Fuel Gauge Wiring Questions

So I am new to this forum but know very little about automotive stuff. As a firefighter, I just bought a 1986 Mack CF series fire truck to restore and take to car shows. The fuel gauge reads full at ALL times. Is this a bad gauge? If so, I want to replace it but know nothing about the amps and ohms. I have looked online for replacement gauges for this vehicle but cannot answer those simple questions in order to purchase the right gauge. Also, several gauges have no illumination because the light bulbs are missing. The light bulbs are missing because the black plastic snap connectors that hold the bulbs in place are broken. My brother-in-law says that the wire will have to be snipped for the black plastic thing can be replaced. Is this true or can the black plastic thing be removed from the wire and simply replaced? What are they called and where can I find replacements? Can anyone help me? Thanks. Phil

Welcome to the forum.

Generally when the fuel gauge reads full all the time, 99% of the time you have a broken or bad  ground off the fuel gauge sending unit at the fuel tank.

The sockets for the gauge lights you can buy replacements at an auto parts store.(NAPA  is my preference) Yes the wire has to be cut and the new sockets spliced on in place of the old ones.     Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE