Mack getting back into fire chassis????

When Mack sold the "MS" model later versions offered a four door option called the "Team Manager". It was marketed to utility companies and emergency services. Shortly thereafter, the "MS" model was discontinued. Perhaps Mack is going to offer a four door "LRU" to the utilities. In order to be a fire chassis the "LRU" would have to meet stringent NFPA requirements regarding fire chassis that are not found on commercial trucks, such as dual ignitions, rollover protection, etc. I doubt that Volvo and Mack would want to invest that much into a chassis that would sell in limited numbers. When the "MS" was sold, Mack offered a fire chassis version of the "R", "MC", and "MS" chassis. I know of one "Team Manager" in the fire service, a 1999 "MS"/KME in Washington, NH.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

I agree with bulldogboy, NFPA 1901 the Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus and NFPA1906 pretty stringent on what must be incorporated in Fire Apparatus. Building  Fire Apparatus has become a niche' market. My first assignment was as layout man on the backstep of a B85 model. then later worked off a CF--fond memories of tough trucks that kept working when others failed. 

When Mack sold the "MS" model later versions offered a four door option called the "Team Manager". It was marketed to utility companies and emergency services. Shortly thereafter, the "MS" model was discontinued. Perhaps Mack is going to offer a four door "LRU" to the utilities. In order to be a fire chassis the "LRU" would have to meet stringent NFPA requirements regarding fire chassis that are not found on commercial trucks, such as dual ignitions, rollover protection, etc. I doubt that Volvo and Mack would want to invest that much into a chassis that would sell in limited numbers. When the "MS" was sold, Mack offered a fire chassis version of the "R", "MC", and "MS" chassis. I know of one "Team Manager" in the fire service, a 1999 "MS"/KME in Washington, NH.

bulldogboy

The team manager was a bit of a flop. The truck wasn't robust enough for what most fire units of the day required.  The City of Toronto ordered 2 team managers that they never put into service. After the pdi and delivery to the city the trucks were found to be underpowered and had issues with handling and stopping once fully equipped. Even the factory plastic air lines in the chassis needed to be changed to braided at the dealer level as per Toronto spec. The 2 of them were sold and shipped to a Caribbean island. Too small for full size needs here in Toronto.

This LRU has potential and a better back bone to build on. Not even comparable to the up to 36k lb gvw available on a Midliner chassis.

Edited by bbigrig

Red Horse:

Middlefield's new tanker is built by 4 Guys Fire Apparatus of Meyersdale, PA; it has a 2700 gallon tank. It is not unusual for a pumper/tanker to carry a ladder. This gives it the ability to function

as a fully equipped pumper if it has to respond alone or fills in for an out of service pumper. Middlefield also has a 1959 Mack "B" model, semicab pumper as a parade unit.

bulldogboy

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 9:03 PM, bulldogboy said:

Red Horse:

Middlefield's new tanker is built by 4 Guys Fire Apparatus of Meyersdale, PA; it has a 2700 gallon tank. It is not unusual for a pumper/tanker to carry a ladder. This gives it the ability to function

as a fully equipped pumper if it has to respond alone or fills in for an out of service pumper. Middlefield also has a 1959 Mack "B" model, semicab pumper as a parade unit.

bulldogboy

Thx! Never saw your response until today.

• 2 weeks later...