Arlen

Clear coat B61?

I will be painting my B61 this winter. It's Mack dark green. Will keep it that color. Question.....do I clear coat it after painting or is that going to far with  B61?

I would recommend a good single stage paint and forget about the clear coat

051.jpg

I  agree any quality Single Stage paint will be fine. Clear coat is best for Metallics and Factory Pearlessent colors but not really for solid colors

In my opinion, if you like low maintenance paint...clear coat it. If washing and polishing is your thing don't bother.

Thanks guys.....good info. If I do not clear coat....do I still apply a paint coat, sand with 2000 grit,repaint,repeat? New at this but want to do it myself for the experience......

If you go with the single stage you can mix the last coat with clear per the directions from the paint mfg. On true base coat clear coat the only sanding is on the clear. After a week of drying I dry sand with 1500 then wet sand with 2000 then 4000. Wait a few days then buff the paint out. I do not sand the single stage paints. If you want a first class  job look at what Willie Dog did on his B 42 P tanker. He used Nason base/clear and buffed the paint out. You might contact him and see if he will share any of his secrets. This was one of the best jobs I have seen in a while. Also we like to see pictures of your truck. 

Thanks guys. Sounds good

20171031_230252.thumb.jpg.f54f748f8a27ddf793e3027813f243eb.jpgJust a follow up to previous posts. Getting to point of  buying the exterior green for my b61. Am considering PHO acrylic enamel with gardener. Number is 40496PP. Does that make sense?

40496 is the PPG Ditzler code for Mack green. think its pretty standard

I use PPG acrylic urethane for metallic and solid color basecoats, and clearcoat everything. You can wetsand and buff the clear for an outstanding finish, and buff again later for minor surface scratches that appear. It's also much easier to repair your basecoat if you have a clearcoat to blend to. I use this method for farm tractors, cars, and trucks.

Just curious,what's wrong with the paint Mack sells with the harder,had a truck painted with it once and the painter added a different hardner,it was a super wet look hardner,that truck had a killer shine on it for many years with very little maintness..

Mack always used Kirker cheicals for their paint. good for most but for a pro restoration they are cheap and i don't think have the lasting qualities for shine and color fading that PPG or Dupont do

On 10/29/2017 at 10:02 PM, carlotpilot said:

I would recommend a good single stage paint and forget about the clear coat

051.jpg

truck shop    could you imigineer a drawing of this hood with dual headlights ? w900 style

i much prefer base clears. i feel they hold up better and give a better appearance. 

as far as having to sand it, you don't have to sand in between your base and your clear unless your outside of the re-coat window, you don't need to sand it afterwards unless you want to. i can shoot pretty darn flat most the time i leave it as it lays unless its something where i really want that perfect Finnish. ill just spot any flaws or dust nibs and and then buff. clears are also easier to fix if you have issues or damage in the future.