1980 Peterbilt 359 International Transport

Ol2Stroker

Not much for updates I've been busy rebuilding the transmission in my bulldozer and reinstalling it. It's starting to get cold here so i dumped the water out of the truck and got some coolant in it and ran it to temperature to circulate. Sure starts and runs excellent!!!! I got the new radio, cb and speakers in the mail last week, only had time to throw the speakers in quick. Hope to tackle the radio and cb soon.

So the following day after I put coolant in the truck and ran it to temp I went outside to show my buddy the truck who hasn't seen it yet and opened the hood and checked the coolant. Radiator empty..... uh oh. Pulled dipstick.... way over full. You know where this is going.... pulled drain plug got 5 gallons of coolant before i got any oil out. LOL Pulled the pan off today.

8v92 Coolant in pan video

No traces in airbox or under valve covers. I believe I'm a victim of an old style water pump with no weephole.

Water pump on order.

Edited by wayne64ss

Me too!!! Really got lucky here!

Finished up the stereo,cb, and speaker install on sunday. I can't wait to get this thing on the road.

Some fresh speakers behind the factory covers in the cab and in the sleeper
fkfJYqhxKwfC0V-uThhW4HaAyK6V-5yJv6pQlcf8

Sounds awesome and looks good in there.
b4GWyiTEY3rNYviqj2XRTcvFsGStfZgzO8d4yTXZ

Edited by wayne64ss
  • Like 1

I just used some armor-all leather wipes and some leather cleaner??? 

Did the water pump job Friday and got all the fluids back in on Saturday and got her running again. Easy job woulda been ALOT nicer inside in a heater bay instead of outside in 15degree weather. UGH I hate winter. Even still I had the pump off in under 40 minutes.

wXNKRbjvYr-MmCHuROZau0dakhcfTlnMtg9V7I6h

Confirmation:

vL2J7msRHkCeVI7rHD-0Nk9laYAZxLNSWrKl3TFr

362k-s8VQKSwM6WRwc-9eJZhkhJace9MZ8ITfJP7

Turns out the old pump does have a weep hole but it was very small and plugged. Also totally invisible to check in this application.

1ewiNebWTEytwQOZzH0U86mTg-QgOfHCEBqmx6U4

Had a bunch of minor leaks when finished which were all hose clamps not tight enough. Think I've got em all squared away and I moved the truck to it's winter location. I'll check again tonight.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Been awhile... though I had a buyer for this but as is typical money never appeared. Was only selling it so I wouldn't have to see it sit any more so I decided since I didn't need to sell it we'd make a better choice. 

First lets get the old girl pulled out of the weeds.

bbuV_6UoW6SbcdBo500rW7sRalLvmHE3RN0MI2R9

Next lets get it turned around and in a spot we can work on it a little easier.

D20BBkca6brZL89XNfD5Jns3v-q_Fyy5ctWUtBmd

Lets get to work shall we:

4ugUEWqwMirf32sGBzCQhxHsoXqXzCFG8m_uW0Bm

dfF8_Q16JbnCAux8GLBElCu1SkttMuLUOo9fn6Sr

• Like 1

As you can see the back half of the truck needs.... everything. lol 

jHcNH0CXJ_3o9HB1HGCub8D7WjTQMhSxJncL4kti

P_TU4ifleaSrRZ3AzyFJ6acfshZx4uNAvSsKqL_8

We also had a bunch of work to do up front. The radiator has always had a leak at the seam right above the lower outlet. Out she comes.

ToSvECUb-PDw5ZX0FVzHyVmKylE-Q1cJ6sysOBRV

o5Bu-HlWoRVMSOy3_js_1EZsLdFuHMq1BgSNMjW0

On top of that the single rounds and rock shields looked like complete shit and had to go!

xfFDZ7IqVtAPdgvH8bePyP97Wy6_SaAcaaf2pyHF
This poor radiator was in ROUGH shape.
3WTnA6a9ZxYNIQ_iZVw-OCaGd1NWK7Wco6SWsKMs

qGyo1RaOGAKYq3nDWVQZYbxbKSHdFE-M0ZB5ly0B

Here you can see where the leak was. The corrosion in this area was so bad it actually snapped all the bolts above that outlet.

