Chevrolet Class 4/5/6 Silverado

kscarbel2

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

The non-emissions 12-valve B Series engines averaged 22 miles per gallon.

Yep and Dad like most of the Cummins fans weren’t excited when they went to the 24 valve in ‘98. Mileage was still decent but got better with a tuner. Like I said earlier he was very disappointed with his 6.7 until he did the delete. I’d really like to repower on of my older vehicles with the new Cummins R2.8l which is the replacement for the 4bt. It’s 300 pounds lighter than the 4bt has (if I’m remembering the article correctly) 167hp and I think around 270tq. Cummins gave the crew at Peterson’s 4WOR Magazine a few to put into jeeps and pickups and the Cummins engineers were actually with them on a lot of the trips checking out the motor and in different situations and the motor did phenomenal. No emissions on it and it’s only offered as a turn key crate motor for $10k. 

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1710-beta-testing-the-r2-8-diesel-with-cummins/

Edited by HeavyGunner
Added content
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

• 1 month later...

Chevy dealers report for medium-duty

Michael Wayland, Automotive News  /  September 3, 2018

Hundreds of Chevrolet dealers are preparing their stores for what could be one of the most significant boosts for their fixed operations business in a decade.

"There is a huge amount of business that's been waiting for us to get back into this market and business," said Mike Bowsher, chairman of the Chevrolet National Dealer Council.

Bowsher, owner of Carl Black Automotive Group, in Kennesaw, Ga., is one of more than 400 Chevy dealers who have agreed to sell medium-duty commercial trucks, including new Chevrolet Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD and 6500HD trucks that are scheduled to go into production in early December.

Dealers across the country — from Carl Black's Chevrolet stores in Georgia to Silveira Chevrolet in Sonoma, Calif. — have been anticipating the arrival of such trucks for months, if not years.

"Those of us who lost medium-duty in the past, we lost a lot of service business, and we lost a lot of gross profit due to those sales going away," Bowsher said.

GM exited the medium-duty segment as part of its 2009 bankruptcy, allowing Ford Motor Co. to increase its commercial leadership position and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Ram to expand its business.

Many Chevy dealers re-established medium-duty operations two years ago to support the brand's low-cab-forward trucks, but the Silverado medium-duty trucks are expected to be the bread and butter of Chevy's new commercial lineup.

"We have a number of dealers that are going to grow their facility for either stocking or service or just building an adjacent building for the expansion," said John Schwegman, director of commercial product and medium duty at GM Fleet. "It's not about what's the minimum requirement. It's about 'How do I maximize my return for this opportunity?' because they see it as a significant opportunity."

Upgrades

Requirements include training for sales and service staff on commercial vehicles as well as parts and other specifications such as service door heights and lifts to accommodate the trucks.

GM said about a third of the more than 400 medium-duty dealers are new to the business or are re-establishing their operations for the medium-duty Silverados.

GM has established a "Commercial College" to help train dealers for the medium-duty trucks, including the low-cab forwards, which dealers are required to sell alongside the Silverados, according to Paul McKay, manager of commercial dealer operations.

About 2,000 people are expected to be trained as part of the program, which is a mix of on-site, online and remote training for sales and service staff.

"What we want to just make sure is when these [medium-duty] customers call or they come visit, we want to make sure our dealership partners are ready to meet the needs of that customer," McKay said.

Silveira Chevrolet, a newcomer to Chevy's medium-duty truck business, has installed two service bays and plans to add sales and technician staff as needed, according to Darron Kendall, commercial-sales manager.

Silveira, he said, decided to enter the business to offer a full line of vehicles for its customers, including a "large number of clients" in the wine business in Sonoma and Napa counties in Northern California.

"By being able to handle all of their vehicles, we can ensure that we maintain a great relationship with them to ensure that all of their vehicle needs are met," said Kendall, who declined to disclose how much the dealership has spent on meeting medium-duty requirements.

GM previously estimated the cost to meet the requirements at $100,000 to $200,000. Incremental training and parts could cost $10,000 to $15,000 for those dealers.

Others such as Randy Marion already have the infrastructure in place and have continued to service commercial vehicles despite GM exiting the segment.

"We've been out of the game, but now we're getting back into the game," said Marion, owner of Randy Marion Chevrolet-Buick-Cadillac in Mooresville, N.C. "We're really excited."

Marion, one of Chevrolet's highest-volume commercial dealers in the country according to GM, has about 40 employees working on its commercial business. He said that number could increase as the dealership gets more business from the Silverado trucks.

GM executives have said they expect three adjacent sales of other vehicles with each medium-duty truck sold. That, according to officials, should translate to additional fixed-operations business.

"It could be and should be significant," said Keith McCluskey, owner of McCluskey Chevrolet in metropolitan Cincinnati. "If there's that many adjacent sales, then let's extrapolate that into the fixed operations."

Priority service

Another main dealer-led focus as GM prepares to launch the Silverados is ensuring dealers offer extended "priority service" hours for medium-duty customers to expedite maintenance and repairs, according to McKay.

