes to base grades on a 15- rather than a 10-point scale. In other words, an F grade would constitute anything below a 40 percent score — much lower than the 60 percent mark that is the norm in North Carolina and most other states.
Under the new scale system, an A would be 100 to 85 percent, a B would be 84 to 70 percent, a C would be 69 to 55 percent, a D would be 54 percent to 40 percent and an F would be 39 and lower according to the bill.
The scale system would not affect students who are already performing well. But students who are under performing in school will be allowed to continue. If passed, the law will go into effect beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, according to the bill.

It's also spilling over into many universities as well, many professors are being pressured to start passing more students every year to the point that many of them literally give out take home tests, give out free points, or just flat out inflate grades. At one university, half the professors will only fail you if you just didn't do any assignments or tests. They tell the students all answers for those classes were online since we reuse the same tests and quizzes year after year.

I gather kids are too stupid to pass? So is it easier to just lower the standards so we can pretend they're competent now? Like this won't have consequences in ten to fifteen years.  It's as if there aren't enough illiterate exceptional individuals with no critical thinking skills in this country now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 3/2/2019 at 6:55 PM, 41chevy said:
The bar for failing test scores in North Carolina’s state public schools may be significantly lowered under proposed new legislation.
House Bill 145, introduced by the North Carolina General Assembly last Thursday, proposes to base grades on a 15- rather than a 10-point scale. In other words, an F grade would constitute anything below a 40 percent score — much lower than the 60 percent mark that is the norm in North Carolina and most other states.
Under the new scale system, an A would be 100 to 85 percent, a B would be 84 to 70 percent, a C would be 69 to 55 percent, a D would be 54 percent to 40 percent and an F would be 39 and lower according to the bill.
The scale system would not affect students who are already performing well. But students who are under performing in school will be allowed to continue. If passed, the law will go into effect beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, according to the bill.
It's also spilling over into many universities as well, many professors are being pressured to start passing more students every year to the point that many of them literally give out take home tests, give out free points, or just flat out inflate grades. At one university, half the professors will only fail you if you just didn't do any assignments or tests. They tell the students all answers for those classes were online since we reuse the same tests and quizzes year after year.

I gather kids are too stupid to pass? So is it easier to just lower the standards so we can pretend they're competent now? Like this won't have consequences in ten to fifteen years.  It's as if there aren't enough illiterate exceptional individuals with no critical thinking skills in this country now.

This story appears to be inaccurate

The bill deals with the ranking of the schools and not the students

When I was in school it was coming to grade on a curve when the professor gave a difficult exam. Unfortunately I used to destroy the curve. I even got one professor in trouble for giving really impossible exams

On 3/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, Quickfarms said:

This story appears to be inaccurate

The bill deals with the ranking of the schools and not the students

When I was in school it was coming to grade on a curve when the professor gave a difficult exam. Unfortunately I used to destroy the curve. I even got one professor in trouble for giving really impossible exams

Not inaccurate but only part of the story in the Washington Post.  The ranking grade for the over all school is which is the lead item in the bill is based on the percentage of students getting passing grades for promotion or graduation.  More students that pass, the more Federal and State aid goes to the school districts. Nothing to do about education only the dollar.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 months later...

DeWayne Craddock, a public utilities engineer, was named as the mass shooter who opened fire indiscriminately at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center, killing 12 people and wounding others, in the nation’s latest horrific active shooter event.

Craddock, who worked for the city of Virginia Beach, previously served in the Army National Guard. He was a 1996 graduate of Denbigh High School in Newport News, Virginia.

Police scanner traffic chronicled how officers rushed to rescue victims, including at least one shot in the face, found survivors hiding throughout the complex, and worked to neutralize the suspect, who was still firing through a door. Authorities praised the heroism of a wounded officer and other first responders.

Craddock used a .45 caliber handgun with a silencer and multiple extended magazines. The shooter and officers engaged in a lengthy gun battle.

In a press conference, the governor stressed that more might have lost their lives without the quick response of law enforcement officers and medics. “Their actions likely saved lives,” he said. They have seen injuries and scenes “no one should have to face,” he said. The mayor called it Virginia Beach’s “darkest hour.” The scene was active for so long that journalists reported hearing gunshots when they arrived.

Photo 5.jpg

never said everyone should carry at all times. 

if you do not feel carrying a weapon is your thing, that is your prerogative. but i will still defend you against bad guys if needed.

i simply said that "gun free zones" as said are free range shooting galleries for the bad guys, and i refuse to go into an establishment that has a "gun free zone" sign on the door. 

i have carried either a 38 or 45 concealed for over 40.

and have used my concealed carry weapon numerous times to defend myself and others, also to assist law enforcement officers.  

i also agree with swift justice, but the snowflakes of the world these days feel coddling is better than punishing. 

as long as criminals know that they will only get a slap on the wrist for their crimes they will continue without fear. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

never said everyone should carry at all times. 

if you do not feel carrying a weapon is your thing, that is your prerogative. but i will still defend you against bad guys if needed.

i simply said that "gun free zones" as said are free range shooting galleries for the bad guys, and i refuse to go into an establishment that has a "gun free zone" sign on the door. 

i have carried either a 38 or 45 concealed for over 40.

and have used my concealed carry weapon numerous times to defend myself and others, also to assist law enforcement officers. 

i also agree with swift justice, but the snowflakes of the world these days feel coddling is better than punishing. 

as long as criminals know that they will only get a slap on the wrist for their crimes they will continue without fear. 

I love everyone here like a brother. We're good.

• Like 1

Associated Press  /  June 4, 2019

COLUMBIA, South Carolina, USA — A jury found South Carolina father Timothy Jones Jr. guilty of murder Tuesday in the deaths of his five young children, allowing prosecutors to seek the death penalty.

Prosecutors say Jones was a selfish, evil father who decided his children should die instead of stay with his ex-wife.

Jones, 37, confessed to exercising 6-year-old Nahtahn until he died after an electrical outlet was broken in his Lexington home in August 2014.

Prosecutors said Jones then considered what to do for several hours — watching a prison rape scene from a movie and heading to a store for cigarettes with his oldest child while leaving the others at home with the body — before deciding to kill them all.

Jones would eventually strangle 8-year-old Mera and 7-year-old Elias with his hands and, in his confession, said he used a belt to choke 2-year-old Gabriel and 1-year-old Abigail because his hands were too big.

Jones then wrapped the bodies of all five children in plastic and drove around the Southeast U.S. for nine days, running a few errands, buying synthetic marijuana, but mainly making erratic trips.

Jones searched the internet for countries that don't extradite suspects back to the U.S. and took his passport. He researched how to disintegrate bodies faster.

Jones dumped the bodies after putting them in garbage bags on a hillside near Camden, Alabama, and was arrested a short time later at a traffic checkpoint in Smith County, Mississippi, after an officer said he smelled the horrible odor of decomposition from the SUV.

Photo 4a.jpg

"Cultural decay and declining standards of behavior"

Every "indisputable" murderer apprehended alive would die within 24 hours by the exact same means he/she used on their victims.

In these cases with indisputable evidence, there would be no trial.

That, I feel, would send shock waves to those who have murderous thinking. I couldn't change them.....but I would put the fear of god into them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

"Cultural decay and declining standards of behavior"

Every "indisputable" murderer apprehended alive would die within 24 hours by the exact same means he/she used on their victims.

In these cases with indisputable evidence, there would be no trial.

That, I feel, would send shock waves to those who have murderous thinking. I couldn't change them.....but I would put the fear of god into them.

That is the issue with most all crimes today, big or small. . ..zero fear of punishment and or punishment based on social or financial status. Smollett and the SAT are prime examples

Many (most) DA's and Judges follow the laws by their views instead of the laws as written. As I was told on jury duty by a defense lawyer "there are different degrees of guilt and innocence". I told her No either guilty or not no in between. They didn't pick me. 

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3013230/death-chinese-businessman-who-raped-25-young-girls

China has this right. You’re caught red handed doing unspeakable crimes you die. No if ands or buts. No get out of jail free because you have money, influence or your parents are famous and or wealthy. 

Yes, they do have it right.

• Like 2