EGRsKoFz0SF_s5Q9xzAHPqunS2lUggxs8CEqAHgL

Core is filthy but appeared in good shape otherwise.

SEtC15OsZjymvzDv0N-Pqapir5UDVTIPyrdLCrH_

First trip to the store. Ugh. The bleeding begins.

dZVYRpKMGT07j_VxPPDcI65U6RX7Wc9de8sJQR_5

Decided to pull a front wheel and have a look. Not too shabby.

uTVyeIC8zx7XTJwk5EyfcK2ufedrAEWVm4CIj_-K

Cleaned up nice!

vuwjI9VqZGl3bh3qBlSqX3UM03jW2j-ckitiHUE1
Edited by Ol2Stroker
  • Like 1

Typical... have to tarp for rain again!

vkcQAunJdyvIhHCoO7Y8huPee-11O7PgE7c9JDwI

Luckily paint cured just fine. It's as close as I could get it to the body color. I brought a panel with me to napa to match to when I bought the paint.

CeiSHfuWPu3tgn-21zA6XhjywVHTgl1nbXiLWBcJ

With the truck paint cleaned up (not even buffed yet) it's a whole lot closer. Really excited to buff the truck next year now!!

gAwbqmzI0pdoWNAeJ0EUunmfI_OnYtm1U_oltdVt

xiX_6_sibAHHylnwajL6WI-v8xEg5qMpPH993oPr

So what I haven't mentioned is that in the mean time the radiator has been at a radiator repair shop... now i did ALL the hard work and spent 12 hours removing all the fasteners and extracting broken ones etc. I loosely reassembled and punch marked everything for location and delivered to the shop to be cleaned, rodded etc. What I got back from them was half assembled radiator they said the core was bad on because of a small crack between 2 bolt holes on the header flange. They wanted $3000 for just the new core plus I had to pay $400 regardless for their halfass assembly work. I got this thing back and it wasn't even assembled properly let alone cleaned or painted. Didn't even bother removing corrosion in places. Needless to say I'll never bring anything to acme radiator in watervliet ny ever again. So now that the radiator is back home lets do it the right way... fully disassembled yet AGAIN. This time I sandblasted them myself.

nk162uyw9qJpVvlP1mNt5OHU1GpJowH0nDihkbp-

Nvs9mnZmurRRnVfHzaff-1wD2qCa9CIIY1lf7ysb

Since I had the blaster out I did the 5th and plate.... too bad the plate is wasted on the bottom side.

oedIxAHztdToKEUlVgVSyom1U0kJ46_CijbIv4YJ

Painting all my freshly blasted radiator parts:

pZM2VzNoH3R3pegHqaQFRaJU4aL03HAFpTytpO1L

My buddy was able to fix the core no problem and the radiator shop did rod it before they found the crack so I figured I'd better paint it.

dwKWURntw0E7Xj1qG_b-FyuW6h-1sJEySm7jgQyA

Man she looks great all assembled right?!?!?!

9zxU6OGc7gPjwhkrOwBb_YbRdpQDpwe9fk8hSubB

Sadly this radiator saga was far from over. Upon pressure test I found the sandblaster uncovered a porous casting on the lower tank. What you're seeing is water weeping through the casting in that spot. Back apart she comes.

ofFYnMhb4J024x8LFnemaaleMrhfK_ywupQ1MkCY

Took me twice to get it right but i finally ended up grinding it wide open and then using some DEVCON aluminum putty to repair.

TOQHsGN2UMTnf8edmzbYOrKsslHDCHnTgS7tBYgc
Edited by Ol2Stroker
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, r686st said:

You have been very busy! I am impressed with the quality of the rebuild and it's how I did my superliner. If you were to sell it once you get done working on it what do you think you'd want for it?

I dunno man... wouldn't be cheap though. Reality is when I'm done you'd be able to put it to work.

• Like 1