Dirty Jobs

66dc75

New show just started Returning the favors gained a few pounds and gray hairs going all over US help people from vets to inner city kids to start work shops it is a good series they are 30-45 min shows...not on TV yet look on face book that's where Ive seen all 6 shows..

Ed

I watched them making that scrapple. Oddly enough, some people still ate it after watching it. They just put leftover parts, everything they swept up off the floor, all the trash out of the parking lot, and whatever was in the dumpster in a big ol' tank and boiled it down for a couple of days. Might have been a week or so, I don't remember. Then they scooped it out of the tank and pressed all the liquid out between two rollers, like in a giant wringer washing machine. Then they put it in the fridge over night and the next morning they put it in a machine that cut it into blocks, kinda like bricks, only it was scrapple. Then everybody tasted it and said "mmmmm, this is good!" so they wrapped the scrapple bricks up and loaded them onto pallets so they could be shipped out to all the scrapple distribution centers in the U.S.

At least that's how I remembered it.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

25 minutes ago, other dog said:

I watched them making that scrapple. Oddly enough, some people still ate it after watching it. They just put leftover parts, everything they swept up off the floor, all the trash out of the parking lot, and whatever was in the dumpster in a big ol' tank and boiled it down for a couple of days. Might have been a week or so, I don't remember. Then they scooped it out of the tank and pressed all the liquid out between two rollers, like in a giant wringer washing machine. Then they put it in the fridge over night and the next morning they put it in a machine that cut it into blocks, kinda like bricks, only it was scrapple. Then everybody tasted it and said "mmmmm, this is good!" so they wrapped the scrapple bricks up and loaded them onto pallets so they could be shipped out to all the scrapple distribution centers in the U.S.

At least that's how I remembered it.

same way they make hot dogs and bologna, only less spices. and that has never stopped people from eating hot dogs or bologna.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

So we stopped at the Starlight Diner on Rt100 for breakfast Friday morning on the way to the Macungie show this year. I ordered scrapple and eggs. My buddy Matt never heard of it before and decided to have it too.

Later that day I asked him if he had ever eaten pork hearts, he said no way. I said  "Yes you have!". He didn't puke but he wasn't happy.

• Like 1

Scrapple is very popular around here.   Lots of people make it and there is a big diffrence in who makes it.    I don't eat it but my wife & oldest son do.   Along with many others.    image.thumb.jpg.b7404743e53d07915d7a096035d998af.jpg

As for creamed chipped beef,aka s.o.s., aka "shit on the shingles" is great.   I like it on toast and homefries.   

There are alot of interesting "foods" in central PA.   I can't pronounce or let alone spell but I'll try to come up with a few in the next few days.   

Scrapple was a fire house breakfast staple and the southerners quickly converted this yankee when I moved here. It is best dredged in a little flour and browned in butter.

But. I also grew up eating head cheese, aka Presylta, that my Swedish grand parents brought over from the old country. No self respecting immigrant that is scrambling to make it in the new country is going to throw out perfectly good protein just because it comes from the innards or brains of the slaughtered animal. And they don't stop eating it when success comes either. We still serve it on Christmas eve for Swedish Smorgasbord. 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

17 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

How about boiled pigs feet?

A jar of pickled pigs feet used to be a staple at a lot of bars. Nothing like a little salty vinegar to boost beer sales.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

7 hours ago, fxfymn said:

A jar of pickled pigs feet used to be a staple at a lot of bars. Nothing like a little salty vinegar to boost beer sales.

In the small dive bars in Montana I've found lots of pickled foods behind the bar and love 'em.  Pickled eggs, pigs feet, peppers and sausages to name a few. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

This afternoons belly bomb from the Kushinski Deli, best eaten while the cab windows can stay open.  Sliced Kielbasi, boiled cabbage and onions, Stuffed Cabbage and some Mashed Potato's with Sour Cream and onions. All washed down with a bottle of Polish Kiwi Soda. .  Now if we could only send the after affect to North Korea.

post-3242-0-03395500-1345341207.jpg.6d81c8342b1d605d82cc7bfafea4ee98.jpg

Wish that was near me. Looks like Mom's cooking. She's 100% Polish

• Like 1