Typical Shop Work

Truck Shop

On 12/1/2017 at 6:29 PM, carlotpilot said:

t s   do you happen to have an injector removal tool for a 5 cyl mercedes engine . dumb question i know but i need to know what one looks like ?

Is it for the 2.7?

I have dimensions and pic to make that set of pullers.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/2/2017 at 8:33 PM, 41chevy said:

Is it for the 2.7?

I have dimensions and pic to make that set of pullers.

yes   paul its a 2.7  i did find a puller on e bay  so at least i know now what to look for . not sure yet whether i`m going to tear this motor down and fix it or just try to get rid of it as is  its in an 04 dodge sprinter decent shape van  with low miles . doing a parts cost search then we`ll decide

22 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

yes   paul its a 2.7  i did find a puller on e bay  so at least i know now what to look for . not sure yet whether i`m going to tear this motor down and fix it or just try to get rid of it as is  its in an 04 dodge sprinter decent shape van  with low miles . doing a parts cost search then we`ll decide

I can tell you with out the pull tools and installer tool you can do damage to the cam drive cover.Plus sometimes the injector literally comes apart during removal.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

I can tell you with out the pull tools and installer tool you can do damage to the cam drive cover.Plus sometimes the injector literally comes apart during removal.

thanks for the heads up the shop manual for this thing makes it sound easy. still checking on parts . i will get a puller from somewhere . i want to get a bore scope in there and try to see whats going on before i buy any parts or gaskets. book says head is removable with motor still in the truck and it looks like you should be able to get the pan off

1 minute ago, carlotpilot said:

thanks for the heads up the shop manual for this thing makes it sound easy. still checking on parts . i will get a puller from somewhere . i want to get a bore scope in there and try to see whats going on before i buy any parts or gaskets. book says head is removable with motor still in the truck and it looks like you should be able to get the pan off

Amazon had them for about 45 or 50 with free shipping. Same 2.7 is used in Jeep also. Here's what I did up for you

51wnMOuDBsL.jpg.09b4da127d41db24b81e1c4ae75e9bfd.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 4 months later...

This is where that Series 60 at the start of this thread landed. Through the last 6 years we've bought 29 gliders this the last one the company will buy. The other half of the fleet

are DD15's and 16's. From here on no more pre-emission engines, those old engines just don't get the mileage. She has a total of 40 miles from test drive.

Truck Shop

001 (2).JPG

002 (2).JPG

004 (2).JPG

006 (2).JPG

One ping only

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the DD 15's? We average about 4-4.5mpg summer and 3.7-4mpg in the winter. Was never really that impressed with the mileage considering the old 3406E that I used to drive got closer to 6mpg and that was lots of pulling across the freeway in Wyoming where I could do 75 mph. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

6 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the DD 15's? We average about 4-4.5mpg summer and 3.7-4mpg in the winter. Was never really that impressed with the mileage considering the old 3406E that I used to drive got closer to 6mpg and that was lots of pulling across the freeway in Wyoming where I could do 75 mph. 

Our DD15's with 13spd run around 5.8 with a DT12 automatic 6.7, the Series 60 averaged 4.8 to 5.2 depending on driver.

Truck Shop

One ping only

1 hour ago, Truck Shop said:

Our DD15's with 13spd run around 5.8 with a DT12 automatic 6.7, the Series 60 averaged 4.8 to 5.2 depending on driver.

Truck Shop

Ok, I think  lot of our problems are the trucks are poorly specd for the job they're doing along with a fair amount of pto time multiple times a day doesn't help either. Then again dirtymilkman was telling me on this forum he averages nearly 7 mpg in his truck with lots of idle time and averaged something around 30 mph speeds throughout the day. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

• 4 weeks later...