OldRedMack

2007 AMI 370

Question

As the title says I have an AMI 370 and it's a dog until 1500rpm,  then all the fuel and air come in at once and it takes off like a rocket.  Any ideas on whats going on? The truck has plenty of power, just all after 1500rpm.

18 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

Well I have had the truck working for about a week after the new program and updates to the pedal.  And the truck still seems off to me, so I decide to pressure check the intake myself today.  Keep in mind that Macks own dyno procedures say that they are supposed to pressure check the fuel and Intake, which they apparently did not! Because today when I checked it, the number 4 cylinder on the intake manifold gasket is leaking as fast as you can put air in.  So I'm getting it fixed tomorrow and can't wait to see what the truck does with full boost.  I wish I would have done that first like yall said, and I'm thoroughly disappointed that mack did not.

The new intake gaskets are steel core and wont blow out like the old ones.  I dont know when they phased in the new gaskets.  

Time for another update.  I got the intake gasket changed, boost and pyro installed.  It's running a lot quieter, I've had boost up to 40psi, and pyro is usually 600-700 but has gone up to 1k on hard pull.  Running a lot better but feels like there is still more to give, so I ordered a set of injectors from K&S.  Hopefully I will have them by the weekend and see what she runs like then.

Alright, after six new injectors from k&s, we went to the 427/460 nozzle and holders. 2 new eups, number 6 was acting up and I snapped the screws off of number 1 trying to swap them out to see if there was a difference. And a k&n air filter, I have a smooth running truck putting out 44psi of boost, with no smoke running empty.  I have not put a load on it yet since getting it all done today.  Fun thing is that I never had an eup code or a skip/miss until I put the new injectors in.

Also i forgot to add that Mike at K&S was very great to talk to and deal with.

• Like 1

The truck runs great now, it is actually fun to drive.  It spools up fast and if your on boost when you hit a hill you won' even notice that you had to climb.  Only thing left to do now is get rid of the t310mlr and get a fuller 8ll with some better gear ratios in the tranny.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:28 AM, Mackpro said:

I take that back. your AMI-370 has 1480 torque. The AI-400 has 1360. And the 427 has 1460 ft pounds of torque. So really , going to a 427 you will gain HP but loose some  torque. I think Id first get the Step 12B done and also any other software update for the EECU and VECU and try that. Get a good boost pressure guage and see that your in the 28-36 psi spec. 

AMI-370 looks like a good spec. Not only is it the only AI engine with more torque than every engine except AI-460, at the sweet spot (1,700 to 1,900 RPM) the AMI-370 holds 405 horsepower. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 3:33 PM, OldRedMack said:

I have been really happy with it, nothing like catching a cat powered pete or kw on a hill or at a red light and then running away from them as they look at you in bewilderment.  One of these days I'm going to get it dynoed again and see what she is really doing.

You ever Dyno it O.R.M.?

No I havent yet, been too busy.  And also the mack dealer in Atlanta moved buildings and left the dyno behind because they never used it on the new trucks, and I havent really had time to look around and find another shop with a dyno.  If anyone in BMT world knows who has a dyno in Atlanta I would love to know.