"These medium-duty customers have high expectations and doing service work during just normal business hours doesn't always work," he said.

For example, McCluskey Chevrolet is already open seven days a week with service hours for retail customers, including until 3 a.m. weekdays. The store plans to keep those hours for its medium-duty business, including an early-morning pickup.

"It's an important part of the business," McCluskey said. "It can be a very high volume model for those of us who focus on it."

Photo 4.jpg

On one hand they have some making up to do as they have been out of the medium duty picture for awhile, but a lot of former GM medium duty customers never stopped buying light duty from them.  That will help.

That 6500 needs a 22.5" wheel option to make it 'dock height'.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First Medium-Duty Chevy Silverado Trucks Ship to Dealers

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  December 19, 2018

The Chevrolet Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD chassis cab trucks — the first-ever medium-duty Silverado trucks — are in production and on their way to dealerships starting Dec. 19. The trucks were first shown to the public at the 2018 NTEA Work Truck Show.

“When we decided to get back into the medium-duty segment, we were determined to build the truck our customers have been asking for,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, GM Fleet. “We listened to the needs of fleet managers, truck drivers, technicians and dealers to design a truck that’s easy to upfit, easy to drive, easy to service and easy to own.”

The new Silverado trucks feature clean, straight frame rail design with no rivets, brackets, or welds. Additionally, the seven cab-to-axle lengths can work for a variety of upfits. Some of the strongest interest has come from the housing and highway construction, landscaping, and utility industries, according GM.

Photo 2.jpg

Straight 34" frame rail spacing with nothing, not even a rivet head, protruding from the top of the rails.  Nothing hanging off the sides of the rails behind the cab.

I think the man said 7 different wheel bases.

Easy electrical interface for upfitter.

Rear air suspension a factory option.  This will get them a lot of ambulance, bus, and 'Super C' motorhome business.

DEF filler in right front fender.  Upfitter doesn't have to install one.

Many Allison transmission options.  They are all 2000 series, but specific calibrations for various vocations.

I liked the old 4500/5500 Kodiak, but this truck is a lot more competitive.  Looks like the price will be competitive too.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RoadwayR said:

Straight 34" frame rail spacing with nothing, not even a rivet head, protruding from the top of the rails.  Nothing hanging off the sides of the rails behind the cab.

I think the man said 7 different wheel bases.

Easy electrical interface for upfitter.

Rear air suspension a factory option.  This will get them a lot of ambulance, bus, and 'Super C' motorhome business.

DEF filler in right front fender.  Upfitter doesn't have to install one.

Many Allison transmission options.  They are all 2000 series, but specific calibrations for various vocations.

I liked the old 4500/5500 Kodiak, but this truck is a lot more competitive.  Looks like the price will be competitive too.  

thx for posting.  You should post this on BON and see what response is.  I'm assuming this is all related to the 6500-which is a 22,000 lb max class 6.  I do believe air suspension is an option on an F-650, with 19.5 or 22.5 wheels.  I think most of the other items are pretty much equal-def tank next to fuel tank, all kinds of upfitter switches etc.  I would think FL is the same.

Biggest positive I see is the  Allison options-as well as the tilt hood.  And both of those IMO will be a big attraction for a lot of fleets

Now if these positives you identify ALSO pertain to 4500 and 5500 across the board, Ford and Ram are going to be scrambling again assuming pricing is in reason.  

As I have posted before, there is an Altech facility not far from me and I frequently drive through yard.  In class 4 and 5  it is virtually 90%  Ford.awaiting boom/bucket installs.    Be interesting to see how quickly the GM and Internationals start showing up in those classes.  As for 7, 8 FL and International predominate but seeing more and more Paccars.

• Like 1

My understanding is most all of this applies to the 4500 and 5500 as well.  I think some of the longer wheelbases are restricted to the heavier series trucks.  I think about all Chevy really needs to add to these trucks is a gasoline/CNG/LNG engine and 22.5" wheels for the 6500's.  Gas engine is reported to be coming for the 2020 model year.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RoadwayR said:

My understanding is most all of this applies to the 4500 and 5500 as well.  I think some of the longer wheelbases are restricted to the heavier series trucks.  I think about all Chevy really needs to add to these trucks is a gasoline/CNG/LNG engine and 22.5" wheels for the 6500's.  Gas engine is reported to be coming for the 2020 model year.

Bottom line-competition will improve the "breed". Ford is arrogant-as evidenced by the marketing guys comment I referred to recently-"like they don't have to do anything"-guess what-as I see things around here, Dodge does well in class 4 and 5 and seems to me they do it on price-so owners have told me.  These GM/Binders will be doing it on specs or so it seems-again pricing within reason.

• Like 1

Worked for a buddy of mine for a year mechanicing. Worked on couple 4500’s, pulled heads off 1 duramax (impressive engine compared to power strokes; my opinion) easy to work on compared to p/u’s. Helping a friend now that has an 04, 4500 he bought used from an abusive place; very impressed with drivetrain (pulling 450 jd dozer on gooseneck); but hard to find parts for now. ( interior parts) since they quit making them. I like the looks of the new 1’s coming out. My opinion again they need a gas option; me personally with the gas engines today; I’d rather have it compared to all the bullshit on the diesels & price per gallon. But they need a big block instead of the 6.0.

