Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Freightrain

BILLYT to the waterlogged courtesy phone........

Recommended Posts

Hey.............so I'm at Thompson Saturday for a stick race and while I'm at my trailer waiting for another round this fellow comes up to me and says....."I know someone on a mack website that knows you.  He lives in Florida".   I kinda get that deer in the headlights looks and then I start to ponder.  Hmmm, Hat?  Nah............then he says "the guys name is Bill".   Hey, that's BILLYT!!   Yup.  Seems your buddy "Bob" wanted to tell me that whatever long legged story you try to make up about him.........is likely TRUE!

 

Hope you're weathering the storm okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think a bunch of us are on pins and needles waiting for atleast half decent news....bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the news snippets I've seen it is moving along and appears to be down on power and hope that it continues to derate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like there could be some good stories!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freightrain, Bob called me over the wknd.said he talked to you! Glad you two drag racing fools got to meet! His buddies friends daughter won "Jr dragster,"can't remember if it was at Thompson or Quaker city! We had no damage from Irma, but our powers been off since Tuesday! We're in a motel waiting for the power to go back on! Glad Hat City "dodged the bullet" He was lucky to have a generator! There wasn't one to be found in Hernando County! This is the first time in 25 yrs we've had an extended power outage! Tragically a lady down here bought a generator, somewhere in Pasco county, and ran it all night while her and her 7yr.old daughter were sleeping, had it in the house!! Her daughter is dead and she is in the hospital, from carbon monoxide poisoning! Every news report warns to not run one in the house!,and the warnings are printed all over the generator!, She'll live with that the rest of her life!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This story sounds damn sad. Unfortunately it becomes a common idea or life style to not needing any education on things, just paying them over and being Ok. No doubt such approach heads to losses. But nobody would think a loss might be a kid's life.

Hope you FL guys are getting Ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear you both weathered the stom in good shape.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya good news thanks for keeping in touch..fellas...too bad about that ugly story....nobody likes to hear that.....lots of of prayers for the poor mother:(....bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the sentiments guys! Our power went back on Thursday evening! We are back in the house,and can eat some cooked food! Got tired of Burger King and Micky Ds! That thing about the little kid dying is almost too awful to contemplate! Maybe the people who sell generators should give the buyers a verbal warning about not running them in a closed space and force them to sign a document to this effect,perhaps with pictures of funerals of those who died from carbon monoxide poisoning! with a fine for running generators in a closed space,like a code violation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure that generator came with a full packet of warnings and instructions.   Who ever reads them?  Some people just don't think much.   Just the reason a hair dryer has a warning tag on it to NOT use it in the tub.  Well, duh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our neighborhood is a disaster of debris.  Our neighborhood was the first in Winter Park to have the power lines buried.  As a result, even though it looks like a war zone, we never lost power.  I had the generator ready to go if we did though.

Sadly, a colleague's 84 year old neighbor attempted to fill her generator at night without shutting it off and while using a kerosene lantern as a light source.  As a result she's in the burn unit at Orlando Regional Medical Center, 2 of 3 dogs are dead and the house is going to be a bulldozer special once the insurance adjuster is done with it.

By Tuesday afternoon, we were getting alerts on our iphones (like the ones for Amber Alerts or Silver Alerts) about the dangers of operating generators indoors or near open windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General Ike, was wondering about you! Glad you're ok! My yard was unscathed, but we lost power for two days! Our neighborhood is ten years old, but has overhead utilities!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I'm sure that generator came with a full packet of warnings and instructions.   Who ever reads them?  Some people just don't think much.   Just the reason a hair dryer has a warning tag on it to NOT use it in the tub.  Well, duh.

Yes, speaking of which, it is best to throw away any hair dryer in your household that doesn't have a GFCI (ALCI) in it's cord.  Horrible tragic accidents have happened over the years and why have that risk in your house.  Old  hair dryers should be discarded.  Here a reprint from the web...

Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupters explained

The buttons are part of a device called an Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupter (ALCI). All hair dryers these days have them, for good reason.

Many years ago, the appliance industry received reports of hair dryers electrocuting small children in the bathtub, according to John Drengenberg, consumer safety director at UL, which develops product safety standards. “They would try to use it as a toy,” he says.

When an electrical appliance that’s plugged in is immersed in water, electricity can leak out of it and shock you. Unfortunately, circuit breakers in your home react too slowly to protect against electrocution (they’re designed primarily to prevent fires). Manufacturers started outfitting hair dryers with ALCIs after UL mandated them. If the ALCI detects a change in the electrical current, it will cut power to the appliance within a few milliseconds.

Related: 8 Ways You Didn’t Know You Could Get an Electric Shock or Electrical Burn

“We don't recommend tempting fate and trying it,” by immersing a hair dryer in water, says Drengenberg. But if you do it by accident, “it should protect you.”

If the ALCI cuts off the power to your hair dryer, turn it off and unplug it. Then press the reset button and plug it back in. The test button allows you to cut off power manually. It also, as its name suggests, allows you to test that the ALCI is working. Just plug the hair dryer in, press test, and the dryer should stop working. (To get it working again, unplug it and press the reset button.) Hair dryer manufacturers recommend testing the ALCI before each time you use the device, though that might be overkill.

Today, portable hair dryers without a circuit interrupter are considered hazardous and can be recalled, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, General Ike said:

Our neighborhood is a disaster of debris.  Our neighborhood was the first in Winter Park to have the power lines buried.  As a result, even though it looks like a war zone, we never lost power.  I had the generator ready to go if we did though.

Sadly, a colleague's 84 year old neighbor attempted to fill her generator at night without shutting it off and while using a kerosene lantern as a light source.  As a result she's in the burn unit at Orlando Regional Medical Center, 2 of 3 dogs are dead and the house is going to be a bulldozer special once the insurance adjuster is done with it.

By Tuesday afternoon, we were getting alerts on our iphones (like the ones for Amber Alerts or Silver Alerts) about the dangers of operating generators indoors or near open windows.

good to hear you made out fine General.

very sorry to hear about neighbor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope things get back to normal as fast as possible in FLA and TX and that Maria stays aways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear everyone survived more or less intact.

Unfortunately some folks seem more afraid of having their generator stolen then they are of dying, hence the need to run them indoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...