H62X Global Ford Cargo Heavy Truck Emerges

kscarbel2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Glad to see they abandoned the " Transformer" look so many "Euro" tractors have (IMO).  Be interesting to see what the power trains are-and if this migrates to SA

Bob, the "transformer" look was JMC's idea for the JMC-badged version of the old model. And it's not too bad looking, even if not exactly our taste.

The H62X is a serious new world class performer at home in Turkey, China, Western Europe and..........if needed, North America.

Now, imagine that truck in a conventional cab version with a hood (bonnet).

IMHO, one of the better looking cabovers. Would be great to see it on U.S. roads... Maybe Ford should get their lobbyists to work pushing new length limits, something like as much cargo as you can fit into a 25 meter overall length.

• Like 1

Our current 53' single/ 2x28' doubles restrictions limit productivity. Allowing 25 meter (82') combinations like Canada, Australia, and South Africa with no restrictions on the length of doubles, droms, and truck bodies would improve productivity by up to 40% and improve safety. Allowing "turnpike doubles" on 4 lane and well engineered 2 lane roads would nearly double productivity.

I see triples going up and down the freeway. I pull an a train that’s 102’ oal. Granted there are some freeways like kansas and Nebraska that weren’t built heavy enough for more than 5axle 80k rigs but you can still parallel with the freeway through them with heavier loads. I did it with 7 axle cattle trucks for years. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

16 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, the "transformer" look was JMC's idea for the JMC-badged version of the old model. And it's not too bad looking, even if not exactly our taste.

The H62X is a serious new world class performer at home in Turkey, China, Western Europe and..........if needed, North America.

Now, imagine that truck in a conventional cab version with a hood (bonnet).

Kevin, IMO IF -big IF-they ever decided to get back in the conventional 7/8 market in a serious way, I would hope for a purpose built cab.  What benefit is there to these ultra wide cabs with short mirror extensions?  Now my B-61 is narrow and confined for sure, but in the old days, my experience with 4000/9000  Whites, Louisvilles, and R models worked well-enough- room all around and great visibility-in particular the Fords and the R models (U and DM's too).  

And for sure I'm not talking about a "large car" that never sees anything but interstates.   I'm talking about the true vocational market.  Perhaps the over the road guys like all that space between the side glass and aren't worried about backing into a ready-mix plant that was laid out 60 years ago with a load of bulk cement or an old  bulk plant with a load of no.2 fuel.

But the true vocational market I think has different needs.

Agreed, for most purposes with a conventional a narrower than full width cab works best. As for a dedicated conventional cab, Ford is a volume manufacturer and isn't going to tool up an exclusive cab for their share of the North American class 7&8 market of only 300,000 or so vehicles a year. If we want up to date trucks, we're gonna have to go with the flow and switch back to cabovers.

4 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Kevin, IMO IF -big IF-they ever decided to get back in the conventional 7/8 market in a serious way, I would hope for a purpose built cab.  What benefit is there to these ultra wide cabs with short mirror extensions?  Now my B-61 is narrow and confined for sure, but in the old days, my experience with 4000/9000  Whites, Louisvilles, and R models worked well-enough- room all around and great visibility-in particular the Fords and the R models (U and DM's too).  

And for sure I'm not talking about a "large car" that never sees anything but interstates.   I'm talking about the true vocational market.  Perhaps the over the road guys like all that space between the side glass and aren't worried about backing into a ready-mix plant that was laid out 60 years ago with a load of bulk cement or an old  bulk plant with a load of no.2 fuel.

But the true vocational market I think has different needs.

Bob, they would likely produce a narrower version of the H62X cab for a conventional variant.

For example, the narrow width Freightliner Century Class, Columbia and Coronado use the same cab platform as the wider full-width Argosy. The cab on the conventionals is 305mm (12 inches) narrower.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, they would likely produce a narrower version of the H62X cab for a conventional variant.

For example, the narrow width Freightliner Century Class, Columbia and Coronado use the same cab platform as the wider full-width Argosy. The cab on the conventionals is 305mm (12 inches) narrower.

Kevin-ok sounds good- I guess I'm thinking worst case where the economy of same glass, floor pans etc would make for the least costly option.