These new trucks sound awesome.  Then again, I'd like to have my old trucks from back in the day, my 1967 C10, C40, and C60. The C40 had over 300K miles on its 2bbl 283 and still ran well when I sold it to the next guy.  Those were spartan trucks to be sure but there was nothing on them that I couldn't fix.

• Like 1

22.5 wheels usually mean air brakes and above 26000 g v w. we ordered a 19 about 7 months ago. its in this week. we ordered our own wrecker body s we will see what happens. personally we have 5-6 of the old style junk in my opinion 04-08 Kodiak style with the van style cab. hope this is better

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

9 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

22.5 wheels usually mean air brakes and above 26000 g v w. we ordered a 19 about 7 months ago. its in this week. we ordered our own wrecker body s we will see what happens. personally we have 5-6 of the old style junk in my opinion 04-08 Kodiak style with the van style cab. hope this is better

Clarification-6500 GM ?  Truck at dealers?  Your first impressions will be interesting. 

we ordered a 4500. I meant when you think about a truck with 22.5's your usually talkin air brakes to and above 2600 gvw. granted there are some IH Penske trucks with juice brakes also with 22'5. to me I hate the 03-08 Kodiak 45-6500 series. the Duramax was a great engine in a pick up or one ton as long as people kept their fingers out of them. we have a 1 ton 05 wrecker at work with a Miiller body on it with almost 300,000 hard miles on it. that's the one the new 4500 is replacing. we have also had 5-6 of the 4500 old van cab series Kodiaks with flatbeds on them. they see a lot of abuse but it seems your always fixing something on them and the interior plastics and panels left a lot to be desired. that being said we have a few with 400,000 miles on them but god are they rattle traps. th last 'Real Kodiak' as I call them was our 2000 , 6500 with a little 3206 Cat and 7 speed spicer in it with the pickup style cab Detroit locker. that was a good truck. I think when GM went with the van style Isuzu cab it left a lot to be desired. glad they have went back to the pickup style cab

Edited by Maddog13407
  • Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

12 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

we ordered a 4500. I meant when you think about a truck with 22.5's your usually talkin air brakes to and above 2600 gvw. granted there are some IH Penske trucks with juice brakes also with 22'5. to me I hate the 03-08 Kodiak 45-6500 series. the Duramax was a great engine in a pick up or one ton as long as people kept their fingers out of them. we have a 1 ton 05 wrecker at work with a Miiller body on it with almost 300,000 hard miles on it. that's the one the new 4500 is replacing. we have also had 5-6 of the 4500 old van cab series Kodiaks with flatbeds on them. they see a lot of abuse but it seems your always fixing something on them and the interior plastics and panels left a lot to be desired. that being said we have a few with 400,000 miles on them but god are they rattle traps. th last 'Real Kodiak' as I call them was our 2000 , 6500 with a little 3206 Cat and 7 speed spicer in it with the pickup style cab Detroit locker. that was a good truck. I think when GM went with the van style Isuzu cab it left a lot to be desired. glad they have went back to the pickup style cab

Matt- I checked F-650 Lo-Pro Diesel order guide.  You can get an air ride in either 12,000 or 19,000 pd rating with juice or air brakes and of course 19.5 wheels.

GM though will own the market I would bet in class 4 and 5 as Ford does not offer air ride rears and I don't think Dodge does either.

Keep us posted on your thoughts when you get this new truck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 11:05 PM, RoadwayR said:

Ford has their work cut out for them-some of these "benefits" are debatable but looks like advantage to GM- wonder if they have a similar "attack" piece for Ram?

Will see if they start showing up in the Altech facility that is one town over from mine.  Inventory there awaiting installs is virtually all Ford in class 4/5.  Every now and then a Ram shows up.

Red Horse a 2019 F-550 is a proven truck. A 2019 GM 5500 is what? Built by Navistar and sold by GM dealers that have not sold class 4-6 trucks in years. What could go wrong. I would not want to be the owner of the first one.

13 hours ago, j hancock said:

Bob, doing any recon through Madigan's place?

No Jim-been a while.  But always interesting.  I saw the first Mass DOT tow plows  there when they went in service-that was I think two or three years ago and I think I have seen one in service since.  You can't believe this Altech site though/  Facility is not that big-maybe 8 install bays and if I had to guess they lately have a 100 plus chassis waiting their turn.

15 hours ago, TS7 said:

Red Horse a 2019 F-550 is a proven truck. A 2019 GM 5500 is what? Built by Navistar and sold by GM dealers that have not sold class 4-6 trucks in years. What could go wrong. I would not want to be the owner of the first one.

The Navistar dealers are excited about the CV product.

Designed and built by Navistar in partnership with GM, the CV/Silverado is a truck to be reckoned with.

I suspect the GM commercial dealers will exceed our expectations.

• Like 1