Typical Shop Work

Truck Shop

34 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Have you ever pulled the liners on a 14L?A special pullers is required because piston and rod will not come out of the top of liner so it all has to be pulled at same time.These are a good engine if its not a egr valve engine.

In 44 years of this work it's not my first rodeo. I own all the tools required to do a rebuild on Series 60's. We have 46 tractors and 17 of them are 14L 60 DDEC IV. The company had 20 DDEC V's

EGR models-junk. As soon as it lost compression it shut down. And yes it's getting new rods.

One ping only

I never liked the design for the front cover/head/cam plate seal on the series 60. It seems like every one that rolls through the shop is at least damp in that area.  

I remember the days of doing engines on the ground and I dont miss it lol!  I bought my first OTC revolver engine stand and loved it so much I bought a second one. The amount of time you save in handling is immense. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BGarofalo said:

I never liked the design for the front cover/head/cam plate seal on the series 60. It seems like every one that rolls through the shop is at least damp in that area.  

I remember the days of doing engines on the ground and I dont miss it lol!  I bought my first OTC revolver engine stand and loved it so much I bought a second one. The amount of time you save in handling is immense. 

The cam plate can be a problem area for leaks. I use Napa brand Sil Glyde on the diamond seal and track seal so head slides by on installation and have no leaks doing it that way.

Plus there is a brace that goes on at the top front of head to structure both sides, if the left one is gone they will get to leaking after awhile. I worked at a shop some years ago

that had the best revolving engine stands, with built in jib crane and swing out tool trays. The owner had them built so you could work anywhere in the shop. They were monsters

heavy as hell and they would spoil a mechanic.

One ping only

11 hours ago, Ol2Stroker said:

You replacing the injector harness only or the entire engine side harness?

Just the injector/jake harness. the harness can be a problem child with age. The harness doesn't cost that much and when your in there you may as well replace it when there old.

Truck Shop

One ping only

23 hours ago, Ol2Stroker said:

I love this kind of thread, I love seeing what people are building in their shops... 

I just finished this build for a customer but he needed it back to finish fab so we didn't get to run it yet. I'll shoot out to his place for first start and to set the final tune up.

Ol2, is that a 4-71? Is it easy to get parts for the 2 cycle DDs?

It was a light Saturday for service work so I pulled the front structure apart and checked the gear train mainly the bull gear for end play and wear {ok}.

So it was a clean and reseal. It's an easy job when out of the rails. When you have the chance it's always good to check the bull gear.

Truck Shop 

One ping only

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, 1965 said:

That’s a 4-53T; I haven’t heard of it being hard to find parts

Ive been told repeatedly  that B.C, Cummins & 2 stroke Detroit parts are "OBSOLETE."  I'm sick of being told that.    Just have to do more looking now a days

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

In the truck world they are largely obsolete, 'cause by the time they're 25 years old most vehicles have been scrapped and become parts donors rather than recipients. Off road in the world of boats, gensets, and other uses due to low hours of usage or the boat being built around them, diesel engines have a much longer working life.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are a few sticklers with future gliders, Freightliner anyways. A glider has to be minus two major drive train components to be a sold as a glider.

If you order a glider from Freightliner right now with a engine you have to have a core to turn in against it or you will be charged 30,000 for the core. 

Freightliner has sold so many gliders Detroit is running low on complete cores. And Freightliner from what I understand will stop the glider program in 

2020 even with the new EPA plan on gliders.  And unfortunately there just isn't that many fleets that want to spend the time building a glider or the

shop area and mechanics to be able to complete it.  Basic cost of Detroit special tools to rebuild a series 60  about $1,800.00 and most shops that 

don't have those tools aren't going to invest in tools for 14 year old engines.   Thanks for the replies. 

Truck Shop 

One ping only

If anything the demand for glider power and electronic logs are pushing up the prices of 90s engines. I can see where the manufacturers want out of the glider business- If somebody builds a 2020 model year glider with a 90s engine and it has the typical working life of 20 years or so, they'll be stuck providing parts for 40 and 50 year old engines!