1965 Mack B615

nice lookin ride.....5x4s take a lotta practice thiers 2 gears you need to skip in full shift sequence   cant remember wich 2.off hand....but as you go along especially when empty you will find out you can skip quite a few,,,,no lugging is mainly important when your heavy and gearing up.such as long pulling grade dont do it......rottella is perfect or delo 400....reduction switch generally turns off steer brakes......engine brakes   depending on grade and weight usually dont hold well in high gears.....usually 3rd range is around the spot....yes turn on top of hill turn off bottom of hill real important.....magor engine damage if you forget  and release clutch at an idle....good luck hope this helps you ....have a ball with it.....bob

Nice truck.  My father saw this on the road on Saturday.    I think I have a picture of this truck that my father took in the late 70's.  I have a IH Fleetstar that belonged to your company.  I don't have any answers to your questions.  Good luck with it.  Mike. 

Very nice truck, I believe the dry/slippery switch either limits or stops the air going to the front breaks when it's in slippery mode. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Nice ride and welcome aboard. You have come to the right place for any help you might need.

Every lubricant guru I have heard speak or read an article from seems to think that the 15-40 Rotella is the best oil to use in older rigs. However, the formula recently changed to comply with new emissions and mileage requirements, so I'm not sure the new blend is still recommended. 

The "Dry-Wet" switch does limit the front brakes and I strongly urge you to disconnect it as it severely reduces the braking capacity of the truck. The use of it is especially thrilling in a fire truck when approaching a controlled intersection while feeling like you are gaining speed instead of stopping while applying the brakes.

Please try to bring the rig, with the roller on it, to the Macungie show next June. Great show and your rig would be a sure hit,

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Nice unit.  Should do well in your application.  The only thing I would have done differently is to keep the LED lighting.  They solve 95% of the problems people have with trailers.  I would have spent a few hours reversing the ground/power leads at each light.  From 1935 to 1977, my dad had a small local truck company.  I worked there as a teenager, and most trailer problems involved keeping those darn incandescent lights working.  

The dry/slippery switch cuts the air in half on the steering axle! Some three axle tractors I drove in the 70s had no brakes at all on the steering, presumably to avoid a steering tire or tires locking up on slippery roads and causing you to lose steering control! At some point this "feature" was no longer offered thank goodness!

• Like 1

Here are some filter numbers as I have a beast like yours but without the winch and exhaust brake.

Engine oil  - Wix 51233

Primary fuel - Wix 33405

Secondary fuel - Wix 33218

Think there is a filter in the power steering pump but I don't have that number. Good luck with the old gal and be gentle with it!

Thank you all for the wishes and the solid info you gave me.  Thank you Fuzzy Buzzard for those numbers, that makes it super easy.  The next trip I make will be this week to take the steamer to Hay Creek festival.  I will have the truck and roller at the show all weekend.

Thanks again!

I saw that Hay Creek is having ab antique auto/machinery section but I will not be able to make it. Hopefully you can bring it to Mack Day in Lititz on Oct 7.  

Here is the Fleetstar I mentioned.   Not a Mack and not too nice but I still like it.  Mike 

IMG_3737.JPG

• Like 1

I saw that Hay Creek is having ab antique auto/machinery section but I will not be able to make it. Hopefully you can bring it to Mack Day in Lititz on Oct 7.  

Here is the Fleetstar I mentioned.   Not a Mack and not too nice but I still like it.  Mike 

IMG_3737.JPG

Last one like that I was around had a DV550 in it, not a good engine!    terry

Last one like that I was around had a DV550 in it, not a good engine!    terry

This has a 549 V8 gas and a big top loader rear.  Definitely used for heavy hauling.  I would like to fix it up but it is low on my project list.  Mike. 

A friend  of  mine  bought   (and has since sold) one of  the  R models  Kreitz had. Doug Maney  found it for him.  Very straight  and original  before  he put a new dress on it. Al  post-510-0-09340000-1360418162_thumb.jpg.f279a48b9c62b79c740dbb9e062a3dc9.jpgpost-510-0-38731800-1360417703_thumb.jpg.8f052242237b16547bd4859d8587b86d.jpg

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

A B model with a V8 which is still being used, how rare is that?  I'm happy that you are as committed to it as you seem to be.  The quad will get easier with time, trust me.  And if you like hot, loud trucks that smell like oil I'd say you've got the right stuff.  Best of luck with it, and don't forget to keep us posted.  

• Like 2