But to Maxidyne's point, I'm thinking -again, broken record-with OAP building 450/550 chassis cabs, Ford is shipping aluminum cabs to OAP for those trucks, and steel cabs still in use for 650/750.  Should be enough volume to come up with a truly competitive "big truck" cab that serves 450-750, and future "850" tandems.

And when the new GM class 4,5,6 hit the market in force with their tilt hoods, unless they are significantly more expensive than the old alligator hood   Fords, Ford -and  Dodge will be in a dog fight.

As far as scrunching down the H62X cab goes, by the time they got done I suspect they'd have to pretty much redesign most every panel anyways. Unless there's a narrow cab "Cargo" version of the H62X already here or in the pipeline? Ford could try the time (dis)honored method of jacking up an F150 cab, sliding a class 6/7/8 chassis underneath, and a tilt hood in front... But is their enough headroom in an F150 cab for suspension seats, etc.? Red Horse, you may have the best idea- a whole new "big truck" cab for everything from the F450 on up.

Iveco do 2 different width "Stralis" Cabs..

The Australian Designed & built Powerstar uses the narrow version..

Related image

And there's a large dealer Group in Europe that Convert Stralis's (with the Aussie Hood)to what they call a "Strator" & they Use the Wide cab..

Related image

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I think if Ford thought they still had any US heavy truck market share, they would still own the Louisville plant that they pawned off to Daimler for the short lived Sterling experiment. For that matter GM could probably beat Ford on a heavy truck and don't see much of that happening either. 

Fords Decision to sell their heavy Truck division for a mere fraction of the HN80's development cost, would rank as one Fords Dumbest decisons.. In my opinion..

• Like 2

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

6 hours ago, 12V71 said:

I think if Ford thought they still had any US heavy truck market share, they would still own the Louisville plant that they pawned off to Daimler for the short lived Sterling experiment. For that matter GM could probably beat Ford on a heavy truck and don't see much of that happening either. 

Ford never sold the Louisville plant.....they re-purposed it.

Sterling production took place in Canada..............http://www.fleetowner.com/mag/fleet_sterling_trucks_launched

I think if Ford wanted to get back in class 8 they would start by trying to get some parts support for all the Louisville  L-9000 and L-8000 trucks that are still running in the US, there are a lot of Ford trucks out there. I also think if they could get the HN80 cab back, put steel doors and a better dash in it, make it right this time. Start by offering a 2019 glider kit for dump truck use, set back axle, 1998-1999 Cat or Cummins, heavy single frame. That truck would sell better than many think and would not cost that much to get back in class 8. No one is waiting for a cabover Ford  class 8 truck in the US.

42 minutes ago, TS7 said:

I think if Ford wanted to get back in class 8 they would start by trying to get some parts support for all the Louisville  L-9000 and L-8000 trucks that are still running in the US, there are a lot of Ford trucks out there. I also think if they could get the HN80 cab back, put steel doors and a better dash in it, make it right this time. Start by offering a 2019 glider kit for dump truck use, set back axle, 1998-1999 Cat or Cummins, heavy single frame. That truck would sell better than many think and would not cost that much to get back in class 8. No one is waiting for a cabover Ford  class 8 truck in the US.

I have to say, I rarely see any L8000 and L9000 trucks on the road today. Most were owned by the fleets (alike GMC Brigadiers), who purged them many years ago during their routine equipment upgrades.

An evolved-forward HN80 could stand with any North American truck on the market today. Don't you agree Bob?

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

From what I heard Daimler got all the parts in the deal. If the cab tooling still exists, I suspect Daimler has it too. Ford made a hell of a mistake selling off the big trucks and it'll be expensive as hell to replace them.

That's how It works here in Australia.. It's surprising What Parts Daimler can still supply !!

Prices can be a bit random though. can vary from "reasonable" to "bend over & grab your ankles" !!

Have to admit to having a soft spot for The Louisville  I've owned 6 over the last 30yrs & in fact still have 2, with one still working fora living.

Ford squandered a massive opportunity with their Handling of the HN80 project..

• Like 2

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -