Cummins V903 Celebrates 50 Years in Service

kscarbel2

Neighbor has one in his Versatile but never pulls anything but a grain cart. Might be because of an odd hydrostatic trans that they did for a few years too.

Miss our old 855 Versatile with the 855 cummins in it. Wouldn't have to rev it out like the John Deere that replaced it 

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:31 AM, Ol2Stroker said:

I wonder if it's just a case of the engines sucking at lower power levels and kind of came into it's own in the 600hp spec.... it's odd that they stated reliability improved at 600hp over the 500hp setting so that leads me to believe that whatever they were using in the 500hp version and below is why they were unreliable???? I dunno just curious because I always heard they sucked too.

Kinda like back when I ran E9's, they too seemed to become more reliable the more you cranked them up.

a number of fleets back in 70's-?? ran the V-903. Guyott oil in CT had the long nose Brockway with 903's. one of my first trucking experiences as rider was in a Guyott oil Brockway which a neighbor drove. a Brockway having the old style cab NOT the converted Mack cab Brockway.

an old timer many many many years ago(around 45) retired and needed something ot do to keep from killing his wife. 

so he bought an autocar tandem dump.....with a 903 in it backed by a 13 speed trans. 

dark brown with gold flake paint, and an aluminum body that looked like a mirror. 

it was garage kept. never went out in the rain, and was washed each night before being backed into the garage.

Mr Lang had most of the engine chrome plated too. 

that truck was a head turned where ever it went. 

no one ever knew what happened to it after he passed away, and it was never seen again.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

so true Bob. the general consensus was it went over to the sandbox as that was rite around the time everything was getting developed over there and they were buying everything they could for top dollar even if they were just parts trucks.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..