New or Old, that is the question

alleghneyag

Question

Hey Guys,

Need some advice.

My son and I are working on a short run, (30 miles), in the hills of WV.  Lots of sharp curves and steep hard pulls hauling waste from a local distiller to a farm.  About 2 miles of off road work.  Probably grossing 74 to 80 thousand.  Never able to get over 35 mph, town and small roads.  But got to run every day.

The dilemma, JD wants a newer truck, CH or GU.  Of coarse with my experience of cutting my teeth in these hills with a F model and 237 - 5 speed, to make this work and make some money, I think we should stay with the real Macks.  The name 'Volvo' and E7 and MP8 just doesn't compute in my head.

We have an E9 400 - 12speed in an RW and an ENDT 676 - 5 speed in an R model.  These ole trucks get the job done cheap.  We do most of our own mechanic work in our shop and know and have parts for the older Macks.  Know nothing about newer Macks except the horror stories I read on Big Mack Truck.

What is your opinion?  Am I old fashioned?  Will the new trucks take the abuse like the real Macks?  Or should I hold the line on staying with old Macks ?

Thanks so much for you time and opinion!

2 answers to this question